RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-04, 07:33 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Belt

I am having the 60K service done today at the local toyota dealer since the closest lexus dealer is over three hours away. Toytota wants to replace the timing belt at 60K but lexus recommends this at 90K. Toyota claims it should be done at 60k due to living in the midwest? I wish the lexus dealer was close, as trust is hard to gain at the toyota dealer.
Eric
Old 03-27-04, 10:31 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it at 90k. It doesnt matter if you live in the midwest (or any other part of the country). Its a non-interference engine so even if it breaks it wont blow the engine. Worst scenario you will be parked on the roadside.

I have read posts where they mention some other tasks to be taken care of while you are chanigng the timing belt. Please search and ensure they are done

How much was the service btw?
Old 03-28-04, 12:05 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it's a hassle to open up the engine, some people choose to replace the water pump while changing the timing belt as preventive maintenance. I don't see water pump replacement in my Lexus manual though.
Old 03-28-04, 04:59 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by gsenthil
Do it at 90k. Its a non-interference engine so even if it breaks it wont blow the engine. Worst scenario you will be parked on the roadside.

Not many people know that!
I don't think there is any other auto manufacturer that makes a vehicle engine that operates via timing belt but is non interference in the event the belt breaks...

My opinion is 90k w/ water pump replacement as I hardly think it will last 180k... And you don't want to get into opening it all up again just for the water pump..

Cheers,

Fern
Old 03-28-04, 08:08 AM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

If Lexus says 90K then there has to be other evidence to change it sooner .. other wise it is a scam to make money.

Is there an inspection window or opening to examine the belt? [Valve cover etc]. Look for stress marks, cracks along the length and the roundness of the cogs (innner side of belt). Normal wear starts rounding off the cogs and that generally is the reason to replace.

Remember there is nothing magical about 90K miles. It is a number driven off statistics, based on many factors. That said, I would change the belt at 90K.

Salim
Old 03-28-04, 11:55 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Thanks

gsenthil , They charged me $300 for the following. Tire balance and rotation, tranny flush and fill, coolent flush and fill, and to change my oil ( I provided the oil and filter), then to insect and grease and tighten as needed.
E
Old 03-28-04, 06:54 PM
seravios
Driver School Candidate

It is a relieve to know tat the engine will survive a timing belt blown up. Never knew that as wwell,first time i heard of it.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-20-06, 08:23 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Updating an old post.

I just had the 90k service done at toyota (no lexus dealer here). They did everything but the timing belt (water pump) and AC filter. They did not even mention the need for the timing belt. maybe I will wait until the next oil change to have these done.

Is it worth the risk to wait and see?? I know people with these engines and 150K miles + on them with never changing anything but the oil and no problems.
(preventitive service I know is the best..)

e
Old 10-20-06, 09:58 PM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kutscher
Updating an old post.

I just had the 90k service done at toyota (no lexus dealer here). They did everything but the timing belt (water pump) and AC filter. They did not even mention the need for the timing belt. maybe I will wait until the next oil change to have these done.

Is it worth the risk to wait and see?? I know people with these engines and 150K miles + on them with never changing anything but the oil and no problems.
(preventitive service I know is the best..)

e
the cool thing about this engine is that its a noninterfering engine. so that if the time belt bursts, then no damage will occur. not bent valve. no damaged piston. nothing nada zilch. the only problem is the inconvenience. the belt may break when u least expect
Old 10-21-06, 04:45 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your driving is mostly in the city near your Toyota dealer the risk is more acceptable than if you're out on the roads of your sparsely populated state. I would imagine you could get into a fantastic towing situation should the pump or belt give way whilst chasing a moose in the hinterlands.

It's easy for me to spend your money but when my time comes, I'll be in there at 89,999 getting it done.
Old 10-21-06, 08:50 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully , the coolant and brake fluid was exchanged ...
Old 10-23-06, 07:59 AM
AudioMan
Rookie

Just got my timing belt replaced last week at the Toyota dealership. They charged me $415 for the timing belt, and two accessory belts (plus some misc fees, parts and taxes for an extra $35 or so).

The lexus dealership wanted about $900 for the exact same job, what a ripoff. The loaner car was not worth an extra $450 for a day!!

We have 120,000 miles on the car right now and this is the first replacement of the belt. They inspected the water pump and stated it had no leaks so I left it alone and did not replace and will take the risk. If it was leaking or the bearings appear to be going bad, then I would have replaced it.

Finally, they left the old belts in a bag for me to inspect. The two accessory belts were cracking just a bit and making funny noises, so they were overdue for replacement at 120,000 miles. However, the timing belt looked great with no craking whatsoever. It could have easily gone for quite some time without replacing. Oh well, you don't know unit pulling it out to inspect, at which point you might as well put another one in there.

Hope this post helps someone in the future. Take note, do not go to Lexus for this service unless you want to spend twice the amount of the Toyota dealership. Also, Lexus wanted me to do an inspection II, which includes new belts and wanted $1,400 for it. WTF, $1,400 for new belts, spark plugs and fluid flushing? I did the spark plugs myself and although time consuming it was not that difficult.