RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Trying To Sell My 2000 Rx 300 ...no Luck? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 02:38 PM
okielex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying To Sell My 2000 Rx 300 ...no Luck? Why?

I have been trying to sell my 2000 RX 300 and have had no luck. It has been advertised in the truck trader, autotrader.com, local classfieds, and now it is on Ebay. I have had one person come and look at it right when I first put it up for sale and had a price on it of $23,750 and she was going to buy it, but the deal fell through cause she could not get financed. I have been trying to sell it for a month now and have had hardly any calls and no one has looked at it since. I have also noticed it is the best deal in the Trucktrader when you compare it to the other 2000 RX300's. So what is the deal??? I have now dropped the price all the way down to $22,499 and can not go any further...this is below all book values (nada, kelly blue book, edmunds etc). This RX is very, very nice............PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS!!!!!

2000 Lexus RX300, it is a one owner, 51k miles, pearl white with tan leather, AWD, Premium package, Moonroof, luggage rack, cd changer, heated seats, perfect carfax, and much, much more.......

Thanks......

Last edited by LexRX; 12-08-03 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 03:56 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Perhaps your area is saturated with RX's for sale - either that or no one is buying around the holiday season; there are many incentives to buy new cars at this time of the year. Try finding a way to differentiate yours from the others other than with your price. Hopefully you have the "run until it sells" ad in autotrader and you can hang in there.

Last edited by LexRX; 12-08-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 05:15 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see what the going market value for your year can is in your area. Persoally, I use the blue book only as a ball park estimate. It really is the market value (What people are willing to pay) that matters. My cars book value is probably around $18-$20K, but I can sell it for $30K without much trouble. The same can be said the other way around. Even if the book value is $XX, people in your area may not be willig to pay that price, so you have to go lower to what they are willing to pay. However, like LexRX said, if you are in no hurry, someone probably will look at your car eventually.
Old 12-08-03, 05:52 PM
o8yb
Rookie

Bad timing. People usually don't buy expensive used car around holiday season. People may want to buy new ones due to incentive and they don't have time to shop, walk into a dealer and see the car they want, sign the paper and go. Used cars take time to shop and people already busy all those holiday parties and such.

If I am going to buy a used car soon, I would rather enjoy all the parties and holiday fun and kept driving my old car until the holiday is gone. I don't think I am going to call a private party, make an appointment and then test drive the car, and do the same thing again for another car. No way, I won't do that at this time.

I don't know the current market price for your car. Back in June/July your car would be sold for $27000+ without any problem in my area and you will sell in a week. A used 1999 2WD with 60K+ mile will be sold for $24000 in local Lexus dealer within three days (people sign up waiting list to get a used RX300 and I was one of them).

Also luck plays an important role. When I tried to sell my 1994 Prelude in 1998, I waited almost two months and got not a single call. I almost want to drop my car price for another $2000 to close to its trade in value. Then all of suddenly, my co-worker's friend wanted it baddly and paid the original asking price. Sometime you just have to wait.

Wish you luck.

Sam
'04 RX330 AWD Performance pkg

Last edited by o8yb; 12-08-03 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 07:32 PM
slowtan
Driver

Default Service history

In Houston the only thing that slows down a RX sale is if it wasn't serviced by a Lex dealer for the entire life. I have never serviced my vehicle at a Lexus dealer as I do my own work but the RX I bought has full records of being service by Lexus, so that made me feel more secure .

Just a thought

Stephen
Old 12-08-03, 07:54 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having recently purchased damn near the identical vehicle, let me hit you with my thoughts.

1) Bad timing due to new cars. Its the "December to Remember" after all and if people have the urge to splurge on a luxury car, they're probably inclined to purchase a new car rather than a used one. Especially when you consider that you can probably lease a new RX330 for not much more than financing a used 300 (36 or 48 months).
2) Bad timing due to used cars. The 2001 cars RX300's are probably starting to come off lease right now. I'd imagine most buyers want a newer car even if the difference is only one year.
3) Your area. Without knowing your local demographics, I can tell you that your vehicle would probably sell like hotcakes here in S. CA but not to the buyer you'd think. Instead of a 35 year old professional, it will probably be some young lady in Newport Beach's first wheels.

