RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Power locks issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-24, 06:08 PM
Obscurations
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obscurations
Okay so I am not entirely sure what is going on in the videos but I have found the issue. Just not sure how to describe it, so I made videos showing it.

This is the OEM Actuators that came with the car when I got it 4 years ago:
https://youtube.com/shorts/zcYFlXJgVh4?feature=share

This is the new aftermarket actuators I got from Parts Geek that doesn't want to work with the outside keyhole lock and is kind of stiff on the inside thumb lock when using key fob or master lock:
https://youtube.com/shorts/XRCtatFfKCM?feature=share
(Ignore my heavy breathing btw, my phone has 0 noise cancelling and I'm out of shape)
The first video was made 2 minutes before the second one, I just took off the old one off with a few screws and put the new one on.
You might see a small bend in the lock cable, that was caused by the failure to put it on correctly the first time after taking it off when I tried to cut open the actuators. The bend does not affect anything (I think) because it does not interact with the cable sleeve nor the part that goes on the actuator.

Can anyone describe the issue here? Is there some mechanism that's inside the actuator that connects the 2 levers on the outside or is it something else?
I have already started the return for these new ones and I am buying a cheaper set from amazon, cause I can't find anything else that's not absurdly expensive per actuator (granted I did like 2 seconds of research but oh well amazon is fast delivery and good enough reviews. That will be here Wednesday. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I will wait until 4 pm thread time tomorrow to put the assembly back in my car so people can recommend me test something if they want, but I will need my car back after that.
Okay so I got the 4 actuators from amazon today and everything worked as intended at first. But it has some weird quirks that I can't figure out.
It has the same problem as the other actuator but not as bad. Like it is still stiffer than the factory one but not as stiff as the other new set, but for some reason, the first time I installed it, it had the same issue, the outside key hole would lock but not unlock, but then I took it out, tinkered with it and tested a few things, and when I reinstalled it, now the outside key hole unlocked but didn't lock?? The only thing I can think that might be different is the position of it being locked or unlocked when installed in the door? I have no idea why it is giving me so much grief but I rarely even use the outside key hole so I might just install it and not even worry about that issue ngl.

Last edited by Obscurations; 07-10-24 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-11-24, 10:39 AM
Obscurations
Driver

Little update, installed and key fob didn't work for a while but I figured out why, for anyone who comes across this post doing what I'm doing and replacing lock actuators, if for some reason after plugging in the actuator and installing it, the key fob doesn't work at all, try locking and unlocking using the outside key hole with your key and regardless on if it locks/unlocks or not, that fixes the key fob (at least for me). Absolutely no clue why but okay.
Old 07-11-24, 02:54 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Little update, installed and key fob didn't work for a while but I figured out why, for anyone who comes across this post doing what I'm doing and replacing lock actuators, if for some reason after plugging in the actuator and installing it, the key fob doesn't work at all, try locking and unlocking using the outside key hole with your key and regardless on if it locks/unlocks or not, that fixes the key fob (at least for me). Absolutely no clue why but okay.
FYI ... There is a built-in safety to the wireless receiver. A while back [during production year of first gen] smart thieves were using scanner/broadcasters to flood the signal. RX receiver would disable itself. If another RX owner uses his/her key fob in your RX vicinity, your RX and the base frequency [not the hand-shake code], your RX will turn off the receiver and physical key has to be used.

Note: Just having the key-fob may lock you out of your RX.

Salim
Old 07-11-24, 03:54 PM
Obscurations
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
FYI ... There is a built-in safety to the wireless receiver. A while back [during production year of first gen] smart thieves were using scanner/broadcasters to flood the signal. RX receiver would disable itself. If another RX owner uses his/her key fob in your RX vicinity, your RX and the base frequency [not the hand-shake code], your RX will turn off the receiver and physical key has to be used.

Note: Just having the key-fob may lock you out of your RX.

Salim
That makes sense, thanks for explaining. Quick question: Can I program a new key fob when only the driver door locks and unlocks properly and all the other doors do this in the video?
My dad was able to program it to start the car but not the buttons when all of the doors weren't working.
Old 07-11-24, 07:22 PM
salimshah

Check CBEST settings.

Lot of features [well kind of limited] back in '98 these were dealer settings. If you have Tecstream you can perform these functions/settings.

Salim
Old 07-11-24, 07:28 PM
Obscurations
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Check CBEST settings.

Lot of features [well kind of limited] back in '98 these were dealer settings. If you have Tecstream you can perform these functions/settings.

Salim
Just read an thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-or-cbest.html) on what CBEST is, am I able to check that with the Blue Driver scanner or do I need to buy / rent something for that?
Just realized I think you misunderstood me, When I say I can't program a key fob because of the doors, I mean the door locks where you have to lock and unlock 5 times to program a new key fob to make the buttons work. The key fob I currently have that came with the car works just fine at unlocking all 4 doors.

I was asking if when only the driver door lock is functional but the method of programming keys uses the master switch for lock/unlock, am I able to program a new key regardless of the fact that 3/4 doors are still broke.

Last edited by Obscurations; 07-11-24 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-12-24, 08:06 AM
salimshah

my bad.

I thought you wanted to lock/unlock driver door vs all locks.

Salim