RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Flickering brake lights during warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 02:35 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben,

Let me know what they say. The dome lights (and license plate lights, etc) flicker whenever my RX is running. It's done this from day one, along with every RX300 loaner I had from the dealership. They said it was normal and I believed them once I saw every other RX doing the same thing. It'll be time for a new battery soon anyways...it'll be interesting to see if it stops then.
Old 12-20-05, 02:47 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

egh.

what i DO notice flickering:

- tailights
- license plate light
- PRNDL displays (both in center console and cluster)
- center console
- idiot lights in cluster

what is NOT flickering:

- headlights (HID)
- dome light, map, vanity, etc.
- gauges in main cluster

weird.

i have very little experience with rx300's in general. the only other one that i really knew at all was an uncle who bought his 2001 brand new, and they replaced his alternator within the first year of ownership under warranty because it was flickering since day one.... but it did not solve the problem. he did try to fix it again but like we all know, the problem disappears whenever the car is at the dealership for diagnosis. the never found the problem because he ended up trading up to an LX (too many kids, not enough seats).
Old 12-21-05, 07:46 AM
lawpurv
Driver School Candidate

Benjamin, my CEL did come up and then it went away. I also had a problem with my air/fuel bank 1 sensor, which is what caused the CEL to come up. I am guessing that when they checked the codes, there was also a code in there for the idle speed control. Please let me know what the dealer says so I know if I should go back and give him hell for charging me a bundle if it was something else.
Old 12-21-05, 07:52 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i will be dropping off the rx this afternoon after work. i need to get this done asap as i will be going out of town with the family for christmas and new year so i don't want any surprises.

but this morning i paid more attention to everything after realizing what i thought we were experiencing is contradicting with what everyone else has... and i was wrong:

what IS flickering:
- tailights, parking and brake lights
- license plate lights
- center console PRNDL
- idiot lights in gauge cluster
- ALL interior lights, from dome light to glove box light

what IS NOT flickering:
- headlights
- gauges in gauge cluster
- HVAC and radio controls
- door accessory switches (but the lights are so tiny it's hard to tell)

also, it dosen't seem to be going away anymore. i *thought* it went away because by the time i get to work it's daylight and it's not so noticable. but with the miserable weather we had today i noticed it didn't change.

also, it flickers at all times... accelerating/decelerating, or idle. the only obvious time it does not flicker is when the engine is off.

Last edited by Benjamin T; 12-21-05 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-23-05, 12:09 AM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

exact same prob my girl is having
Old 01-19-06, 07:32 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

sorry for the late reply... having some family issues to deal with and i completely forgot this.

the dealer did a diagnostic, and tested both the alternator and battery... no faults found. the tech did meet with me in person to explain it and confirmed that he saw the lights flickering also, and that this was the first complaint he has heard about this. the service adviser went and wrote down that the 2001 HID retrofit was to blame, but it was doing it even before i made that change.

total repair time was 1 hour, but they didn't charge me for it.

so the flickering continues...
Old 01-19-06, 11:36 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

lame... well i will take one for the team and just replace my girls alternator and battery.... i also had those 2 things checked out but i still think that is the problem... cause when accessories is on no flickering (only batt is working at that time) when i start the car (alternator kicks in) that is when it happends... so we shall see
Old 03-03-06, 07:50 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

anyone have updates?

i met up with a professional stereo installer yesterday and showed him this problem. he's almost certain that it's the voltage regulator in the alternator that is causing this. but what he is not sure about is whether this is a design problem with the OEM alternator, and replacing it with the same thing may not resolve anything and i would be stuck with a spare alternator (electrical parts non-refundable).

i haven't read all the posts here but has anyone fixed this problem by replacing the alternator? tammy was the only other person to mention the voltage regulator as well.

Last edited by Benjamin T; 03-03-06 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-14-06, 04:20 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

any new news about this problem?