RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Murano vs. RX300 (merged 3 threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 05:41 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CK1_RX3
I really like the new Infinity, RX330, and Porsche cross-overs. All are great depending on what you are looking for. I think the Infinity is a nice middle ground between the Lex and the Porsche. It's a cross cross-over!!!
So it's a tranny! (short for transvestite)
Old 04-08-03, 06:24 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

okay, okay guys - I'll get the Nissan idea out of my head!! What was I thinking? Customer service alone should have made me snap back to reality! Plus I have purchased both of my Acuras from the dealership that is associated with the Lexus dealership and I acutally have respect for the salesman - he's great! Now I just have to sit here and wait for the hybrid to come out (thats what I really wanted in the first place) plus I will have more time to come up with a good chunk of change to put down on the vehicle!
Old 04-09-03, 11:52 AM
scalbert
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Both have nice insides and fake wood.
Nobody listen to Mike, he gets delusional sometimes... There is no fake wood in my CL-S6SC... BTW, the CL has better seats. I figured I would join this forum as we picked up an RX300 last weekend for my wife and her BMW is going (the double stroller will not fit in a 3-Series trunk).

But on to the subject comparison, there isn't one IMO. As mentioned, they are two different class of vehicles. Although the Murano is less expensive it also shows this.
Old 04-09-03, 04:45 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Go with the cheaper

Go with the cheaper one. I am lexus owner, and thus far I am not happy with the quality and that promises lexus have. The cheaper you spend the less you will lose on inflation. 10k difference, you can down for another Element. Good luck. If you spend for the luxury and don't feel the luxury, don't get it.
Old 04-11-03, 01:10 PM
AudioMan
Rookie

Whoever said the Murano is not similar to the Infinity FX35 is wrong. The FX35 is based on the altima . . in a round about way. The G35 is based on the altima, so if the FX35 is based on the G35, then it is also based on the Altima. Remember geometry (If A=B, and B=C, then A=C). That being said, the FX35 is the direct infinity comparison to the Murano. It is worth checking out.

Nissan is notorious for bad customer service, Infinity is much better.

Also, what is wrong with your two year old CL? Is your lease about up? Do you just get sick of cars really quick, not a very good trait to have if you are trying to save money for student loans (I am in the same boat). If you really wanted to save money, then get a used car so you don't pay for the first 2 years of depreciation. You could probably get a good deal on an 03 RX300 if you want a new one that badly.

If you have financed your CL, then just keep it, otherwise you are just going to lose money when you get out the deal into a more expensive car, which is not your intention according to the post.
Old 04-11-03, 05:56 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

Actually the CL is paid for...the reason for getting rid of it is the baby we had a couple of weeks ago! We have had the CL since it was introduced in March or April? of '00 - so it is actually 3 years old now and has almost 50K on it. Its been a great car - the only dissapointment is the plood on the dash - how cheesy for intro level lux...even the Murano has REAL aluminum trim! I think the 330 has plastic painted trim but what a sweet automobile...we'll see...
Old 04-11-03, 07:01 PM
scalbert
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 330wannabe
Actually the CL is paid for...the reason for getting rid of it is the baby we had a couple of weeks ago! We have had the CL since it was introduced in March or April? of '00 - so it is actually 3 years old now and has almost 50K on it. Its been a great car
Were you on the CL forum??

If so, I have been on there since its inception and have migrated from the 5-speed auto to the 6-speed manual. My wife and I are now expecting (twin girls) and required a new vehicle. We tried to see if we could keep her BMW but the double stroller would not fit in the E46 328i trunk.

So she decided on the RX300 since it was a smaller SUV, offered all the amenities she cared about and the significant discounts they were offering. Although the vehicle is certainly not a thrill to drive, it does suit its purpose well. Otherwise we would have gone with either the MDX or X5. In the end I am pleased with the decision.

