RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 09:45 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Audi, Subaru, Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Aviator does.

Just admit the fact that Lexus uses cheap stuff. I keep telling poeple that Lexus forte is in manufacturing. Not parts. That's plenty good.

Last edited by MellonC00; 04-06-04 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-07-04, 06:09 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How is gods name can you say Toyota is not into parts. What do you think makes these rides so dependable. The specs and tolerances that Toyota puts on the suppliers is unbelieavable. Just a simple comparison is in the brake pad linings that Toyota specifies. Gm uses pads that have a wear limit of about 20k. Gm specs that, so the parts are cheaper for them to buy. Compare the switches, ***** etc, notice how cheap feeling Gm models feel. That is exactly what Toyota far above everyone else is the fact the parts they demand are a cut above everybody else. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-07-04, 09:50 PM
joako
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by toyo
How is gods name can you say Toyota is not into parts. What do you think makes these rides so dependable. The specs and tolerances that Toyota puts on the suppliers is unbelieavable. Just a simple comparison is in the brake pad linings that Toyota specifies. Gm uses pads that have a wear limit of about 20k. Gm specs that, so the parts are cheaper for them to buy. Compare the switches, ***** etc, notice how cheap feeling Gm models feel. That is exactly what Toyota far above everyone else is the fact the parts they demand are a cut above everybody else. Just my thoughts.
Im sure not many people here will argue that Toyta/Lexus are reliable cars, they are just complaining they dont use 100% leather (how about on the RX330?)

I'm on my 2nd RX and I have not had to do a single thing other than regular maintanance. Actually the MAF had to be replaced once on the old one and I think a fuse blew on my new one (from a cell phone charger!?)
Old 04-08-04, 09:47 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Jaoko's point, exactly. I am not bashing Lexus' quality or on its mechanical stuff. I just think, Lexus can do more on the "luxury content" in terms of parts usage. I don't use the word "world class" manufacturing for nothing.

BTW. My old Lexus had a bad MAF at 60K miles as well....
Old 04-08-04, 11:34 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

As consumers, we would like to get more for our money ... either better product for the same price or the same product for lesser price. The manufacturer on the other hand wants to maximize their profit, but the beauty of the competition is, that the prices have to be kept low to attract buyers.

From the day I purchased my RX back in '99 till today, I am convinced that the RX is the best product for the price I paid. Yes it can be made better but then the price moves up too and the Product/Price number will not be appealing to all of us.

.... but then, I am a Lexus fan.

Salim
Old 04-13-04, 08:15 PM
brent0226
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MellonC00
Are you sure? the parts content for A4, A6 and Passat are just about the same.
Off topic, but the A6 is not just a gussied up Passat. They share few parts and have different rear suspension (save for 4motion Passats). And the next generation Passat and A6 are going completely separate ways, with the Passat's engine being mounted transversely and getting a Haldex vs. Torsen all wheel drive system (and I believe MacPherson strut front susp vs. double wishbone). And, the Passat is considered upscale in Europe, epsecially with the W8 engine.

And on topic now - almost EVERY car with "leather" interior only has leather seating surfaces. It has nothing to do with who their supplier is or whatever. Most cars only come with a FULL leather interior if you check that option (which would require you upgrading to a nappa leather or soforth). Imitation leather (pleather or leatherette) has been made to simulate real leather very well, and it serves as a cost-cutting measure since it fools most people. I'm almost 100% sure your A6's doors and backs of the seats are fake leather.
Old 04-14-04, 03:42 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

going back to the original concern of Lexus leather quality - my leather was torn on the side of the driver's seat after 55K miles (2000 RX). The other RX 2001 I have is now beginning to show serious cracks around the perforation at 52K miles.

I know you people love Lexus (and so do I) but sometimes it helps to point out things that are not as good as other cars.
Old 04-14-04, 03:45 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give me the classy RX interior over those chrome/Al synthetic looking dash instrument features any day, or maybe Lexus just needs two models: really classy and avant garde then they could probably please everyone. I like mine.

To be clear I lOVE the 330 with the Al dash and the maple burlwood - nice, very classy - a timeless look that makes the car beautiful; wish I had one.
Better leather would be nice IMO.