RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Shift button sticking

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24 | 08:20 PM
BMS52
Driver School Candidate

Default Shift button sticking

2003 Rx300 shift button sticking some of the time. The brake pedal switch is working so I' am looking to replace the solenoid. The only diagram I can find shows 2 of them and I can't see why it would need two. Is this right?

Can somebody tell me the part number(s) to look for. If you can recommend where to go to get a decent price it would help too. As far as I can tell so far these things are pretty expensive.
Thanks
Brian
Old 01-23-24 | 09:39 PM
salimshah

Can you please recompose your post. I am sure what you state is clear as a bell to you, but to me it did not make enough sense.

Shift button sticking ... Can you pop the plastic cover near the base of the shifter and push a flat screwdriver to release the safety interlock?
Solenoid? Are you referring to the safety shifter interlock relay?
Brake pedal switch is working ... I assume a helper/mirror has confirmed that brake tail lights do come on.
Diagram shows 2 of them .. what is "them"? Switches on the brake-pedal?

You can visit the Lexus dealership with your vin number and they can look up the part number for you. You are not obligated to purchase from them, If you want to search yourself please go the Lexus on line part suppliers like Lexus of Atlanta and based on you model year drill down to the part. There is a parts diagram that can be useful too. There is always possibility that you may get a wrong part number by asking on the net. Most of the electrical parts are not refundable. So play it safe.

Lexus parts, specially OEM are not going to be cheap. I strictly buy parts from authorized dealers. Watch out for fakes which even come in Toyota boxes.

Salim
Old 01-24-24 | 04:26 AM
BMS52
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply Salimshah.

I believe I'm referring to the Shift interlock solenoid(s). See diagram here (https://parts.prestigelexus.com/a/Le...312.html#33560). The 2 part numbers I'm looking at are 3356048020 ($410) & 3356048100 ($1089). I'm having trouble understanding why 2 solenoids would be needed and why they are so ridiculously expensive. I expect I'll be using the little override button more and more in the future if I can't find a less costly solution.

Also, I have confirmed that the brake lights work both on my own and with a helper.
Thanks again
Brian

PS. Sorry my initial question wasn't easier to understand, I didn't know what I was looking when I wrote it. I'm pretty sure I still don't but I hope my question is clearer this time.

Old 01-24-24 | 08:34 AM
salimshah

Thank you and really appreciate that you have done the detailed work.

Let's try to zero in to what is wrong [I think that was your intention] and we will ignore the price of parts for now. To deal with price, you can start searching for the whole assembly being sold on eBay or other salvage yards. Just make sure they will accept return if the replacement does not work. You may have to eat the return shipping cost. Local pick a part may be the best option.

Important: Are you able to shift into gear if you do the manual release of the interlock? If yes then the relay is not operating and you should check for voltage [with a light tester ... voltmeter checks for voltage but not the current carrying capability].

Details: The switch on the brake pedal completes a 12v circuit and feeds the tail lights as well as the release of the interlock. The interlock is just an electromagnet which moves an arm out of the way of the shifter.
Apart from the electro-mechanical there can be mechanical issues that is preventing shifting. All of the above will help is eliminate the mechanical issue.

Salim
Old 01-24-24 | 11:21 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Originally Posted by BMS52
Thanks for the reply Salimshah.

I believe I'm referring to the Shift interlock solenoid(s). See diagram here (https://parts.prestigelexus.com/a/Le...312.html#33560). The 2 part numbers I'm looking at are 3356048020 ($410) & 3356048100 ($1089). I'm having trouble understanding why 2 solenoids would be needed and why they are so ridiculously expensive. I expect I'll be using the little override button more and more in the future if I can't find a less costly solution.

Also, I have confirmed that the brake lights work both on my own and with a helper.
Thanks again
Brian

PS. Sorry my initial question wasn't easier to understand, I didn't know what I was looking when I wrote it. I'm pretty sure I still don't but I hope my question is clearer this time.
Both of those parts shown have the same number on the diagram. They also have differences in the "what this fits" list
SHIFT INTERLOCK SOLENOID Part Number: 3356048020 Supersession(s): 33560-48020; 8593333040
Lexus RX 300 1999, 2000, 2001

SHIFT INTERLOCK SOLENOID Part Number: 3356048100 Supersession(s): 33560-48100
Lexus RX 300 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003

Probably best to search by vin or take out the old one to see what it is. Given those prices I'd probably take it out first to be sure it's broken and can't be repaired and see what the part number is.

Old 01-24-24 | 04:31 PM
bluebunny
Driver

I don't know if it will help but my '99 4runner had a 'shifter didn't work' problem and there was a separate fuse for that. The brake lights worked but the shifter wouldn't shift without using the special button. Have you checked every fuse ?
Old 01-25-24 | 03:09 AM
BMS52
Driver School Candidate

Default Shift Button Sticking

The car was in the shop yesterday and I asked the mechanic to take a look at the problem. This is the same guy that's taken care of it for well over 10 years now.

He said the brake pedal switch is working fine and putting out the correct voltage. The problem is that the Solenoid seems to be "sticking" ........ but only some of the time.

I now feel confident that I need to replace or repair the solenoid. I'll start looking for a decent price for part # 3356048100 and I'll also start looking at how to repair a solenoid.

Being in my 70's, this is the kind of repair I enjoy working on. The ones where you spend the day under the car wear me out anymore.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Brian

Old 01-25-24 | 08:45 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by BMS52
The car was in the shop yesterday and I asked the mechanic to take a look at the problem. This is the same guy that's taken care of it for well over 10 years now.

He said the brake pedal switch is working fine and putting out the correct voltage. The problem is that the Solenoid seems to be "sticking" ........ but only some of the time.

I now feel confident that I need to replace or repair the solenoid. I'll start looking for a decent price for part # 3356048100 and I'll also start looking at how to repair a solenoid.

Being in my 70's, this is the kind of repair I enjoy working on. The ones where you spend the day under the car wear me out anymore.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Brian
In circuit testing is a must. So check for voltage [with test light] on the solenoid. It is a simple electromagnet. Test if the electromagnet is being enabled to isolate the electrical nature and then also check if the locking arm move freely or has a snag. The electromagnet part is really very simple as long as the wire coming to it brings in voltage with current capacity. A rusted connecter will allow voltage to pass but it will not be able to handle current. Although anything can go wrong but i doubt that the solenoid is bad.

Salim