RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

advise on struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-24, 02:59 PM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

Play in LCA bushings changes the way the tire meets the road. In ideal circumstances the [perfect road and going strait with minimal change in speed], you will not get vibration in the steering due to bad bushings. Yet you can encounter catastrophic failure if they separate [1 or 2 or all 3 points]. Not to drive fear, but the play changes the sustained force into dynamic blow as the direction changes [weight of a hammer vs swing of the same hammer]. I would urge you replace if you say a play in any suspension part.

Tire wear abnormality is also based on how bad the LCA bushing play is. It can be masked out by rotation of tires [made less obvious] and if alignment is performed. A good alignment shop would refuse alignment if there is a play in any suspension part.

Salim.
Old 07-15-24, 06:08 PM
Obscurations
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Play in LCA bushings changes the way the tire meets the road. In ideal circumstances the [perfect road and going strait with minimal change in speed], you will not get vibration in the steering due to bad bushings. Yet you can encounter catastrophic failure if they separate [1 or 2 or all 3 points]. Not to drive fear, but the play changes the sustained force into dynamic blow as the direction changes [weight of a hammer vs swing of the same hammer]. I would urge you replace if you say a play in any suspension part.

Tire wear abnormality is also based on how bad the LCA bushing play is. It can be masked out by rotation of tires [made less obvious] and if alignment is performed. A good alignment shop would refuse alignment if there is a play in any suspension part.

Salim.
My dad didn't think the lower control arms were that bad if I didn't feel anything on the road, but he hadn't seen the wheel move like I showed in the video earlier. I showed him the video and he said "Oh wow yea those need to be replaced badly." Probably thought I was going off what the mechanic said and hadn't checked myself and thought I was scamming myself lol. But yeah, both of us completely agree with you and we will replace it (eventually, hopefully soon)

The $80 Monroe struts are coming in the mail Wednesday and we will put them in this weekend, so I will update then.

The lower control arms likely won't be bought until next paycheck unless I get a loan from the parents.
Old 07-15-24, 07:26 PM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

I might have added a DIY post on LCA. I remember sliding on the garage floor. It is doable as DIY provided there is no rust [I had no need to saw off or heat].

Word of caution on suspension ... face the fasteners but toque them after the vehicle is on the ground. You don't want the rubber busing twisted one the vehicle is in normal position.

Salim