But as for the Murano or FX35(45), besides the front fascia of the Murano which I could never like. Neither ever appealed to my wife. But then again I believe both were sculptured to appeal to men more so. But the biggest downside to me was the interior of both the Murano and FX series. IMO, they are not attractive and the silver flat surfaces often shown remind me of early ‘80’s home stereo equipment.

But that is why there are choices…
Old 04-11-03, 07:29 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

Congrats on the twins! I was never on the CL forum, but was on honda-acura.net for awhile....I usually don't frequent the forums, I really should keep visiting - they are interesting to say the least, plus I'm such a car wh0re!...I am on here now just to do research on the autos since I'm in the market (I really want to wait and see the hybrid 330 before I purchase so maybe I'm not REALLY in the market since it won't be out for awhile). I like the FX - it's the ride that kills it for me (drove a 35 AWD with Tech) If Acura would upgrade the the MDX's interior (at least to the level of the new TSX), and give it xenons I think it would be the one for me. Am I the only one that thinks the Muranos interior is better than the MDX's? Anyway the TL is working fine for now...we are both still off work and haven't run into any baby transportation problems....yet!

Last edited by 330wannabe; 04-11-03 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-11-03, 07:40 PM
scalbert
Driver School Candidate

Acura would upgrade the the MDX's interior (at least to the level of the new TSX), and give it xenons I think it would be the one for me.

Am I the only one that thinks the Muranos interior is better than the MDX's?
As I previously stated, that is why there are choices. I find the MDX interior far superior to the FX but I know others with a different opinion. It is all a matter of personal choice. In fact, the X5 was our personal preference but it was hard to overcome the lack of amenities.

The MDX should have come with Xenon lamps and the SportShift slush box control. Had that been the case I probably would have influenced my wife to get the MDX. But seeing that the RX300 offered Xenon's as an option (it is hard to go back to halogens) and better suited her vehicle size preference; I enthusiastically agreed.

Plus, now with the supercharger on my CL-S6 I can always jump in it for a somewhat refined thrill. Now I just need to fit a blower on the RX300 and she will be set...

Last edited by scalbert; 04-11-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-16-03, 10:08 PM
Abq-Steve
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Beware the Murano (Moron-0)

I just traded in my Murano with under 2K miles. It got 15 mpg city/20 highway (sticker was 20/24).
It had multiple rattles, squeaks, thunking sound in the rear suspension, noisy, rocking-chair seats, and cheap finish.

Nissan corporate is in denial that the model has problems. In fact, now that the RX 330 is out, they are offering "trunk money" to dealers and incentives. They are stuck with a lousy vehicle that looks nice.

Took it off-roading once. As an afterthought, apparently, Nissan placed an air scoop for the oil cooler hanging off the front end right under the bumper. One small chuckhole on an otherwise dirt washboard road at 15 mph and it mangled the thing.

Open the Moron-0 sunroof and a rear window and go on the highway. The sound is deafening!

In all, I am pleased that Lexus has 1) a great product, 2) service that is unbeatable, 3) a better warranty, and many other things.

The only thing I really liked about the Nissan product was the console (a place for a cell phone, change, and a deep box that you can place your laptop in and keep it charged). Other than that, it was one heckuva noisy rattletrap and the fit/finish was undesirable.

----------------------------------------------
04 RX 330, Onyx Blk/Blk w/premium plus pkg, tow, etc.
(former IS300 owner)
Old 04-16-03, 10:59 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Abq, you've removed the last of my doubts. I too was comparing the Murano with the RX330.

