RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Mark Levinson Soundsystem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 10:50 AM
C21Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Mark Levinson Soundsystem...

I haven't gotten my Lexus yet, (2 weeks to go...) but wanted to get feedback on the ML sound. Is is great or just average. Being in my late 30's, I'm not looking for something that will rock the neighborhood, but I am looking for something that sounds like a good aftermarket system. As far as the bass goes, I don't want to shake the car next to me, but would a Bazooka sub help with the DVD entertainment system?

Anyone "improve" their system/speakers a bit?

Thanks in advance....
Old 06-11-04, 11:37 AM
04SCRX
Driver School Candidate

I have ML on both my 04 SC and 04 RX. I personally think it's great, especially in the SC. You'll definitely like the rear view camera. My wife said that she will require that feature on all her future cars.
Old 06-12-04, 08:42 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The Mark Levinson , as I have heard in the Lexus cars like the RX, SC, and LX sounds best when your inside the car. If your outside the car the Mark Levinson sounds like a plain system but inside it is a truly amazing sounding system. It is very clear and the bass is really great I haven't heard anything like it.
Old 06-12-04, 01:05 PM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mark Levinson in RX330

Honestly, I think the ML in the RX330 is just Ok. I have ML because my RX330 came configured with it. I am not sure if it is worth the Premium Price. I have had superior sounding systems in my Volvos. In my Volvo Alpine setup, which was their premium system from the factory, it truly felt like you were in a concert hall. I think the bass is lacking in the RX330. It also could be the speaker configuration. It depends upon what you are used to listening to.
Old 06-13-04, 01:16 PM
stephenkyu
Driver School Candidate

Some of the Volvo vehicles have/had an optional Dolby Pro-Logic sound system... that is why they sound nice.
Old 06-17-04, 10:56 PM
rdollie
Rookie

Originally posted by stephenkyu
Some of the Volvo vehicles have/had an optional Dolby Pro-Logic sound system... that is why they sound nice.
Current Volvo upgraded systems include Dolby Pro-Logic I Surround (sedans and wagon prior to '04.5 models) and Dolby Pro-Logic II Surround (XC90 T6, possibly all '05 models, and the new 445 watt system in the new '04.5 S40/V50.)

I've sampled / owned Logic7 (BMW), Mark Levinson,and the Volvo setups. If you want ear bleed noise that can be heard a block away go with the Logic7. If you want the best quality sound I would give the nod to the Dolby Prologic setups as they give a much better soundstage and sound better at all sound levels (and some of the Volvo systems come with multiple equalizers for zones in the car so you can really customize the sound.)
Old 07-01-06, 11:48 PM
psustud
Driver School Candidate

Default The MK system is dissapointing

I've heard the MK system in both the LX 470 and the LS 430. They both were good, but I was very disappointed after hearing all of the rave reviews of the systems. I've read that MK in the Lexus is supposed to be the VERY best stereo out of all of the factory stereos.

First of all, the Mids in highs were, indeed great and among the best I've heard in most cars, though it did sound VERY similar to the Nakamichi systems that were in Lexus from '93-'01.

The VERY disappointing part was bass. As much as I hate to admit it, I am a slight 'bass-head' and I cannot call a stereo great unless the bass is as good as every other quality. The MK systems in the two Lexus' that I heard lacked any form of decent bass at any volume level above 'low/quiet', when compared to systems that are in BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Volvo. Even Buicks have better bass. The subwoofer in the rear distorted at any level above 'quiet'!!! GIve the bass a booste with the equalizer and it's ALL OVER!!! This system is toaste!

I couldn't believe what I heard after reading revies that claimed that the MK systems are the best. I agree with whoever sad that the bass sounded like an 'Emerson' (the cheapest brand you can get at either Wal-Mart or Best Buy) boombox! IT DID!!!

I can only see calling this sound system the best if you strictly listen to classical music, where flaws in the lower end wouldn't be quite as appearant and the strong mids and highs in these systems would truly shine. I however happen to listen to R&B, Rap (Good stuff!!!!! OK!!!), Pop and 'Phil Collins' type 80's easy listening/rock... so it's pretty obvious why bass is so important to me (Country music needs strong bass too!), however...

Good sound means good sound from ALL frequency ranges, no matter what kind of music you listen too. The Mids in Highs in these cars were great (but didn't blow any other premium brand out of the water though), however, the bass is among the WORST!

Now I know that anyone who truly knows a good deal about good audio knows that Bose is, for the most part crap, but as far as Bose in cars go, I still think that they're among the best despite the current offerings from Harmon/Kardon (Logic 7), Dynaudio (Volvo & '06 VW's) and Boston Acoustics (Chrystlers, Dodges).

The best bass, and overall sound, I've heard thus far out of all the premium factory systems can be found in the AUDI A8 (Bose, Phenomenally deep and rich bass, plus great sound stage up front), Porsche Carrara and Porsche Boxter who all use Bose (Big surprise since I think Bose home systems are 'gimmicky' and are crap).

In conclusion, I'd give the MK system in the Lexus a 6 out of 10... NOT good at all for cars that sell above $40k considering what you can get in a Nissan or Mitsubishi. I'm into my music and I demand good sound in luxory vehicles and, honestly, the Mark Levinson system would be a good reason for me to not buy a lexus and buy a BMW, Audi, or Merc instead. I can't see out the folks at MK can be so proud of stamping their name on systems like these when they make some of the finest home audio gear money can buy, nor can I see what the hell these Edmunds.com, 'Car & Driver' or 'Automobile' reviewers were raving about!!!