RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Murano vs. RX300 (merged 3 threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-03 | 08:12 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

Default RX 330 or Nissan Murano

I test drove a murano today...I have to admit it is really nice...I am wavering on which to choose..so I need some help from you guys on why I should pop for the extra 10 grand on the lexus vs. the murano.. I know I know - there are more features on the 330 (headlamp washers, rain sensing windshield wipers, dynamic cruise control, lexus quality, snob appeal, ect.) but I think I can do without these for the money difference. What do you guys think?
Old 04-05-03 | 08:40 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew
CL Folding 25,000

If you're one of those people that don't really care what car they drive then go for the murano since you're quite happy with it. Since those extra features and luxury don't appeal to you as much then save yourself some money. But there is a considerable amount of difference between the two cars. Almost every aspect of the car is different. From the steering wheel, interior/exterior features, ride comfort, great handling etc...
Old 04-06-03 | 11:24 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

How about the new Infinit FX35? Basically the same thing as the Murano withi Infiniti touches. I love the way the FX looks. Yep, it is ugly, but in a sort of get out of my way kind of look. Those dual exhausts rock too. It will probably be more fun than the RX - you just have to deal with the cut rate interior.

Doug
Old 04-06-03 | 12:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Default Nope

FX is NOT a Murano. Murano is from the Altima platform. FX is from the G35 platform. Very different dynamics. I'd go with a RX330, just don't get any of the hi-tech options. Stick with like a premium/premium plus package or something like that. You'll be happier in the long run with the higher quality of the RX.
Old 04-06-03 | 12:19 PM
jayskinner
Driver

From what I've seen, the Murano competes with the Highlander. Comparing a 330 to a Murano, while they both look cool outside, is like comparing an Acura CL to a Toyota Solara. Simillar function, not the same luxury.

I plan to test a Murano, but do expect to get a 330.

--Jay
Old 04-06-03 | 01:55 PM
Crutcher
Driver School Candidate

I too was considering a murano but opted not to get one for 3 reasons.
1. It is first model year and therefore could have some problems
-- Already noted on several websites is the wierd "clanking" noise that comes from the backseat. It
sounds like a part is loose all the time
2. With back windows down a lot of noise
3. Sales manager used every low trick in the book (e.g. how much do you want to spend? what do you want your payments to be? etc)... And, insisted on paying OVER MSRP! FOR A NISSAN!

If you are looking at the murano and the rx330, and are concerned about price,, check out the highlander. If you can wait until september, I heard the highlander is being updated.
Dave
Old 04-06-03 | 04:14 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

i was lookin at both of these as well but i have to say lexus has completely won my heart the car itself just came out great. and as for performance the headlights that turn with the steering wheel and the rear camera that shows up on the nav. system is an awsome feature to have plus the rain sensing windsheild wipers. im tryin to convince my dad to buy this suv for his next car b/c that way i can rock it when im not in my GS! go with the lex or at least look over the option differences b4 you turn to nissan. thats just my 2 cents! g'luck wtih ur decision.

~ Stella
Old 04-06-03 | 05:20 PM
dserban
Driver

I drove the Nissan and bought the Lexus. The Murano is very nice and drives very well but if you want a luxury SUV it isn't it.

As I posted in another thread I had or drove all the top of the line SUVs (with the exception of the Cayenne) and none of them equals the 330. Not even the GX 470.

My opinion anyway.
Old 04-07-03 | 02:12 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

Thanks everyone for your opinions'. I think the reason I am really questioning the diference is because the murano is nicer than my CL..softer, more quiet ride..plus has more luxry features..auto up down on the front windows (at least) automatic headlights, CVT, dual zone climate control, better leather IMO, and REAL aluminum interior pieces. Plus I'm only 29 and my wife and I still have a TON of student loans left, plus the little bundle of joy we had last week!! I wish I still had my heart into getting the 330...I love all the extra toys you can get...maybe we'll pop for one next time! Thanks guys, Steve
Old 04-07-03 | 05:27 PM
LexFather

From what I've seen, the Murano competes with the Highlander. Comparing a 330 to a Murano, while they both look cool outside, is like comparing an Acura CL to a Toyota Solara. Simillar function, not the same luxury.
Both have nice insides and fake wood. The only thing the CL has is it is faster.

You get what you PAY FOR. If you can ante up for the RX get it. The Murano is very different looking but recent Nissan quality is even worse than what it was. The ride in the Murano is also more jarring than the RX. I think Nissan deserves credit for the Murano, your cross-shopping a Lexus with a Nissan. No one did that with the Pathfinder and barely with the QX-4.

You'll notice that people that buy a Lexus tend to buy another or have 2. There is a good reason for this.

Congrats on your child!
Old 04-07-03 | 09:37 PM
dchesanek
Rookie

Default Nissan Murano

Another thing to keep in mind is the CVT transmission on the Murano. Although some people will say that CVT's have been used in Japan for several years none have been used in a high torque engine like the Murano. That becomes a big question in the reliability area.

If the Murano is in your price range but the RX is not take a look at the Toyota 4Runner/SR5. For 03 the 4Runner has a new design, full time 4WD, V6 orV8, its quite , has cool technology like upp hill and,down hill assist. The ride is "slightly" firmer than a Murano but the 4Runner is a much more capable off road vehicle than a Murano
Old 04-08-03 | 07:51 AM
330wannabe
Rookie

I'm not too worried about the high torque...Audi has had a CVT over here for a few years on the A6, and I haven't heard of any problems with it. The 330 isn't out of my price range (if you see the post above I just wanted to pay back our student loans, wife has an MD and I have a Masters degree to pay for), I just thought I could save a few bucks and have almost as good of a vehicle....I want to get one now...the reason I haven't taken the plunge yet is because I want to see what the hybrid 330 will be like...specifically what options will be available....but if I HAD to choose today I think I would get the Nissan
Old 04-08-03 | 11:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Default But

Audi has yet to put CVT on an AWD model I believe. And it's on the small motor A6, not as much power as the Murano engine I believe.
Old 04-08-03 | 02:54 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

330wannabe, if you're really concerned about saving $$$, why don't you consider an '03 RX300? Lexus has plenty of 'em. I looked at the Murano and RX300 as a second car to my SC430 and ended up buying the RX. The Murano is kinda cool looking, but the interior doesn't compare to even the old RX and reliability could be an issue. The RX300 is comfortable, bulletproof (reliability), and the deals right now are great.

DSeag2
Old 04-08-03 | 03:15 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

I really like the new Infinity, RX330, and Porsche cross-overs. All are great depending on what you are looking for. I think the Infinity is a nice middle ground between the Lex and the Porsche. It's a cross cross-over!!!

Last edited by CK1_RX3; 04-08-03 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Murano vs. RX300 (merged 3 threads)