RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust Leak and Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 07:44 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Leak and Warranty?

Took my wife's 99 RX in for its 60,000 service today. It has developed an exhaust leak from the sound of the noise. I am assuming at this point that it is the infamous flex connector crack that plagued the early models. I have read previously that some have successfully had this covered under the emmisions warranty but had to fight to get Lexus to do so. I mentioned this to my service writer and he too started out with it is part of the exhaust system not the emmission system. Now come on, if exhaust passes through it would seem the entire exhaust system is emmission related.

Anyway, looking for pointers on how to get this repair covered under warranty as others have done. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 12-30-03, 07:58 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd, hopefully someone can give you the "magic words" to say! My '99 had the flex done just before the original warranty expired. However, in my state it would not pass inspection with an obvious leak and this one being in the front of the vehicle is particularly important to fix from a safety perspective (don't want the fresh air intake to pick up exhaust fumes when idling in traffic).
Old 12-30-03, 08:53 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust Leak and Warranty?

Originally posted by Todd
Took my wife's 99 RX in for its 60,000 service today. It has developed an exhaust leak from the sound of the noise. I am assuming at this point that it is the infamous flex connector crack that plagued the early models. I have read previously that some have successfully had this covered under the emmisions warranty but had to fight to get Lexus to do so. I mentioned this to my service writer and he too started out with it is part of the exhaust system not the emmission system. Now come on, if exhaust passes through it would seem the entire exhaust system is emmission related.

Anyway, looking for pointers on how to get this repair covered under warranty as others have done. Thanks for your assistance.
Tip: leaks in exhaust between engine and cats will cause cats to age prematurely and oxygen sensors to give false readings.

Ask your service advisor if the oxigen sensor is emission or the catalytic converters. Suggest that maybe you should wait until they get damaged and then take it back... Seams like avoiding the inevitable will not cure the sorce.

Cheers,
Fern