RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New tires for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 03:56 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

toyo, is LTX more of a street, finer tread tire that would be quiter? 94k is awesome, that would take me about 8 years to reach so they might crack too, but that is some endorsement.
Old 05-13-04, 06:52 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The LTX is an M&S rated tire. Which is the same as most other tires. Noise is not an issue at all with these tires. They have alittle more aggressive of a tread pattern than the Ct tire, but there is no downfall to this type of tread. It is very good in the snow or light mud, in rain it is awseome. Rain is actually one of the best ways I determine how good a tire is, and the LTX is just downright very convincing.
The Ct is a good tire, but it was designed for a certain "market". That market being the SUV market. Michelin said to themselves, look at all these suv's out here, lets make a tire that we can say is "made" for the grocery mom. I would love to hear a educated tire saleman tell me that the Ct is a better tire than the Ct. I dont believe that will happen, unless the profit margin is higher on the Ct.
Old 05-13-04, 07:00 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the price diff between the two tires these days?
Old 10-30-04, 04:48 PM
rx300ny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoko geolanders

Late this summer, after 3 flats had to be fixed on three different OEM duelers, I replaced the tires on my RX... only do about 7.5K miles a year, all on road and long trips. Tried to do my homework on TireRack... everybody seemed to love the Yoko Geolanders, with a few dissenters that said they rode hard and were hard to balance. So I went with those, even special ordering them from a local tire shop that had never heard of them.

Man, have I been disappointed. Have had them balanced three times, and can't get the tire hop or slight vibrations out of them. (Most recent shop really tried to do a good job, and even tried to find the tire hop problem, which they couldn't) Handling is marginally better, but the ride really suffers. Now I feel kind of stuck with them... they weren't forced on me, I chose 'em over dealer recommendation of Michelin LTX/MS (which I had on my old Jeep and loved). Subsequently, Consumer Reports came out and trashed them... (although they also didn't like Michelin CT's and LTX's and liked stuff we never heard of)

I'd advise others to stay away from the Geos... and anybody have any ideas on what I can do with these?

ed
Old 10-30-04, 07:53 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Backyard tree swing, morning paper fetch attire, basement game room sofa,...... If you own a boat, you can hang the tires on the starboard side.

Isn't Consumer Reports great?
Old 10-31-04, 09:11 AM
rx300ny
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy thanks for nothing

Hey, that's useful

But seriously, does ANYBODY think I have any recourse? If not, what are the best picks?
Old 11-15-04, 11:43 PM
edco
Driver School Candidate

Default Go with Cross Terrains

Mr. Fleming:
I see you are also a fellow NJerseyan..
I can tell you without a doubt that the Cross Terrain's are by far the best for our part of the country..
They are smooth and quiet on dry roads (and hot pavement in the summer), rainy roads in the spring and fall, and snowy roads in the winter. I feel very safe with these tires. I have some of the others mentioned on my other vehicles and ironically do not find the same performance that others seem to have enjoyed.

If you're a member of BJ's Wholesale club..you cannot beat their price, although I don't know what Costco and Sam's Club charge these days.BJs is actually running sale this week. I thik it's $10 off per tire.
Once a year, I take my car back there..they rotate the tires at no cost, and the difference from the No-Tegrity that came os OEMs are night and day..
Personally, I recommend the white lettering INSIDE (so you don't see them when you are driving or parked), but to each their own preference..

Don't waste your money with cheaper alternatives...You'll just end up spending the money twice !

Hope this helps you

ED in NJ
Old 11-16-04, 03:16 PM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

Default Re: Go with Cross Terrains

Originally posted by edco

I can tell you without a doubt that the Cross Terrain's are by far the best for our part of the country..They are smooth and quiet on dry roads (and hot pavement in the summer), rainy roads in the spring and fall, and snowy roads in the winter. I feel very safe with these tires. I have some of the others mentioned on my other vehicles and ironically do not find the same performance that others seem to have enjoyed.

Don't waste your money with cheaper alternatives...You'll just end up spending the money twice !
I agree

Last edited by TTEHarrier; 11-17-04 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 04:08 PM
steevr
Pole Position

I bought a set of Cross Terrains last year for our old Expedition and they were cheaper installed than what I could have just purchased them for from the Tire Rack. Costco often runs a special when you buy 4 Michelin's, your save another $50-$60.

I plan on replacing the OEM Bridgestones next summer with the Cross Terrains. If got 32K on my RX right now.
Old 11-16-04, 06:32 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I purchased the CTs for my RX 300. They are wonderful! Cornering, snow, mud, rain, whatever NJ can produce. I could feel the difference in my traction.
Old 11-17-04, 01:59 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

You might want to consider the Toyo Open Country M-410 All season.....rated very highly on consumer reports. Much cheaper than the Michelins with better wet & winter traction.
Old 11-17-04, 05:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

From rough experiences here in Mexico City, I have to stay the my Cross Terrains (235s) have been kings on my 99 RX AWD since switching from Integritys over two years ago. Mine come with 5 ply as opposed to U.S. specs of 3 ply. I have gone up mountains and over potholes. Only thing that I have to really do extra down here is have the car aligned every month (It is cheap like $10 and that have the new Bear LED system).

Anyone hear put nitrogen in their tires, I do they really cruise nice. I heard Costco in the States does this.
Old 11-17-04, 08:34 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
You might want to consider the Toyo Open Country M-410 All season.....rated very highly on consumer reports. Much cheaper than the Michelins with better wet & winter traction.
Not anymore. It's now mid-pack in CR with lousy ice braking. See Nov. 2004 issue.
Old 11-18-04, 01:47 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My subscription expired actually lol What is the highest (or Top 3) rated all season SUV tires Harrier in the November issue? I must say mind you, I'm not a huge fan of they way they test their vehicles for ice braking.......on a hockey rink doing 5 or 10 MPH......it's really not the 'real world' IMO. If they were testing a Zambonie's tires, yes I couldn't think of a better testing place than a hockey arena........but as it is....
Old 11-18-04, 03:21 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Even the top rated tires didn't do well in all areas. Please buy a copy, and help CR do more test.

Hockey rink is a good test IMHO. It simulates the "black ice" scenario near intersections. Also, the secondary roads around here don't get plowed much. So the snow melts in the afternoon and refreeze by dinner time. The entire road is covered in ice.

Quick Reply: New tires for RX300