RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Something Strange

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04, 06:25 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something Strange

I just got a call from my wife describing the following.
She had trouble with the RX starting this AM, she thought the battery hed died overnight, but then it started fine. Also the radio screen was then dim, the heat control had reset, and the seat memory was reset. But the radio was fine and the station memory was there. Does anyone have what could have caused this. This is confusing>>?
Old 01-15-04, 07:31 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check the contacts on the battery terminals.

Also check the voltage at the battery with the car not running and again running.

Cheers,

//Fern
Old 01-15-04, 11:00 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Do you think this would cause the sporatic losses, and not memory on the radio?
Old 01-15-04, 12:04 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Yes to the above. Clock may also not hold setting. Our hifalutin' electrics do very strange things when they see voltage drops. Most likely: battery. Slightly less likely: corrosion on battery terminals. Less likely still: voltage regulator or alternator.

The battery in our RX300 lasted 5.5 years (OEM) before it died. Conversely, the battery in my GS only lasted 2.5 years (again, OEM). Corrosion is not nearly the problem it once was, back in the day. However, it's still very simple to clean the terminals (don't forget to do the connectors on the cables, too) and re-attach (you will lose ALL your memory settings this time).

The RX V6 starts VERY easily, which is good, but also tends to hide battery failure longer.
Old 01-15-04, 01:14 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mooretorque, how about using a relatively small capacity 12v battery to prevent loss of the electronic settings when changing the battery or cleaning terminals? I have long wondered why this isn't common practice to prevent loss of information in the electronics and introducing other gremlins when power is shut off completely, especially at luxury car dealers anyway.
Old 01-15-04, 07:39 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Interesting.

My 98 gs still has the OEM battery as does the 01 rx.

I will check things. thanks mooretorque
Old 01-15-04, 10:00 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque

The RX V6 starts VERY easily, which is good, but also tends to hide battery failure longer.
My RX300 takes almost one second to start, and it's been like that since new. Wonder if that's normal. My previous car, a GM-made POS, took only 1/4 second to start. Most cars take about 1/2 second.
Old 01-16-04, 03:27 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

parula, that should certainly work. current draw for the memories has got to be minimal. I'm going to suggest it to my service guys!!

Harrier, that brings up something interesting (well, to me, at least) which seems to be mfgr specific. For years, I've noticed that some brands tend to light off more quickly (though the days of endless cranking due to cold day, cold carb, etc, are long gone thanks to the ability to precisely combustion parameters) than others. When I first met my wife, she had an 300Z (not ZX) and you barely had to touch the key!! This was characteristic of every Nissan that I ever drove back then. My Prelude, OTOH, took around a half second consistently. Never timed it but it certainly seemed as if the engine turned over precisely the same number before firing. My various Lexi have been consistent also. And, as you pointed out, GM stuff fires almost instantly, from my neighbor's Z06 to lowly rental Cavaliers.

Considering the computer control used for fuel reg, spark advance, etc, I have to think that the start interval is an engineered parameter, much like turn signal "clicks". Cars haven't used solenoids for turn signals for many years now, but we are all so programmed for that audible feedback that mfgrs provide a sound chip so that we hear the clicking that we expect!!
Old 09-17-04, 02:28 AM
slowtan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the battery the fix?? This is happenning to my wifes RX300.

Last edited by slowtan; 09-17-04 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-17-05, 03:28 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Question

Actually this only occurs in the winter. Last winter this stopped and all summer etc it was ok. Now it is doing this again, but only to the clock. All other electric things remain the same? Starts on one turn as well. I checked the terminals and they are all ok. I wonder what the deal is>

E
Old 01-17-05, 09:46 PM
slowtan
Driver

Actually I replaced my battery and the problem went away on my wife's RX300. We went thru our first snow in a long time in Houston and I have had no repeat troubles. I believe in colder weather you need more juice to crank the car or the battery is weaker when it is colder. I am unsure but I know I normally end up replacing battery's in the winter month's.

Stephen
Old 01-18-05, 04:05 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

slowtan, that's exactly right. Battery performance degrades in cold weather and, of course, cold lubricants are more turgid, causing the starter motor to draw more from the battery when it's performance is worst. What kutscher was seeing was in the post before yours was a battery just beginning to fail; usually they crap out faster than that, tho.

But don't go and put the battery in the oven to heat it up first, either!!! Unless you're going to imitate the Mythbusters guys on Discovery...........
Old 01-18-05, 01:22 PM
jcg
Rookie

Default Battery

I have found over the years that when you are having what appears to be electrical problems and the warrenty is gone ( 3 or 4 years old ) just get the battery replaced. It will fix most problems. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much since you will need a new one pretty soon.

By-the-by there is a gadget that most garages now use that I believe plugs into the cigarette lighter and uses a 9volt battery. It prevents the loss of the cars brains when the battery is disconnected.
Old 01-18-05, 03:26 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Thanks. So do I need to get the Optima red top or should I just get something from Sears etc..?
We have nothing out of the ordinary on the RX that needs extra power.

e
Old 01-18-05, 03:36 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kutscher
Thanks. So do I need to get the Optima red top or should I just get something from Sears etc..?
We have nothing out of the ordinary on the RX that needs extra power.

e
The way I see it is, save your money on the Optima and just get a DieHard (Sears) or Costco battery. The Optima may last a big longer, but if you go with a Sears/Costco you could replace your battery more often guaranteeing a good battery.

Quick Reply: Something Strange