RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

My first accident...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 09:09 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My first accident...

I just had my first accident with the RX.
Well it snows really hard here in Philadelphia, and so I went out for a drive to see the city in the snow.
Driving back home, I'm on Kelley dr. going by the river, when I lose control over the car, I head towards the guard rails on the side of the road (going around 35mph). ready to crash into the fence, I hear a really big impact and the car come to a standstill. I drive it over to the side, and go out waiting to see this huge damage, but nothing not a scratch I do however notice that the rim was hit pretty hard, although not broken.
I start driving and notice the steering is all wrong, and that the front wheels aren't alligned perfectly. the wheel that was hit is a bit to the right. and the car does'nt go straight and its hard to control it, like the steering has less of an effect. although no visible damge is seen, under the car.
Well I plan on getting it to the shop tommorow, any ideas what should I expect?

Last edited by IsraelRX; 12-05-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-05-03, 11:03 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Fortunately, no body damage and hopefully no structural damage beneath the skin, although it sounds like your wheel had to absorb the full force of impact. Good luck, and let us know what the shop says!

P.S. I would be willing to bet that with good winter tires you would not have lost traction while going around that bend, assuming your actual speed was in fact around 35 mph.
Old 12-06-03, 03:30 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

It was 35, and I agree because I was driving behind a Ford Escape with snow tires who hasd no problems...
any sugesstions for good snow tires?
Old 12-06-03, 04:33 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. You likely will be looking at replacing most of the suspension components for the right front wheel. Hope you didn't hit hard enough to also deform the shock tower. Then, of course, there is the question of driveline components.

I'd have it trucked (can't say towed anymore, I guess) to the dealer rather than drive it, btw.
Old 12-06-03, 10:55 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by IsraelRX
It was 35, and I agree because I was driving behind a Ford Escape with snow tires who hasd no problems...
any sugesstions for good snow tires?
If you have 18 inch wheels (and assuming you want to stay with 18 inch wheels if you would buy a separate set) then your only option in the stock size is Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's. They are $129 each at TireRack.com.
Old 12-07-03, 03:44 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same thing happen to me many years ago in my Honda. The wheel hit the curb and then the steering was all out wack afterwards.

It cost a heck of a lot at the time to get the entire front suspection and steering fixed and I believe it wasn't the same ever since (even after the fix).

I hate curbs.
Old 12-07-03, 07:50 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about the accident. At least no body damage which is a great thing cause that would cost lota mola. Good luck w/ everything keep us posted.

o3 solar IS
Old 12-07-03, 11:47 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I slid into a curb with my Acura in the snow, it wasn't that bad... the alignment was a little bit off, but the car drove fine... I just had a front wheel alignment done and it was just like new... but I was probably going like 10, 15 max though, good luck!
Old 12-08-03, 08:39 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

I was just quoted 1700$ for a bent rod, tire and wheel rplacement and work,,,
Old 12-08-03, 10:15 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Ouch. But it could have been worse. The car could have when up or down an embankment or slope and rolled. And at least you weren't injured.
Old 12-08-03, 12:54 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Would you guys involve the insurance company, or just go ahead pay the thing and keep you record clean?
Old 12-08-03, 01:07 PM
o8yb
Rookie

In this case I will pay out from my own pocket (I have $1000 dedutible) so another $700 really don't make a big different. Also I will shop around and see if I can get better deal. Tell the company you will pay cash and no insurance claim and something they give you discount.
Old 12-09-03, 06:46 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

I have one more Question: Does such an accident (bent tie-rod, bent wheel...) with no body damage still considered as an accident, when selling the car?

Last edited by IsraelRX; 12-09-03 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-09-03, 06:57 AM
bracky
Driver School Candidate

Yes
Old 12-09-03, 08:08 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

hope that didn't damage ur suspension and anything else underneath. I know how u felt, even though i got rear ended and got bumper damage, front and back, scratched grill, few scratches on the hood beccause i got sandwiched, spare tire floor got pushed in, messed up muffler system because the nissan altima just went under my rx, it's just a real pain. I wanted to knock the s*** out of that b**** but thought, well, luckily it saved my mom, who was the one driving it when it got into an accident.

Quick Reply: My first accident...