RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Murano vs. RX300 (merged 3 threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-04, 06:08 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Murano vs. RX300

I know, I should've never begun to write this note, but I figured SOMEONE could give some objective advice or comments. With that being said, whatcha think?

I'm looking for an SUV and narrowed the seach down to a 2001 RX300 (FWD-base model) and a 2003 Nissan Murano (SL-all option packages). Both cars will have about 10k miles of factory warranty left after I buy them. Both cost about $28k.

Can some of you objective owners and auto enthusianst give me some adivce? I'm concerned about long-term quality, reliability. I just read a consumers report that give both cars a BEST USED CAR to buy rating.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-09-04, 07:28 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a Murano last summer, just to see how it compared to the RX. It's considerably cheaper than the RX, and it's got many of the "nice-to-have" features that are standard on Lexus products but not always available on other brands at a lower price.

The only big turn-off for me was the interior of the Murano. It felt like the interior came from a car that was at a $20K price point, not at the Murano's low-to-mid $30's price point. Way too much plastic, including a big "barrier wall" between the driver and the passenger. I also didn't care for the styling of the main instrument panel.

On the plus side, I think it's a good looking vehicle from the outside, and there are a lot of features for the money. I haven't heard any reliability complaints from friends who own Nissan products.

The one mechanical thing I'd do more research about on the Murano is the continuously-variable transmission. The trans works by conecting two cones with a steel belt; it "shifts gears" by changing the position of the belt on the cones. That's new to me, and I'd be curious how long the belt actually lasts before it needs to be replaced. I want to say it's designed for 100K miles, but I'd like to see some real-world experience to verify that.

Since you'll spend most of your time with the car on the inside of the car, and especially because the price is comparable, I'd recommend the RX. Since you say they both have 10K miles of warranty left, I'm assuming that the '01 RX has 40K miles, and the '03 Murano has 26K. The 40K miles on the RX wouldn't scare me at all; many people here will tell you that there's no problem racking up several more 10's of thousands of miles on the RX.
Old 04-09-04, 04:38 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Murano vs. Rx

I too test drove a murano before buying my '99 Rx.
Since I am a former Nissan fan, thought I would give Nissan a shot again...

Murano drives very smooth, great power, known reliability (as far as engine is concerned), the key point that made me consider the Rx (other than price difference) was the CVT trani in the new Muranos...

These tranis are new to Nissan and aren't even built by Nissan, they are made by another cvt trani manufacturer and dispite being very reliable, I have heard stories where if the trani is defective they don't even try to fix it. They just drop it and install a new one...

The Rx is the first automatic car I have purchased and I did not want to get into rebuilding transmissions a couple years after purchase, especially for a trani as different as the CVT...

Now I am not saying that the Jatco made trani is not reliable, just that its new to the Nissan product line.

Now playing devil's advocate, I can say after owning an Rx that it also has it's share of quirks...
I don't think any car is perfect..
Old 04-13-04, 04:32 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

tough call.

ultimate reliability - RX
handling - murano
ride - RX
comfort - tie
Los Angeles cachet - tie
looks outside - tie
looks and function inside - RX (except the radio controls on RX)
cargo room - RX
passenger comfort - tie
haul *** ability - murano (bigger engine)

I think it's a comfort vs. speed issue. Good luck.
Old 04-13-04, 05:31 PM
LexFather

There have been at least 2 or 3 good threads on this subject, conclusion, if u have the $$$$$, the RX is the way to go. SEARCH.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=murano
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=murano