RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx 300 AWD is awesome in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 05:14 PM
AWay
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 300 AWD is awesome in snow

I have my GS300 in for service and got a 02 Rx300 as my loaner. What a coincidence, we're getting wild sleet and snow here in the Philly area. I don't think I've ever driven a better car in the snow! I was driving to TRY and make it lose control and I almost couldn't. (Almost.)

Then I went out to my local parking lot and tried to spin some doughnuts (gotta love loaners) but was having a hard time. I can do them fine but the VSC keeps interferring and not allowing me to get a proper continual power slide going.

Is there ANY way to turn the VSC off in these cars? In my GS I can hit a button to turn it off, but in this RX I found no such button. (just a snow mode button)

Anyway, just complementing you guys on your awesome rides in the snow! Great car that i would love to own.

Enjoy.

PS: and if someone can tell me how to disable the VSC I can have some more fun before I return it tomorrow!
Old 01-27-04, 08:06 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Yea these things do handle great in the snow. One question, do you hear a loud creaking noise when you do start sliding. It almost sounds like its coming from the driveshaft, its an odd sound and then right after that the VSC system kicks in. This happens in my dad's 02 Rx AWD. Just wondering if anyone else hears it.
Old 01-27-04, 11:02 PM
joyous
Driver School Candidate

Removing the ABS fuse will disable ABS/VSC/BA/Trac, etc.

Last edited by joyous; 01-27-04 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-28-04, 11:15 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by joyous
Removing the ABS fuse will disable ABS/VSC/BA/Trac, etc.
Although the above is true.

Why someone would do that is beyond me. Darwin award anyone?
Old 01-29-04, 04:07 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2WD car is great in snow too - tried to invoke the VSC the other day and it worked great in a minor test. In snow I like the feel of the wheel too so I'd like to find a way to turn it off also without flipping her over! I have a feeling I am better off with it on.
Old 01-29-04, 07:49 PM
steevr
Pole Position

I was just about to post a new thread about how lousy my '02 AWD RX is in the snow when I happened to see this thread.

Here's the scoop. I have the stock Bridgestone tires. My RX is awsome at straight line acceleration in the snow. If I happen to be a just a tiny bit aggressive on a turn, the rear end breaks away and fish tails just like a rear wheel drive car. I end up having to counter steer to correct the skid. This happens on both right and left hand turns. If I break the tires loose on straightline acceleration, the traction control light will come on and I can feel the traction control trying to hook up. If I manage to really try to get the car sideways on purpose, I'll hear the VSC warning start to beep. However, when I get the rear fishtail on a 90 degree turn, I don't hear any VSC beeping and I don't believe I see any light on the dash come on. I'm not sure, because I'm usually too busy trying to correct the skid.

Anyone else ever experience this? If there is something wrong with my VSC, shouldn't a warning be continously illuminated, signaling a problem?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-30-04, 11:23 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Steve,
Replace the bridgestones. I had the same problems. Now with xterrains I have no problems anyway I go, with full gas. It is actually fun in the snow.
Old 01-30-04, 08:52 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bridgestones were lousy on our 1999 RX300 and we replaced them with Goodyears, and hell, yeah, they are a whole lot better in the snowr!!! We gave our 1999 RX back 2 years ago and got the RX330 last fall and we have Michelins, both of those brand do a lot better for dry and wet pavement driving then those flimsy Bridgstones. I have to say Bridgstone tires suck. We replaced them with Continentals on our SC430, and replaced our Bridgstones with Michelins on our long gone 2000 QX4. These tires are suberb on the highway and in terms of handling then those bridgestone. Our RX330 handles fantastic in the snow, and its outstanding as compared to our neighbors BMW X5 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just wanted to let you guys know that..

Cheers, and have a safe winter season!!

Tej

Last edited by Rexus300; 01-30-04 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 10:36 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Have to disagree on the tire comment. Bridgestone makes some great tires, like their maximum performance S-03's, and their winter tire, the Blizzak. They also make some bargain-priced tires, as do most other manufacturers. You have to look at each model within the brand, and oftentimes - as is the case with the RX300 and RX330 - the available selection is very limited. But it's not fair to judge the entire brand on just the one tire they might make available to fit your particular car. And even then, opinions will vary, depending on which characteristics are most important to each buyer (smooth ride, handling, wet /snow traction, tread life, aggressive looks, price, how quiet it is, etc). To make the RX (or any other car) truly "awesome in snow" you need winter tires, and I bet Bridgestone sells more of these than anyone.
Old 01-31-04, 06:27 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. We have the Cross Terrains on our Expedition and they are great.

However, those of you that are saying that your RX300's w/VSC are great in the snow, what tires do you have? If someone says their RX300 is great in the snow with the Bridgestones, then maybe something is not working right with my VSC.

I have to honestly say, other than the snow, I am very happy with the Bridgestones. They have been great on dry and on wet pavements. They are very quiet for highway driving and are very smooth riding. I can't complain about that. The sidewall design also looks good with the raised black letters, etc. Much more sporty looking than the sides of the Goodyears.

Thanks again.
Steve
Old 02-08-04, 02:11 PM
steevr
Pole Position

So, does anyone think their AWD RX300 with the stock Bridgestones is good in the snow? We've been getting about an inch or two of snow every couple of days here in the Midwest. It likes to slide sideways, even with the VSC.
Old 02-08-04, 05:39 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steevr,

I do not think they are good. I have been observing which suv's slide and many have bridestones. Many highlanders have them here and seem to slide all over the place.
just my two cents ..