RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Do you consider the Lexus RX300 to be a woman's SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 03:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because there's an open center console, doesn't mean it's marketed for women. Men can put a six-pack cooler there. Perfect for heading out to the ball game. Also the RX300's center stack looks just like a urinal. Isn't that manly or what? No other vehicle has it.

For those who don't know about the RX's origin: It is the Toyota Harrier in Japan. The original RX's styling mimics the appearance of the harrier bird. Harriers are used by hunters to kill or capture other birds. I think that's very macho.

If a man isn't secure about his masculinity, he's going to feel like a sissy no matter what he drives.
Old 04-21-04, 03:25 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pictures that can change your brother's mind about the RX3. Some of my favorites found in the CL gallery.

Old 04-21-04, 04:34 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I like it.
-male
Old 04-21-04, 04:56 PM
LexFather

I think the man thinking he is driving a "Man" SUV is more femanine than the lady in the SUV. The RX is for the sophisticated man or woman, that pays attention to details like real wood and panel gaps and quite frankly wants one of the best SUVs built. The other 2 being the LX and GX.
Old 04-22-04, 01:43 AM
autodriver
Rookie

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Just because there's an open center console, doesn't mean it's marketed for women. Men can put a six-pack cooler there. Perfect for heading out to the ball game. Also the RX300's center stack looks just like a urinal. Isn't that manly or what? No other vehicle has it.

For those who don't know about the RX's origin: It is the Toyota Harrier in Japan. The original RX's styling mimics the appearance of the harrier bird. Harriers are used by hunters to kill or capture other birds. I think that's very macho.

If a man isn't secure about his masculinity, he's going to feel like a sissy no matter what he drives.
=============================================================

I really like the way HarrierAWD said: If a man isn't secure about his masculinity, he's going to feel like a sissy no matter what he drives.
Old 04-22-04, 07:13 AM
Milla...

Well It all comes down to what people want and prefer thats all, everyone has different needs, whats important to you or I may not be to someone else. Some people would not settle for anything less than Lexus quality even if it means giving up a bit of cargo space (RX) or want a little more space and don't care about third row comfort if the they care about it at all (GX) or want cargo space and an ok third row thats big but not a gigantuone (LX).

Then theirs those who don't have to or need to have such high quality to handle their transportational (?) needs (all American SUV's) those people who care a tad bit more about function and ability than the panel gaps and plastic wood and vinal seats dubbed leather. I know plenty people who could afford to have a fleet of high end Imported quality Luxury SUV's who may know more about quality than probably most people on this web site but decided to get an Escalade, Denali or Navigator because of their preference and needs hence haul and tow and still look good. Talking down on anyone who wishes to get anything less then Lexus quality is really ignorant, no I'm not accusing or referring to anyone, I'm just making a point that we should never judge a persons character based on the vehicle they choose to own, we can be guilty of that sometimes you know. I firmly believe that thats the very thing that causes people who drive luxury cars to feel that they own the road and they're better than anyone else who drive anything less on the road, yes luxury has a funny way of turning your average Joe into a snob. No no no I'm not saying we all here are snobs but I am saying we must be careful or we or others will indeed find our noses elevated.

All you RX drivers out their, rock on, all you GX/LX drivers out their, rock on and all you American SUV drivers out their, rock on....

Last edited by Milla...; 04-22-04 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-22-04, 05:08 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up RX300 / 330 are for smart buyers

I'm a 25 year old male and purchased this car because...

According the Consumer Reports its a winner
Motor Trend gave it Truck of the Year
It has very low depreciation
JD Powers rated Lexus as the #1 in reliability

Buying a RX300 coming off lease is a really smart purchase. Its a versitle vehicle if you don't need off road capability. Its great for ski trips in the snow, yet comfortable for long rides. It just seemed like a good value.

I was one of those guys that hated SUV's when I had my 2 seat sports car and Crotch Rocket motorcycle, but I reallly missed being able to go up in the mountains sking, or worrying about my vehicle in the rain. Now I just sit back and enjoy the ride, lifes too short to let someone's perception of the vehicle you drive alter the way you live your life.

Last edited by toy4two; 04-22-04 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 10:53 PM
autodriver
Rookie

I bent down and checked the RX-330 (also applies to RX-300) exhaust area. I don't see anywhere to justify that is a female vehicle, nor male vehicle.

It is an ultimate driving machine!!!
Old 04-23-04, 06:39 AM
Milla...

Originally posted by autodriver
I bent down and checked the RX-330 (also applies to RX-300) exhaust area. I don't see anywhere to justify that is a female vehicle, nor male vehicle.

Hahaaaaaa now thats priceless..
Old 04-23-04, 06:38 PM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no way the ladies love my rx330
Old 04-24-04, 12:27 AM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Ladies RX300?

