RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Stupid oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-03, 07:09 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid oil change question

I changed my oil for the first time today (Mobil 1 5W 30), used a Toyota USA Production Oil Filter with different holes than the Japan part number.

I bought a new crush washer but when I took off the plug there was no crush washer. I then noticed there was a metal ring on the oil pan where the oil plug goes. I figured that was a crush washer and didn't put a new one on. I tried to remove that raised ring on the oil pan but it wouldn' t budge.

Is that ring welded on to the pan or did the old crush washer just get stuck to the pan?

Sorry for the dumb question.
Old 11-17-03, 07:10 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

toy4two,

If the oil change was for an RX330, could you go over the steps necessary to get to the oil filter. Did you use ramps, jack stands, or was the car tall enough to crawl under and get to the oil filter.

I went the the Lexus parts department and bought a couple of "oil drain plug gaskets". Cost for each was $1.50 .

JL
Old 11-17-03, 07:23 AM
blk99rx
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

It most likely was the washer you saw on the pan. If it's not leaking you are fine. Adding an additional washer next time wouldn't hurt either.

To get the oil filter off I stand on the passenger side of the car and reach under the exhaust manifold. If it's still warm be careful and wear a long glove or put some rags on your arm. This is the quickest way I've found and you don't have to take off the plastic panel underneath. I like how I don't even have to jack the RX to get the drain plug. Change oil in 10 min!

Last edited by blk99rx; 11-17-03 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-17-03, 08:24 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

blk99rx,

This is on a RX330? If so, do you have enough room to use an oil wrench? How do you prevent the oil from dripping on the plastic panel when you remove the oil filter?
Old 11-17-03, 08:20 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default rx300

this was on a RX300
Old 11-18-03, 06:19 AM
blk99rx
Driver School Candidate

bought the car used so the first time I was getting the filter off I did it from below with the panel off. I used a wrench to break it free and then finished it from above. Any oil will go down the front of the block and into the drain bucket. As soon as you feel the last thread, tip the filter down and stand it up. Slowly fish the filter through the hoses. Putting the new one you can see the filter threads through the exhaust manifold. Use a good filter with nice gasket, cheap insurance. Hand tighten plus a 1/4 turn and next time you will do it all from above.

Last edited by blk99rx; 11-18-03 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 04:09 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Wink RX 300 oil change instructions.

blk99rx is right !

I've done it both ways and will continue doing it from the top. A must is to reverse the horn. See my web site for detailed pics and instructions: RX300 How2

There is always oil spill from the filter as noted in the previous post, put a rag under the filter when removing and lots of news paper on the floor !
Old 11-19-03, 04:33 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDy, so you don't even use the slow drip method that's supposed to work to let the oil drain slowly into a pan, allegedly missing engine and chassis parts? I want to try this. tks for the horn tip!
Old 11-20-03, 05:57 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Hey Bob, life's too short for slow drip! Especially when one has three vehicles to maintain. Ed.
Old 11-23-03, 05:42 AM
parula
Instructor

I'm going to get a bunch of rags and stuff the area under the filter next time and try your approach once I break the filter loose with the wrench. tks for the how2 tips.
Old 11-23-03, 03:33 PM
johnnieliu
Driver

parula,

I was thinking the same thing. But, how will you prevent oil from getting on the fan blade, exhaust manifold, etc., when you take out the oil soaked rags/towels?

JL
Old 11-23-03, 06:32 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Bob, actually, it is impossible to get the rags in under the filter. I have not been able to limit the amount of oil that drains out the bottom of the engine compartment. The floor will be the best place for newspaper/rags. Even getting your drain pan over to where it will leak out will work. Try changing the filter from the bottom once and you will be able to see how this works.

Ed.
Old 11-24-03, 07:44 AM
blk99rx
Driver School Candidate

when I take the filter off i just turn int a few times and let it sit. The oil will down the front of the block and go in the pan. Take old filter, put in new and then wipe up the front of the block and oil pan. No probs.
Old 11-24-03, 03:50 PM
parula
Instructor

Ed, I have done it from down under that's why I am ready to try anything else!

I am going to try to make a funnel device that will fit under the filter area as one removes it to catch ALL the oil, let you know how it works, or not. Some months off.
Old 11-24-03, 03:53 PM
parula
Instructor

blk99rx, if my funnel doesn't work I'll be wiping the block too or just waiting for the burnoff.
I just hate unnecessary messes.

Quick Reply: Stupid oil change question