Your car looks great. It has the right equipment, the right color and the right miles. More importantly, I think the price is good. Hang in there and you should be able to realize what you're looking to get out of it.
Old 12-09-03, 06:34 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a 99 rx300 with 70k miles black/tan AWD, LSD, premium package, moonroof, roof rack, cd-changer, heated seats, with new tires, new pads and rotors, 1 owner lexus dealer serviced with full service records and clean carfax and carcheck... and i bought it from a local non-lexus dealer with warranty for $17,800.... I think more than $5000 difference from the price you are trying to sell it for. I know your car has 20k miles less and it's 1 year newer but the price difference may not be warranted. I live in NY and bought it right before thanksgiving...... I know in other states the car may sell for more but i agree with the others that it may be the area that you are in....

good luck with the sale.
Old 12-09-03, 06:52 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

I'm in the same boat. See my sig.

Had one person show up interested at $19k but my dumbazz was still thinking $21k or thereabouts. Now, I'm not sure I can get $18k currently.........with it advertised for $19k, I've had zero calls. DaHapa's conclusions are identical to the factors that I decided were in play. Would have kept the 300 till next summer but SHE decided it was time..........that's married life for ya.

But she's happy and that's worth quite a lot to me.
Old 12-10-03, 01:29 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default is it too expensive?

I bought my 2000 RX300 (55K miles) from Ebay in May this year. The final bid priice was 18250, dealer prep 250, extra key 80, new set of manuals 20, new cd changer cassette 20, upholstery cleaning for 100, used cargo area cover for 90, new tires for 600, new wipers for 25, bumper protector for 84 and transporation for 700.

The grand total was $20,219 before taxes and registration. I had to add other costs mentioned above because they were not in the car to begin with or had deteriorated beyhond normal wear (e.g. tires).

My car was advertised as in "very good" condition on E-bay but obviously, you can tell by the amount of extra money I spent that it wasn't "very good". I would think it's more like a "average" condition.

Anyways, if your car truly in "outstanding" condition, you should not compromise on price. Just give it little more time.

Last edited by MellonC00; 12-10-03 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 01:45 PM
okielex
Rookie

Default 2wd OR AWD?

MellonC00, Is your RX300 2wd or AWD? Because if it is AWD you got one heck of a deal.

My RX300 does not need any other the items you had to purchase except for a extra key.......

Thanks, Spencer
Old 12-11-03, 10:34 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

My car is a 2WD. No traction control. No set heaters. No NAV. It does have everything else. Dealer list price when new was 37K.

I think I got a good deal but it required a serious interior cleaning and that took the most amount of time. Good luck with your car.
Old 12-11-03, 10:45 AM
okielex
Rookie

Default O.K. THAT MAKES SENSE NOW....

O.K..........That makes much more sense now. We are talking a whole lot more SUV here. Mine is basically loaded except for Navi and clean, clean, clean. No scrub'n down this Lexus!

Thanks......
Old 12-11-03, 10:58 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

There is absolutely nothing wroing with your price. I'd just say you should just wait a bit until the holidays are over.
Old 12-11-03, 11:04 AM
okielex
Rookie

Default I think you are right....

MellonC00, I totally agree with you.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-03, 05:51 AM
jime
Driver School Candidate

Cool

I have had extremely good experience recently selling used cars on Yahoo Auto.

In October I listed my daughter’s 98 Civic DX 5-speed and it sold in 4 hours for $200 over what she was “hoping” for.

On Nov. 13 I listed my 95 6-speed Legend coupe with 142,000 miles and it sold in 10 days for $10,500 - $1,300 above Edmund’s Retail price and $3,300 above Edmund’s private party price.

Good luck with your sale.

Quick Reply: Trying To Sell My 2000 Rx 300 ...no Luck? Why?