Here are a few observations made in the last few days when comparing the Murao with a basic RX330 here in Canada

Murano SE positives:

Xenon lights (no availablet on the basic 330)
nice console with the cell holder, coin holder and laptop holder
18-in tires and wheels (will be more expensive to replace the tires)
peppy engine once you are moving
very leading edge styling -- looks like it just came off a concept-car showroom floor
CVT is kind of neat
Interior is a bit wider than the 330
Handles better (lower centre of gravity it seems; whereas in the 330, I feel I'm signifcantly higher up and thus I'm not as confident on the curves)
6-disk CD changer is standard
dual exhausts (though could be costlier to replace)

RX330 positives

Legendary Lexus reliability (hopefully this unproven 2004 will continue the heritage)
Better initial acceleration than the Murano (from a standing start, it feels much faster)
sliding rear seats
snob appeal
better resale value
better treatment at the dealership (incredible treatment in fact)
softer and quieter ride

However not having had an extended test drive like ABQ, I really appreciated his input and will likely go for the RX
Old 04-19-03, 04:18 PM
mod
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by AudioMan
Whoever said the Murano is not similar to the Infinity FX35 is wrong. The FX35 is based on the altima . . in a round about way. The G35 is based on the altima, so if the FX35 is based on the G35, then it is also based on the Altima. Remember geometry (If A=B, and B=C, then A=C). That being said, the FX35 is the direct infinity comparison to the Murano. It is worth checking out.
The FX35/45 is NOT based on the Altima. It is built on the all-new rear-drive FM platform shared with the Nissan 350Z sports car and the Infiniti G35.

The Murano is therefore NOT the same platform as the FX.

I just bought an FX45 last week, just as the GX470 I had ordered finally showed up at the dealer. Once I decided I could do without the third row of seats, I went with the FX45. I love it, with the 315hp V-8 and 20 inch wheels it handles like a sports car.
Old 04-20-03, 08:22 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

Please don't flame me...but I am ordering a Murano tomorrow...I had a circumstance that I needed to use the CL with the car seat last Friday...not good...I went on Saturday and test drove both of them..and I don't see the nearly 10K difference (options as equal as you can get them) besides having the Lexus name and customer service...I think I can live with it for 10K...I have heard the complaints about the Murano, but I have also heard about the complaints on the 330....I guess no car is free from first year bugs...just wanted to let you guys know that it looks like I will be staying the 330wannabe as my name describes!! I was dead set on the 330...that is until I drove the Nissan, if you have never driven it you should try it some time, anyway some body on here wrote that they can't see spending 30K on a Nissan...my only thought on that is what about spending 80K on a VW Phaeton? YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! I would love to be a bit pretentious and show my neighbors and friends "look I'm so cool I can afford a Lexus", I can, but, right now I feel that this is the right decision for my family, be a little more realistic...like I said we are only 29...with a new baby and student loans to repay and the mortgage, plus we like to max out our 401K's and IRA's....anyway maybe I'll get a lex the next time around (it's what I really wanted and I believe that Toyota is, hands down the best automobile manufacturer in the world, hopefully I'll be in a better position next time) You guys have been great, I have really enjoyed reading your thoughts and suggestions...and I'll still be lurking around here to see whats going on...I still feel it is the better vehicle, just not for us at this time!

Last edited by 330wannabe; 04-20-03 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 06:02 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

No need to defend your choice 330wannabe. The fact is any first year car can have issues, and the 330 and the Murano will have their share. At least with Japanese cars, you have less worry about first year glitches. In my past experiences, the Nissans my family owned were at least as reliable if not more than our Lexus'. As for Lexus dealer service, I'm still tyring to figure out what everyone is talking about. Seems about the same as Toyota if you ask me.
Good luck,
Doug

Oh and to the guy who wrote that he couldn't see spending 30K on a Nissan, remember back in 1989 a lot of people were saying that about that new Toyota product coming out. I think it was called a LS400.
Old 04-21-03, 06:34 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Please don't flame me...but I am ordering a Murano tomorrow...I had a circumstance that I needed to use the CL with the car seat last Friday...not good...I went on Saturday and test drove both of them..and I don't see the nearly 10K difference (options as equal as you can get them) besides having the Lexus name and customer service
Congrats on making a decision. Stop in anytime you want, your still very welcome here. In fact, I'd love to hear how you like the Murano after you've had it for a little while...Maybe Lexus can win you over next time.

John

Quick Reply: Murano vs. RX300 (merged 3 threads)