RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New tires for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-04, 07:12 PM
jfleming
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New tires for RX300

Hello,

I need to purchase new tires for my 2000 RX300 and I'm looking for some advice. In the research I have done I have heard three tire names thrown around as being very good tires for the RX300. They are the Michelin Cross-Terrain, Michelin LTX M/S and Bridgestone Dueler H/L. After doing some price comparisons and research myself, I came upon another tire which I could not find mentioned anywhere.

In a Consumer Reports article from November 2001, they ranked highly the BFGoodrich Radial Longtrail T/A tires, I was wondering if anybody had any expereince with these tires. I found them to be a better cost alternative for the higher priced tires which are frequently mentioned. And with the Consumer Reports rating, I was interested in purchasing them, but was concerned in not finding any information on them in these forums.

Also, with regards to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L, Consumer Reports ranked their snow-handling very poorly which concerns me as I live in the Northeast where snow can occur frequently in the winter. Has anybody had any real world experience with these tires in the snow?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

John
flem@cybercomm.net
Old 05-02-04, 07:55 PM
MikeK
Driver School Candidate

John:
Get the Michelin Cross-Terrains. I changed out my Goodyear Intecraps at 2000 miles on my 2001 AWD RX300. I also went one size larger (235 instead of 225). These tires corner better (stiffer sidewall), have a higher load rating and wear like bandits. They also work very well in snow.
Mike
Old 05-03-04, 05:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Like MikeK, I also used CTXs 235s on my 99 AWD. The Michelin's have held up very well over the past 2 years I have had them in Mexico. If they can handle the bad roads here, you should have no problem on nice American roads.
Old 05-03-04, 04:36 PM
jfleming
Driver School Candidate

Question

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, they reflect what I have found most often during my research. That being that the Cross-Terrains are highly regarded as the best tires for the RX300. However, I'm trying to investigate a cheaper alternative as they are highly priced to match their performance.

In particular, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the BFGoodrich Radial Longtrail T/A tires? Also, as I asked in my original post, does anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires in the snow, as they got a bad snow performance rating in the Consumer Reports article.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-04-04, 01:44 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

If you are looking for a more economical choice, check out the Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051.

You can read other people's feedback on the tirerack website and compare it to the other tires you are considering.
Old 05-06-04, 09:38 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In looking at Consumer Reports tire tests over the years, I've found that they rarely test tires that I would consider for any of my vehicles. In particular, the most common alternatives that owners replace their Goodyear Rimprotectegritys with (CTXs, couple of the Bridgestones, Yokohama...........see TireRack's comparisons) were not tested last time CR did an SUV tire comparo (haven't seen this month's issue yet, so there could be one that I haven't seen).

As far as cost, tires are one of the least expensive components of car ownership is terms of cost/mile. $200 difference over 20k miles (and the CTXs, for instance, last considerably longer) works out to 1 cent per mile difference.

BTW, I'd give more credibility to TireRack than CR simply because TR has more of a customer base for tire reviews than CR does. I get the CR survey annually (which I dutifully fill out, obsessive-compulsive that I am) and they have NEVER asked about my tire purchasing habits nor my experience with same.

Please don't interpret this post as criticizing the BFGs; I've had no experience with them nor have I seen posts regarding them.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-04, 10:29 AM
steevr
Pole Position

If you're looking at Michelin Cross Terrains, check out Costco. I get a new set for our Expedition cheaper than the Tire Rack. The tires are great. I will replace my Bridgestone's on my '02 RX 300 with the X Terrains when it comes time.
Old 05-06-04, 07:19 PM
jassurafs
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jfleming
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, they reflect what I have found most often during my research. That being that the Cross-Terrains are highly regarded as the best tires for the RX300. However, I'm trying to investigate a cheaper alternative as they are highly priced to match their performance.

In particular, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the BFGoodrich Radial Longtrail T/A tires? Also, as I asked in my original post, does anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires in the snow, as they got a bad snow performance rating in the Consumer Reports article.

Thanks for the help.
I too was in the same boat two weeks ago. After spending considerable time doing research for the best tires, I finally got Yokohama GeoLander on my 1999 Rx. I was particularly impressed with the reviews these tires got at tirerack and since I got them I should say my decision is vindicated. Though it is just two weeks since I got them replaced from Duellers, I already can feel the difference. Its definetly one of the best tires.
Old 05-07-04, 07:20 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the x-terains are more expensive but worth every penny. I have posted a few opinions on this if you search. They are amazing in the snow etc..
Here was my first review

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2
Old 05-09-04, 07:42 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

we got a set of Michelin Cross Terrainss from Sam's club for our 2002 rx 300 coach after our teen age son curbed a couple of the original tires. We were diappointed vs original much cheaper tires. Michelin Cross Terrains are noisy and we never get snow here . we found no improved handling.with the Michelin Cross Terrains.
Old 05-11-04, 04:24 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We love the OEM Goodyears, they are super quiet and great for street use imo. No problems in weather either so far after 5 years+. We are conservative drivers. Would have had 60k+ on the set on the '99. So far these on the '03 are great too all except . . .

those ribs that are hard to clean and collect the tire shine fluids - I wish Goodyear would eliminate the fine ribs, what purpose can they serve?
Old 05-12-04, 06:11 PM
jfleming
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am actually thinking at this point that I may just go after the Cross Terrains. One service man I spoke to told me that the are reversible (ie. you can have the outlined white lettering on the inside where it is not visible). Can anybody let me know if this is true, or if they can only be mounted one way?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-13-04, 05:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

This is true, it comes with white lettering on one side, black on the other, both nice, but only black on the outside looks good on a Lexus, but white on an Explorer or Jeep is nice.
Old 05-13-04, 08:48 AM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My '01 RX300 came with Bridgestones and they wore out at around 40000 miles. Not too bad...

They were replaced with Michelin CrossTerrain tires(same size). These will definitely last longer,
as I've already driven 41000 miles on them and the tread look nearly new.

HOWEVER, I really wished I had NOT chosen the CrossTerrains. Compared to the original
Bridgestones, the CTs are noisy and the ride is rougher. (my family has 3 RX300s so I compared
the tires directly with each other)

I
Old 05-13-04, 12:02 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned all the tires you are thinking about. When I purchased my 2nd Rx, The first day I got it I took off the goodyears and put LTX on them. They lasted 94k miles, and they werent even worn out, they were starting to crack. I replaced them with a brand new set. I have 15k on them and they still look brand new. I did not have good luck mileage wise with the cross terrains. I got 40k out of them on my 2wd Tundra. The LTX has long been regaded as the all time best LT, SUV tire. It is def alot more durable, stronger of a tire.

Quick Reply: New tires for RX300