I would have to say, I am a guy who works in warehouse with a bunch of typical guys. Some drive lifted 4X4's, some drive lowered imports and lowriders. And all pretty much feel jealous of me in my RX300, I personally think it depends on attitude, love the car you drive and personalize it to your liking. I put on 18's and ride around bumpin, my trance and reggae with pride. Oh yeah and unlike most RX's mine is the beautiful Indigo Ink Pearl,or ( Pearl Blue) if you don't know that paint color, so it says more about being an individual instead of worrying about what other people think. Oh and having my new BMW Z4 parked next to it in the garage doesn't hurt either. Tata, Tater Tots....................=)

Last edited by LophatRX; 04-24-04 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-25-04, 08:17 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by autodriver

That's a great way to check. By the way, the ultimate driving machine is still a BMW (I had to throw that in).

As for the RX, I'd have to say I always liked the RX300, but like many guys think it's a vehicle that is geared towards women (since you see women mostly driving it).

The RX300 is an overall great vehicle, but not sporty enough to project that masculine feel to it. The RX does everything well, which is why the word practical comes to mind and when you think words like practical, you are thinking great family vehicle, which does not neccesarily mean a vehicle that you drool over and desire.

Now Lexus tried to improve this overall image with the new RX330 and I'd have to say they did a very good job. The RX330 is sportier overall, more power, larger rims and more cool gadgets / features, which guys always love to have (the more toys the better). These are several of the reasons, why I bought the RX330 (and did not have the desire earlier to purchase an RX300).

HOWEVER, I did buy this vehicle for my wife and baby and my wife loves it because it's practical and a great family vehicle, while still being somewhat sporty. I'd have to say the RX330 is growing on me too and I am enjoying it just as well.

Hower chalk one up for another female RX driver which further enhances this image of the RX being a woman's vehicle.
Old 04-26-04, 11:42 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Default "Chick's Car"?

lexguynj,

your lucky number must be "330".
rx330
bmw 330

anyway,

I laugh when I see people refer to cars as "chick" cars, or "guy" cars, etc...

Stereotypical usage is uncultured and unintellectual.
Anyone who posts on a luxury car forum should know better than to refer to a vehicle that way. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE

After all, do you refer to a motorcycle as a man's method of transportation, what about an 18 wheeler, etc...?

We all buy cars because they serve a certain function, image or need. We shouldn't rely on cars being built to cater to different gender's but rather different price ranges and features. When you buy a car because it fits a specific gender, or if a manufacturer builds a car with gender in mind, then you can rest assured it has been built and purchased for the wrong reasons...

I remember a friend once saying that he was going to stop buying cars that he wanted and focus on cars that he needed. This concept stayed fixed in my head and I still believe it is a great principal to make vehicle purchases with.

Finally,
my car is a "chick-driven car" in that my wife drives it mostly, that's not to say I don't drive it as often as I can, never fearing the image of a "female's car"...

Cheers,

Fern
Old 04-26-04, 01:28 PM
Milla...

I think the phrase "A girl's car" and "A man's car" is just a generic term used to discribe vehichels often driven by the two genders. I don't see it as something to be taken anymore seriously than that. BUT we cannot ignor the fact that some makers do consider the needs of females otherwise these makers could be accused of being asleep at the wheel, especially when its noted that the female (wife/girlfrind/moms) are the main sayers behind family car purchasing, mostly. When the world only had the big dogs (suburbans/ Land Cusiers / Box style Cherokee's and the like) most women didn't pay attention well myself and female friends anyway. When the SUV went car based and mini van based it caught the attention of more women they were more willing to go a little bigger because they sat closer to the ground etc etc etc, you know they weren't so intimidating and they serve as wonderful alternatives to the Mini Van. For crying out loud I'm here reading how many of you men bought not the LX but the RX mainly for who.....Yes your wives, why? Is it because it simply makes or made more sence for her a women to drive than some huge gigantuone or was it simply her preference, See my point. I personally would never technically call any car a female or male car for obvious reasons but I will admit that when I see a new beetle I think 17yr old FEMALE high school graduate (thank you daddy). Or If I see a late model Vett I think of a 50 yr old MALE going through mid life crisis (hey sweet heart). Yes your right preception isn't always reality but reality have a way of showing you some very interesting things some of which we wont always agree with.

I don't know I guess we can go on and on on this very interesting topic so I'll leave with this principle

'Just because Bannana's are the preferred food of Monkies dosen't mean no one else can eat them

Last edited by Milla...; 04-26-04 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-26-04, 02:06 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Milla...
For crying out loud I'm here reading how many of you men bought not the LX but the RX mainly for who.....Yes your wives, why? Is it because it simply makes or made more sence for her a women to drive than some huge gigantuone or was it simply her preference, See my point. Just because Bannana's are the preferred food of Monkies dosen't mean no one else can eat them
For the record I did not buy the RX for my wife.
She is educated and intelligent enough to have researched the car prior and I supported her decision, making the choice unanimous.

If I had first choice in picking the replacment vehicle for our aging '93 Pathfinder, it would be another Pathfinder, - chick car, guy car, ??? My choice would have been strictly based on past experience, her choice was based on "wanting something different".

She is a senior project manager in IT at a major Canadian bank and I can assure you she does not need my financial support either..

Altho for the guys reading, no, she doesn't wear the pants in the family, LOL!

Cheers,

//Fern

Quick Reply: Do you consider the Lexus RX300 to be a woman's SUV