RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oxygen and knock sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 07:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcherIII
It makes sense that if there was an issue with the knock sensors that the ECM would not let the tranny shift into overdrive, and it would retard the timing or increase the fuel mixture to a rich condition making your gas mileage drop. The knock sensors are of course listening for detonation and allowing the shift to overdrive would put increased load on the engine, making the detonation worse.

The manual recommends 91 octane but states that a lower octane can be used. I use 91 as recommended. The lower octane is probably fine under light load and cruise, but under hard acceleration it could cause knock which would the ECM to adjust. Again this leads to decreased performance and fuel mileage.

My first Toyota V6 was a 95 Camry. It occasionally had an issue with misfiring under hard acceleartion. Since the car was a short term lease I ignored it. Shortly before turning the car in I just so happened to be reading the manual to find out the fuel capacity. At that point I realized I should have been using premium all along. I immediately switched for what it was worth and the car then accelerated cleanly. Of course I cannot be certain that this was the problem but I suspect it was. Also many years ago a friend of mine had an issue with his Monte SS. I suggested he switch brands of gas since he had always purchased from the same place. Problem solved.
Well said. Welcome to CL btw.
Old 07-25-05, 10:10 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad news , over the weekend i was out of town and so my parents drove the car around to test the car out. My dad said that the check engine light came back on and the reving came back on, when they was driving it home for work. Im bringing it to lexus again today at lunch to have them look at it agian. Do anyone know what the problem is and if it is related to the tranny?

i hope they can fix it or said it the tranny cuz it still under the powertrain warranty.
Old 07-27-05, 06:43 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Bored,

Not sure what the problem would be, but keep us posted on it please... could be they botched the knock sensor install somehow, and you are getting the same code again.
Old 07-27-05, 10:21 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
Bored,

Not sure what the problem would be, but keep us posted on it please... could be they botched the knock sensor install somehow, and you are getting the same code again.
Found the problem, those dumb *** at the dealer i got the car from change my knock sensor but forgot to plug one of the air hose in so that cause the check engine light to come on and made the car have this rocking feeling when on idle. As far as the reving goes i think my dad put the car in the wrong gear to 2 instead of D becuase he told me it rev even more going 60mph, RPM was at 5500 he said so im thinking he put it in the wrong gear. So far since i fix my knock sensor the car drives great. I just need to do a major tune up just to have a little peace of mind.

thank for everyone help.
Old 07-27-05, 11:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guess they "missed" the "test drive" part of the work order . . .

Glad your problems are solved!
Old 07-27-05, 11:48 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Guess they "missed" the "test drive" part of the work order . . .

Glad your problems are solved!
yea, i guess they did.

So i guess the knock sensor does keep you car from going into a higher gear and it stay in safe mode sometime until you can get it fix. im soo happy that it such a easy fix and hopefuly will run smooth from now on.

thanks
Old 10-24-11, 02:43 PM
kford1040
Driver School Candidate

Earlier this year I replaced an oxygen sensor in my car. TheCEL returned after awhile with a P0171 lean bank error code, and I continued to drive my 2000 RX300, which was probably a mistake. When I took it in this weekend it turns out it was a bad Denso sensor, that they replaced for free but now they are telling me that both my knocking sensors are bad. What I want to know is it possible that they aren't really bad and that just driving with a lean fuel mixture is giving a false reading and if i maybe clean the MAF and replace the spark plugs that the knocking sensors may be ok?
Old 10-24-11, 10:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by kford1040
Earlier this year I replaced an oxygen sensor in my car. TheCEL returned after awhile with a P0171 lean bank error code, and I continued to drive my 2000 RX300, which was probably a mistake. When I took it in this weekend it turns out it was a bad Denso sensor, that they replaced for free but now they are telling me that both my knocking sensors are bad. What I want to know is it possible that they aren't really bad and that just driving with a lean fuel mixture is giving a false reading and if i maybe clean the MAF and replace the spark plugs that the knocking sensors may be ok?
Welcome to the Club. If you get those knock sensor codes, you reset them, and they still come back, then they need changing. The only other tricks there are trying some Premium gas, but I think every time we've had someone with those codes, they end up changing the two knock sensors (easier to change both given the difficulty).
Old 10-24-11, 10:47 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

The person who owned my RX before me had shifting issues. It turns out one of the knock sensors were bad. The knock sensor will cause shiftng problems.

As for the lean bank. Have you recently replaced your air filter? I know that there is a hose that connects to the airbox and can cause a vacuum leak causing a code to appear. Thats my two cents.