RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

fuel system cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 01:21 AM
dragginboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel system cleaner?

do u guys kno if the gas treatment will help any or is it not good for my engine. i have a 2000 rx 300
The following users liked this post:
LEEBAB (07-17-20)
Old 02-20-04, 06:45 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

What are you thinking about putting in your RX?

That STP gas treatment is worthless and I have heard in some cases harmful.
Old 02-20-04, 08:46 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on personal experience, I would recommend against using the fuel treatment. My understanding is that all the major gas companies, like Chevron, Mobil, Shell, etc... all have detergents added to their gas making the need for gas treatments unnecessary especially on newer vehichles like your 2000 RX.

About 3 years ago, I had performed a regular maintenance tune-up on my 94 Ford Explorer. Not too long after the tune-up, I added the gas treatment. That was a mistake. My Explorer began backfiring and having very poor acceleration. The gas treatment essentially coated my new spark plugs and fouled them all up. I had to replace all the plugs that got fouled up, which is basically another tune-up.

The mechanic I talked to said he has seen that happen alot. If you really want to add in the fuel treatment, do so before a scheduled tune-up not after.
Old 02-20-04, 02:58 PM
Turboara
Driver School Candidate

the chevron fuel treatment/cleaner is very good. I'm not sure about the other ones, but I would not trust them, and have not heard anything good about them. Modern gasoline does have additives to help clean the fuel system too, but I still recomend the chevron a couple of times a year. Years ago I took the head off my talon which at the time had 120K miles, and valves, piston tops and head were surprisingly clean. I credit some of that to regularly using chevron. I now use it on all my cars.
Old 02-20-04, 03:10 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally posted by Turboara
the chevron fuel treatment/cleaner is very good. I'm not sure about the other ones, but I would not trust them, and have not heard anything good about them. Modern gasoline does have additives to help clean the fuel system too, but I still recomend the chevron a couple of times a year. Years ago I took the head off my talon which at the time had 120K miles, and valves, piston tops and head were surprisingly clean. I credit some of that to regularly using chevron. I now use it on all my cars.
I'm in the habit of putting a bottle of Chevron in the tank at the first fill up after an oil change, at 5000 mile intervals.
Old 02-20-04, 04:08 PM
Larry99
Driver School Candidate

Am I missing something here? Why not just run Chevron all the time.

BTW, have friend who works for Nalco, who makes Techron for Chevron. Says, of course , that Techron is the best there is.
Old 02-20-04, 04:31 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

I use valvoline synpower... seems like a high quality product. I only do it once every 3,000 miles at every oil change, but i think i might stop, it seems like an unnessesary expense. The car runs no differently I dont think.
Old 02-20-04, 05:46 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Larry99,

Would love to run Chevron full time, except in Mexico you only got Pemex, the worst gas on earth. In addition, many U.S. states do not have Chevrons, which came as a shock to me. On a recent trip to the U.S., I found Shell gas suprisingly fluid. Mobil did not feel the same way, but I still use Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

I use the Valvoline synthetic brake fluid and power steering fluid in my RX. This stuff rocks and I highly recommend it. I could not believe the better steering and braking.

A couple of things that I do recommend and have used successively with my 99 RX:

Techron
Restore, both the fuel injector cleaner and the oil additive
Schaeffer's Neutra
Auto-RX
Old 02-20-04, 06:53 PM
Larry99
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Lexmexico
Larry99,

Would love to run Chevron full time, except in Mexico you only got Pemex, the worst gas on earth. In addition, many U.S. states do not have Chevrons, which came as a shock to me. On a recent trip to the U.S., I found Shell gas suprisingly fluid. Mobil did not feel the same way, but I still use Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

I use the Valvoline synthetic brake fluid and power steering fluid in my RX. This stuff rocks and I highly recommend it. I could not believe the better steering and braking.

A couple of things that I do recommend and have used successively with my 99 RX:

Techron
Restore, both the fuel injector cleaner and the oil additive
Schaeffer's Neutra
Auto-RX
What 'is "fluid" gasoline?

Mobil 1 synthetic oil - this post is about gasoline additives

Valvoline brake fluid - see above

Valvoline power sterring fluid - see above
Old 02-20-04, 10:45 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally posted by Larry99
Am I missing something here? Why not just run Chevron all the time.

BTW, have friend who works for Nalco, who makes Techron for Chevron. Says, of course , that Techron is the best there is.
I would run Chevron all the time, if the nearest station was closer than a tankful away from here.

Last edited by jayskinner; 02-20-04 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 09:13 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chevron Techron
Red Line SI-1
Lubro Moly Jectron
all of those are good, and i used them in the past. From what i read BG 44K works wonders, but it's a pain to get. Toyota even sells a strong cleaner in small cans, check with the dealer.
Old 02-24-04, 07:52 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Larry99,

What 'is "fluid" gasoline?
Compared to the Pemex I use here in Mexico, U.S. gas is great blessing. However, given what I feel through the pedal, I found Shell as a fluid gasoline. Cannot say the same about Mobil or even Chevron, though Chevron does have its advantages. There is a saying here in Mexico regarding hard gas. We get this during the winter time (yes it can get cold) in order to reduce contamination. It is full of certain additives.

Mobil 1 synthetic oil - this post is about gasoline additives
Just adding my opinion.

Valvoline brake fluid - see above
see above

Valvoline power sterring fluid - see above
see above
Old 03-04-04, 01:34 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Chevron Techron is the only thing that actually works. I used it every 5K miles.
Old 03-04-04, 02:43 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

When I drive up to the U.S. border, I always enter through Laredo, Texas. The first gas station on the U.S. side is a Chevron. Plenty of Mexicans fill up there, and I often seem smoke coming out of their pipes after they leave, but not when they enter the station. It is my assumption, that the Techron hits the crud in the motor and the injectors pretty quickly, similar to a throttle body cleaning.

Auto-Rx is a fabulous product, and I would highly recommend it along with Techron.
Old 03-05-04, 05:06 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What stores sell Techron?

Quick Reply: fuel system cleaner?