RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

My first real visit to Lexus since buying car

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 08:58 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My first real visit to Lexus since buying car

Wanted to have the trani drained and filled and the oil changed (I supplied oem filter and my synthetic oil).

Asked service advisor to allow me to see the condition of the drain plug on the trani as I was not the original owner and I wanted to see the wear on trani, she agreed. Actually that was my excuse to talk to and watch mechanic put my synthetic oil in my car rather than his... For the record, trani plug looked excellent no metal filings, just minor sludge on drain plug, which he said is "clutch dust"?

While tech was doing oil change and trani drain, he said he has seen an rx with close to 400,000 km come in for oil change... He said the guy just used regular dino oil but changed it every 5000km and filter.

He said he had an es300 himself, I acted surprised and said, " a mechanic with a lexus not a Toyota, thats surprising." Even he agreed they are based on similar vehicles but have many differences.

He said change oil every 5000-6000 km regardless of oil type and drain and fill trani every 32000 km (20,000 miles) and your car will last hundreds of thousands of miles...

He disagreed on a lot of the maintenance intervals that Lexus had some too high, ie: trani lifetime fluid, and some too low, (although he wouldn't comment on which ones were too low).

Long story short...
I hate to burst dealer fans bubbles but you can bet my next oil change and trani drain and fill are going to be done in my garage.

To top it off I spent over $200 CAD and didn't even get a car wash... Sure sounds like I took the car to a Toyota dealer not a luxury car dealer... I'm sure I would have been treated like I had a luxury car if I was buying one for luxury money...

Cheers,

Fern
Old 04-03-04, 03:08 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Default Re: My first real visit to Lexus since buying car

Originally posted by Fern

He said change oil every 5000-6000 km regardless of oil type and drain and fill trani every 32000 km (20,000 miles) and your car will last hundreds of thousands of miles...

He disagreed on a lot of the maintenance intervals that Lexus had some too high, ie: trani lifetime fluid, and some too low, (although he wouldn't comment on which ones were too low).
Interesting story. Did he say oil change every 5,000 kilometers or miles? (I know you're in Canada.) The manual says either 5,000 miles or 7,500 miles.

I always thought the 120,000-mile tune up was a bit long, yet the 2-year coolant flush and brake fluid change were way too soon. I had the coolant and brake fluid done anyway since it's still under warranty. Other stuff, like 90,000-mile timing belt and 60,000-mile differential & transfer oil seem fair to me.
Old 04-04-04, 01:14 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Default oil change

The mechanic did not specify miles or km but I am confident that he meant km.

He also said he does not use synthetic on his car, just dino every 5000 (km).
Something about synthetic being overkill..

I wouldn't normally use synthetic on the Lexus if I did not here the rumour of the Toyota v6 "gelling" problem. Synthetic doesn't develope sludge like dino...

BTW the owner's manual on the Lexus states: " the use of synthetic oil does not extend oil change intervals".

//Cheers,
Fern
Old 04-04-04, 10:35 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Dino or synthetic, the amount of pollutant that gets into the motor oil is the same. Therefore it's prudent to change the oil at manufacturer's recommended interval.

Most people don't drive hard enough to need synthetic. Synthetic may be useful in extreme cold climate to help with cold cranking, otherwise it's really a waste of money. I started my RX300 at minus 11 F in January with dino oil 5W30, not a problem and no strange sound.

I am not sure how wide spread the oil gelling problem is. I just read the latest CR owner survey on RX300's reliability. The engine section received the highest mark, or less than 2% of the owners reported engine problem.
Old 04-05-04, 11:52 AM
aprairie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if CR asked my I'd tell them I had slugdge at 35K miles and needed a new engine block. And the rear hatch shock has broken twice, and the O2 sensor has broken twice, and the power window assembly malfunctioned....Did I mention I bought the car CPO with only 33K miles on it.

I think I somehow bought the worst car Lexus ever made. My dealer has done zip to remedy the situation, neither has Lexus USA. They keep fixing the problems (about 1 every 2 to 3 months, sometimes more) but this is getting old.

No amount of free coffee, or car washers, or loaner cars make up for the hassle of visiting the dealer so often, especially on a supposedly "Certified" vehicle.

Drew
Old 04-05-04, 04:51 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fern, fwiw, I'll play the stats and going long-term on this car probably, I'll stick with synthetic for the few extra bucks and hopefully eliminate that issue entirely. Plus, I'd swear it's a little quieter after that first change; maybe just me.

Last edited by parula; 04-05-04 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 05:23 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally posted by parula
Fern, fwiw, I'll play the stats and going long-term on this car probably, I'll stick with synthetic for the few extra bucks and hopefully eliminate that issue entirely. Plus, I'd swear it's a little quieter after that first change; maybe just me.

Your probably right. For some reason cars tend to sound slightly quieter with fresh oil in them. This was especially noticeable on my 87 celebrity which I used dino oil in... dino oil breaks down over time and exposure to heat, plus all the contaminants dont help the friction factor. My SC400 gets ever so slightly quieter I would say... but its barely noticeable because I use synthetic and it burns no oil whatsoever *knock on wood*

I just thought about it... I know so many people with newer cars (98+) that have buttloads of problems and the only thing Ive had to replace on my lexus so far have been the front brake pads. Truly excellent cars we have.
Old 04-06-04, 06:45 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default SYNTHETIC OIL ALL THE WAY

The best thing u can do for your vehicle is use synthetic. If price is your reason for not using it how could u afford a LEXUS? Can u afford not to use a synthetic? It will save u $$ over time. I have used AMSOIL since 1982 & never an engine problem.
It is not overkill at all, it is preventive maintance, better starting & better summer protection & better MPG.
Old 04-06-04, 03:47 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC400, I try to only put the best food i can get, usually organic, in my body, and I also try to keep only the best materials in my baby too!
From everything I have read on CL and elsewhere it sure sounds that using synthetic oil is an easy and relatively cheap way to help ensure engine preservation.
I wish I had used synthetic on the Honda too, though she burns little oil now so there might be something to the theory of just using dino every 3k.

Last edited by parula; 04-06-04 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 08:12 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by aprairie
Well, if CR asked my I'd tell them I had slugdge at 35K miles and needed a new engine block. And the rear hatch shock has broken twice, and the O2 sensor has broken twice, and the power window assembly malfunctioned....Did I mention I bought the car CPO with only 33K miles on it.

I think I somehow bought the worst car Lexus ever made. My dealer has done zip to remedy the situation, neither has Lexus USA. They keep fixing the problems (about 1 every 2 to 3 months, sometimes more) but this is getting old.

No amount of free coffee, or car washers, or loaner cars make up for the hassle of visiting the dealer so often, especially on a supposedly "Certified" vehicle.

Drew
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Obviously each owner's experience is different. The CR survey polls 675,000 vehicles to compile the statistics. CR only sends the survey form to its subscribers. I've been polled twice the last 7 years, including this year.

I bought my 2002 RX300 brand new with just 1 mile on it. The only problem I've had was wheel alignment. It was off right out of the factory. Had it fixed at Lexus and no problem since.