RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

homelink modification?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 07:35 AM
Petrie2001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question homelink modification?

hey guys,
we have a '00 rx-300 and i was wondering if there is any way to modify the homelink so that you would have to have a key in the ignition in order to use the system. that way when the car is parked outside at night, thieves can't break the window, and use the homelink to enter the garage. any ideas? i saw a mod on the acura tl forums and it looks pretty sweet. the only thing is i don't have the dimming mirror on the rx.
thanks,
peter.

http://acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=69672
Old 01-22-04, 08:38 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ederny would be the perfect person to comment on this mod as I understand he has powered his "fuzz-buster" with the power in the rear view mirror, and as such should be familiar with the wiring harness.

Ed, wanna provide any input???

I am all for this mod. The day I brought the RX back from the dealer is when I noticed the lack of attention Lexus paid on this item, which coincidently could pose a great security issue.
Kind of like leaving your garage door opener in clear site...

Cheers,

Fern

Last edited by Fern; 01-22-04 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 03:24 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Hi Fern and all.

Wow, this a great idea and a great safety point. In my case the garage (Great Hall) is detached and I park the RX in front during the summer months, unlocked of course. Would not want someone to get in and releive me of my collection of odd items I use for working on cars, let alone my tools.

Changing the power function of the HomeLink opener is doable. I checked the schematics and there is no simple solution. However, it would involve cutting and splicing the power wire in the overhead harness before it runs down to the visor. The wires are in the overhead and a switched power lead can be picked up in the harness. The down side is that the vanity mirror on the driver's side will also be on switched power and therefore will be come on if the key is not in and turned.

I'll add this to my list of things to do. I would pick up the switched power from the same place I took it for the radar detector.

In my town it is essential to have a radar detector. It saves me EVERY day! They are always out there.

Ed
Old 01-24-04, 03:27 PM
Petrie2001
Rookie

ed,
thanks for the info. please post a diy whenever you get a chance to do this mod.
thanks,
peter.
Old 01-25-04, 06:22 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like an important safety issue. Is the 330 set the same way? If so, imo this sounds like something Lexus ought to address with a remedy on new production along with a TSB for past 300 and 330 production for the safety of 300 & 330 owners. Ultimately I would think the option for power to HomeLink could be set in CBest settings - as those, like me, that park in a garage may like the capability of using HomeLink without a key in the ignition.

HomeLink is on page 64 of my manual; only in the index under "Garage Door Opener".

Last edited by parula; 01-26-04 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-25-04, 08:29 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the Homelink is sort of like a learning remote, will it retain the programmed remote frequency and codes if it looses power? I'm thinking it may reset everytime you cut constant power. If it retains its memory that would be great though and a simple should be easy to figure out.
Old 01-25-04, 01:55 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by CK6Speed
Since the Homelink is sort of like a learning remote, will it retain the programmed remote frequency and codes if it looses power? I'm thinking it may reset everytime you cut constant power. If it retains its memory that would be great though and a simple should be easy to figure out.
To answer your question,

Just because something is wired "switched" does not mean that it looses its memory, ie: the radio presets, and the climate control temperature setting, etc...

I also agree the c-best settings should deal with this, unfortunately I think it will take more than a software modification to correct this. This homelink issue requires a wiring mod. I have emailed the Homelink rep here in Canada enquiring as to "who's great idea was this anyway", Lexus or Homelink? I'm sure he is going to pass the buck to Lexus stating they only provide the unit and it is upto Lexus to incorporate it into their existing wiring...

Waiting for Ed to come up with a solution, which I know he is working on..

Cheers,

Fern
Old 01-25-04, 08:06 PM
joyous
Driver School Candidate

While it is well known that most burglars are idiots can you really see one breaking into your RX to use homelink to get into your house when the house window itself is so much easier?

If you're really concerned about this then clear the homelink memory and buy one of those minature keychain garage openers, $30 at home depot, and keep it with your RX keys.