RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Limp Mode Issue Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24 | 06:28 AM
meoflynn8
4th Gear

Default Limp Mode Issue Help

Hello, I have a 1999 AWD. Recently I noticed a loud whining coming from the transmission. I replaced the filter and fluid (used MaxLife, as suggested by posts I’ve seen). After replacing I let it sit for a couple days (did not run thru the gears after replacing fluid).

i took it to a friend’s and it was shifting like a dream, no slipping or anything. As soon as I got to my friend’s, I tried to put it in park but it was in total limp mode. Stuck in neutral but the shifter would freely (and very loosely) move but xmission still stuck in neutral. I checked the fluid level and it was around the “cold” mark on the dipstick so I added a little over a quart and a half to no avail. The original amount I added was 4 quarts (according to posts I’ve seen online) so that would bring the current level to about 5.6-5.75 quarts.

I was getting ready to sell the this car so you can imagine my disappointment to this new development. Any idea what could be the issue? Apologies if this isn’t the right place to post, I’m new to forums.

thanks in advance,
elliot
Old 01-20-24 | 07:30 AM
salimshah

Limp mode is when transmission is prevented to shift into overdrive which limits the driving speed [assuming folks drive at max of 3.5K rpm].

Are you sure your issue can be termed "limp mode".

By description of problem, you can have an issue with the shifter. The shift lever in the cabin is connected by cable to the transmission. This problem manifests by sloppy shifter (even locked) and the display not showing the gear selected. You can have an assistant check if the shifter lever is able to move the arm on the transmission. There is a DIY fix written up.

If it is the transmission then the symptoms are failure to move forward and some movement in reverse. For proper diagnosis, I would say have the vehicle transported to repair shop of your choice. Based on age/milage it might be time to dispose as is. I would save unnecessary towing charges from one shop to another. You are in the best position to make the cost/price evaluation based on its condition.

Salim
Old 01-20-24 | 07:43 AM
meoflynn8
4th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Limp mode is when transmission is prevented to shift into overdrive which limits the driving speed [assuming folks drive at max of 3.5K rpm].

Are you sure your issue can be termed "limp mode".

By description of problem, you can have an issue with the shifter. The shift lever in the cabin is connected by cable to the transmission. This problem manifests by sloppy shifter (even locked) and the display not showing the gear selected. You can have an assistant check if the shifter lever is able to move the arm on the transmission. There is a DIY fix written up.

If it is the transmission then the symptoms are failure to move forward and some movement in reverse. For proper diagnosis, I would say have the vehicle transported to repair shop of your choice. Based on age/milage it might be time to dispose as is. I would save unnecessary towing charges from one shop to another. You are in the best position to make the cost/price evaluation based on its condition.

Salim

Thank you so much for this well-articulated response. Yes, the shifter is sloppy (stuck in neutral on the dash). No reverse or anything. My friend suggested it may be the shifter but I’m very suspicious considering I just changed the filter and fluid. It very well could be an incredible coincidence for which I’d be very grateful as opposed to the transmission.

What would that indicate if the shifter lever is moving the arm on the transmission? That it’s the transmission that is the problem?

do you happen to have the link to the write up? Or what should I search to find it.
Old 01-20-24 | 08:17 AM
salimshah

try here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9011223

or search Shift linkage.

Salim
Old 01-20-24 | 06:08 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meoflynn8
I just changed the filter and fluid.
So you dropped the pan to change the filter. Any chance you bumped something or had some other misfortune that you didn't realize while you were doing that?
Old 01-21-24 | 06:57 AM
meoflynn8
4th Gear

Originally Posted by sktn77a
So you dropped the pan to change the filter. Any chance you bumped something or had some other misfortune that you didn't realize while you were doing that?
Feel free to laugh as I certainly did but when I was replacing the pan I had the dipstick still in and accidentally got it caught through one of the bolt holes and didn’t notice until I started tightening. Had to take some out and pull the dipstick out. Very embarrassing but kind of a funny story. Other than that, no I didn’t bump into anything.

do you know how much I’m supposed to put in? I’ve seen online 4.1 quarts for just the transmission but upon checking the level when the car/transmission was hot it was in the “cold” region of the dipstick.
Old 01-21-24 | 10:56 AM
salimshah

Good luck in determining the right level [maybe a bit easier with something other than Toyota Type IV].

With a warm transmission park at a level service.
Keep engine running [idle].
Maker sure you have previously or even before checking engage each gear position for about 30 sec. Bring back to Park.
Now check the transmission fluid level. You may have to wipe and try again multiple times.
Should not be above Max hot and if you are close, no bonus points to match the line.

Salim