RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Anyone Change the Windshield Wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 01:31 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone changes the windshield wipers

Sorry guys, but I've got another dumb newbie question.

Has anyone changed their own windshield wiper blades (not arms, just blades)? That seems like a dumb question but my wife and I have owned Acura's in the past that were a monster pain the butt to change out the wiper blades. If you have done it, is it fairly straightforward and easy?

I'm thinking its time to replace all three wipers as they're all original with 3 years and 55K on them and not working as well as I'd like.
Old 11-20-03, 06:11 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Da,

Yup, after 3 years it is definitely time to replace. It will take you under one minute each to remove the wiper holder from the vehicle considering it is your first time.

The rubber blade can be replaced or the entire blade and metal holder (all the bits that clamp on the blade and move to conform to the surface of the glass) can be replaced for a higher price.

Decide if you need just the blade replacements (typical). In either case you will need to take the mechanisum off the wiper arm. There is a simple latch that fits in the end of the wiper arm. Undo that and you can inspect the entire wiper off the vehicle.

You should see how the rubber blade slips out one end of the wiper mechanisum. Then you can evaluate if you can get the rubber blade out from one end.

Ed
Old 11-21-03, 10:35 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone changes the windshield wipers

Originally posted by Da Hapa
Sorry guys, but I've got another dumb newbie question.

Has anyone changed their own windshield wiper blades (not arms, just blades)? That seems like a dumb question but my wife and I have owned Acura's in the past that were a monster pain the butt to change out the wiper blades. If you have done it, is it fairly straightforward and easy?

I'm thinking its time to replace all three wipers as they're all original with 3 years and 55K on them and not working as well as I'd like.
Thanks Ed. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.

Christian "Da Hapa" Asis
Old 11-22-03, 04:39 PM
Hopeful
Rookie

Default Did you try it yet?

I gave it a go a couple weeks ago and could not, for the life of me, get the new blades on. I had to take it to the dealer and have them install them. (Which they did.) However, now my wipers make this sound when they wipe. Before, my wipers were very quiet. Now, I hear this "click" when they come up. Very annoying....

linda
Old 11-23-03, 11:21 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have a good source for Lexus wiper blade refills? This is usually a problem no matter what make you have. The rubber blades wear out and the dealer wants so much for the factory refills that it is cheaper to buy the whole aftermarket assembly (Trico, Bosh, etc.) from an auto parts store. Then you always need to find refills for whatever brand wipers you purchased.
Old 11-23-03, 01:37 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by mikey00
Anyone have a good source for Lexus wiper blade refills?
I haven't installed them yet, but I got my replacement inserts from www.irontoad.com . I would think that any of the ClubLexus Lexus parts suppliers would have them.
Old 11-24-03, 06:00 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Re: Did you try it yet?

linda,

Maybe this will help. a picture is worth a thousand words...

Change RX 300 wiper blades

Ed

Originally posted by Hopeful
I gave it a go a couple weeks ago and could not, for the life of me, get the new blades on. I had to take it to the dealer and have them install them. (Which they did.) However, now my wipers make this sound when they wipe. Before, my wipers were very quiet. Now, I hear this "click" when they come up. Very annoying....

linda
Old 11-24-03, 06:09 PM
bob2200
Driver

Ed,

Thanks for the great graphic presentation. It looks like replacement is the same way it was done on my 1972 Mercedes-Benz. It's nice to know some things haven't changed.
Old 08-19-06, 02:27 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Does someone have a more current link that shows us maintenace challenged people how to change wiper blades? I've got Bosch Micro Edge replacements and don't want th break anything.

The old link in this thread doesn't work

Thanks
Old 08-19-06, 04:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Purchase refil blades from Lexus. [I would only reccomend buying oem. The lenghts are different as well].

Raise the wiper arm till it locks.
Examine the point at which the wiper rotates on the arm. You should see a "U" hook. Objective is to release the wiper from the arm and pull it out from the open end.
Swing the wiper away from the arm and get your index finger near the pivot point.
Reach-in and you would be able to squeeze locking clip towards the arm.
Pull downwards to release the wiper from the arm [open end of the "u" hook].
Once the wiper is released, examine both ends.
One end should be free and there should be a "v" stopper at the other end.
Give a sharp yank to remove the stopper and pull out the wiper blade.
Match the lenght with the new blades to ensure you are using the right one.
The wiper blade (rubber) is firmed up by two steel blades. They will practically fall off the wiper. It would be nice if you can keep track of which edge meets the rubber.
There are two length wise grooves/cuts in the insert. The thin slot towards the back [edge away from the wiping edge] is for the steel blades and the thicker grove is for the claws [edge of the hanger like metal ... portion that you slide out and will soon insert the wiper in].
The most difficult part is to insert the steel blades in the new wiper blade. When done correctly the steel blades are fully burried in the rubber.
You have to match the cuts in the blades to the forms in the wiper. If the steel blades are sticking out of the rubber, then you have not assembled it right.
The wiper blades have a channel right below where you inserted the steel blades. This channel is for the claws.
Thread the wiper + blades in the arm. [Note the wiper + blades MUST glide freely in the claws ... this is how the wiper hugs the non flat surface of the windshield]. Threading is done with a push action to get the open end of the wiper into a claw, but then use pull action to get to the next claw. All the time squeeze the sides of the blade to prevent the steel blades from falling out.
Slight force would be needed to push the end "v" to lock the refil in place.
Ensure the shape of the wiper in the claws is correct (and the insert can move easliy) before re-attaching to the arm.
Hook on the wiper to the arm [this step is easy but can be counter intutive] .. look for the open end of the "U" and and snap the blade in.

Tip: Do one wiper at a time ... this way you can look at the other to ensure proper fit.

Discalimer/Caution:
The steel blades are thin an have a sharp edge. Don't injure yourself.
The process is simple, but if not done right, the wiper blade may get out of the claws and you can scratch your windsheild.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-20-06 at 09:02 AM. Reason: slot description
Old 08-19-06, 04:34 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't sure if the instructions for the RX330 would be the same or not. Based on Salim's post, it does sound like the same thing. So here's the page out of the RX330 service manual with a couple of pictures.

And I agree with using the OEM blade refills. At my dealer they were $7 a piece, which is as much as a complete aftermarket blade (holder + rubber), but the OEM blade lasts just as long if not longer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wiper Rubber Replacement.pdf (15.8 KB, 577 views)
Old 08-19-06, 07:32 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A little additional information ...

It makes a difference on how the metal backing plates are installed in the new blade inserts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lbo00495.pdf (67.0 KB, 375 views)
Old 08-20-06, 08:48 AM
weinkaufjr
Driver School Candidate

I little dish soap helps everything slid back together.
Old 08-22-06, 08:29 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I am not happy with the Lexus OEM inserts I bought, they only last a year (and I hardly use them in San Diego).

Is there any aftermarket inserts we can use instead, I don't want to replace the arm, just the blade, just not happy with the Lexus ones (not to mention the cost!).
Old 08-23-06, 04:59 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by toy4two
I am not happy with the Lexus OEM inserts I bought, they only last a year (and I hardly use them in San Diego).
Is the car parked in the sun every day? If so, that would explain it. Are you using the CL Sponsor mail-order sources (since you mentioned concern over cost)?

Quick Reply: Anyone Change the Windshield Wipers?