RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Do you consider the Lexus RX300 to be a woman's SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 07:00 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Do you consider the Lexus RX300 to be a woman's SUV

I have had my Lexus RX300 for about a year now and I am always getting made fun of by my brother and my friends for driving a woman's SUV. Even though I have seen a lot of woman driving the RX300 I still consider it to be a sweet ride for a guy as well. I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys on what you think about this topic.
Old 04-21-04, 07:12 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn't worry about what they say. i'm sure the guys from the RX forum will have much to say about this....

just out of curiosity, what are your friend crusing around in?
Old 04-21-04, 07:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Why don't you post this in the RX forum, you'll get even more responses.
There are many women drivers in all types of SUV's anyway. Some say the FX is more manly, but I actually saw more women drivers in FX's than men, so just ignore your brother and friends & laugh it off.
Old 04-21-04, 08:24 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

yes, but i still want one
Old 04-21-04, 09:37 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am a woman btw... anyway the only reason women get SUV's is because they dont want the soccer mom look of the minivan but they like the cargo space for kids and stuff like that. its not a womans car they just get it for convience and the look. my father HATES our minivan and he plans on trading it in for an rx330 very soon. he said the rx is much more manly than that thing. so dont worry about it. SUV's are a spin off of a truck which is a "guy" thing for the most part.... but some of us girls can handle them too!

~ Stella
Old 04-21-04, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by Yankees Diva
i am a woman btw... anyway the only reason women get SUV's is because they dont want the soccer mom look of the minivan but they like the cargo space for kids and stuff like that. its not a womans car they just get it for convience and the look. my father HATES our minivan and he plans on trading it in for an rx330 very soon. he said the rx is much more manly than that thing. so dont worry about it. SUV's are a spin off of a truck which is a "guy" thing for the most part.... but some of us girls can handle them too!

~ Stella
Not quite, Ms. Diva.....your father needs a little more education. The RX300/330, like many SUV's today, is car-based, not truck-based (although, through a loophole, the EPA often classifies them as trucks), Many of its major systems and hardware were taken from the Camry. The other Lexus SUV's are indeed truck-based...the GX470 is a converted Toyota 4-Runner, and the LX470 is a converted Land cruiser.
Other examples of car-based SUV's: Toyota RAV4, Highlander; Honda CRV, Pilot; Mitsubishi Outlander, Endeavor, All Subaru Outbacks and Foresters; Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Chevrolet Equinox, Saturn VUE, Volvo XC-90, Mercedes ML-class; BMW X3, X5; and Cadillac SRX.
Old 04-21-04, 10:18 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
Not quite, Ms. Diva.....your father needs a little more education. The RX300/330, like many SUV's today, is car-based, not truck-based (although, through a loophole, the EPA often classifies them as trucks), Many of its major systems and hardware were taken from the Camry. The other Lexus SUV's are indeed truck-based...the GX470 is a converted Toyota 4-Runner, and the LX470 is a converted Land cruiser.
Other examples of car-based SUV's: Toyota RAV4, Highlander; Honda CRV, Pilot; Mitsubishi Outlander, Endeavor, All Subaru Outbacks and Foresters; Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Chevrolet Equinox, Saturn VUE, Volvo XC-90, Mercedes ML-class; BMW X3, X5; and Cadillac SRX.
your response is quite let me say to "educated" based on the fact that i gave an opinion. not to be rude but you obviously didnt read it. SUV's are like** trucks thats doesnt mean they are based on a truck design.

~ Stella
Old 04-21-04, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Yankees Diva
your response is quite let me say to "educated" based on the fact that i gave an opinion. not to be rude but you obviously didnt read it. SUV's are like** trucks thats doesnt mean they are based on a truck design.

~ Stella
No, you're not being rude.....and I hope I'm not either. The whole boundary line between today's "cars" and "trucks", for the most part, doesn't exist any more...and also between pickups and SUV's. There are so many "hybrid" and "crossover" vehicles today that even experienced auto analyists have a hard time classifying and keeping track of them. Good examples are the Chevrolet Avalanche and Subaru Baja, which have pickup-style beds and drop-down panels behind the rear seats to accept long cargo, also the GMC Envoy XUV, which is a conventional truck-based SUV, but with a roll-open rear roof panel that allows you to carry tall things like refrigerators. The PT Cruiser is perhaps the ultimate example of a vehicle that functions as a car, a truck, a van, or practically anything short of an open bed. And, of course, many of these crossover-type vehicles have full-time All-Wheel-Drive for use on any surface, without the hassles and restrictions of transfer cases or slippery-surface use only.

And, yes, there are SUV's that still ARE converted trucks.....the GM Tahoe/YukonSuburban/Denali/Escalade, Ford Explorer/Expedition/Navigator, Dodge Durango, Nissan Xterra, and the Suzuki Vitara/Grand Vitara.
Old 04-21-04, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

And as far as what is considered a "man's" or a "woman's" SUV......I'm not going to get into that argument. My feeling is: one should drive whatever suits one's needs best, and if other people don't like it....that's their problem. I just point out thre various vehicle types, that's all.
Old 04-21-04, 12:47 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Tell your friends to watch The Chappelle Show.

Dave drives a black RX330 in one skit, and in another Wayne Brady is driving an RX300 with huge wheels and Dave is in the passenger seat.
Old 04-21-04, 01:59 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

I like my RX300 but I am working on making some modifications to it. My brother drives a BMW 528i and my friends drive the typical Asian cars Acura Integra, Honda Accord etc. So they actually want me to get a more rugged SUV like the Nissan Xterra or the Toyota 4Runner. Personally, I am just happy to drive a Lexus.
Old 04-21-04, 02:17 PM
Milla...

I don't think any vehicles are women cars/trucks/vans I just think that women perfer certain types of vehicles over others and right now most women perfer SUV's and not wagons or mini vans. We live in an age where women take pride in there ability to adapt in areas where men only once roamed and so we see a great amount of female SUV drivers not saying that this is the one motivating factor behind female SUV owners but it is at the least one such reason. A women can easily accomplish the same things in a wagon and be comfortably lower to the ground without the bloatedness (if thats a word) of a mini van. Interestingly I see more women in GM Tahoes and Escalade on 22's then I see men, and thats being modest. I do think though the RX is more for the women who wants something thats not so masculine in stance such as the GM/Ford products but still wishes to make a point what ever that may be. I also feel the RX's were designed with women in mind for I consider it one being on the rather feminine side of the suv rainbow (no pun intended unless you insist).

Last edited by Milla...; 04-21-04 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 02:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Milla drives a men's SUV
Old 04-21-04, 02:39 PM
Milla...

Originally posted by SexySC
Milla drives a men's SUV

That's what they say, i myself perfer presence oh and a third row.. Huh I'd drive'em all Tahoe / Escalade / Avalanche / Navigator / Jeep Ranger and a feakin tractor.
Old 04-21-04, 02:42 PM
SCHEME
Pole Position

Hate to be the one to break it but the RX is marketed and designed specifically for women. That console in the middle, it's made to be a purse holder.

Quick Reply: Do you consider the Lexus RX300 to be a woman's SUV