RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What tint for the front windows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 07:42 PM
Stone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tint for the front windows?

I had a clear bra put on today and the installer showed me some tint. it was Llumar 30 and 15%. The 15% looks almost identical to the factory rear window tint. From the inside its a bit different. The 30% is better for the fronts but won't match well. I want to get it to protect the black leather interior.

Has anyone had theirs done AND knows what was installed and the numbers for the tint along with the brand.

I read the previous tint posts and nothing specific was posted.

Thanks
Old 06-12-04, 09:21 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I remember those that did have the front windows tinted on their RX300's used Llumar brand tint as it matched the factrory tint very closely. Your right, from inside the difference may be noticeable but it is a very close match on the outside.

There are already quite a few threads about this in the RX forum. A quick search using the term "llumar" and I found these:

Fourth post gives you the film roll #

A picture of the llumar

Another angle of the same RX

It's the closest you'll find.
Old 06-13-04, 10:55 AM
Stone
Driver School Candidate

LXRex-

i neglected to state that I have an RX 330. Still looking for suggestions.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-13-04, 03:26 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Stone
LXRex-

i neglected to state that I have an RX 330. Still looking for suggestions.

Thanks for the info.
Apologies, I assumed since you were looking at Llumar film that you had an RX300. So many have used that film to match their OEM mirror tint.

Well, you are in a better situation then since all you have to do is match the factory black tint. I know going close to 30% (32-35% is legal in most states) will not match the factory. Going 20% is farily dark but probably just a shade lighter than factory. I would agree that 15%, while dark, would match the rears closer than anything.

From the inside of the vehicle you will notice a difference from the factory tint, which is not a film vs the aftermarket tint, no matter what you choose. I have heard good things about the brand Sun-Guard as well as Llumar.

In my opinion, if you can deal with the darkness of the 15%, go for the close match. If not, 20% is a good compromise. Also, see if there is a tint shop near you that has the device used over windows to determine the light transmission percentage - then you would know eactly what percent the rears are.
Old 06-15-04, 11:05 AM
Stone
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. My wife decided to go with the 15% Llumar metallic . This will make the fronts almost as dark as the rear. Should look very uniform just not quite legal. I'll follow up when its done.
Old 06-15-04, 08:52 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: What tint for the front windows?

always love showing off mine, but i just know its a 3M tint, nothing else.

I had a clear bra put on today and the installer showed me some tint. it was Llumar 30 and 15%. The 15% looks almost identical to the factory rear window tint. From the inside its a bit different. The 30% is better for the fronts but won't match well. I want to get it to protect the black leather interior.
Old 06-15-04, 10:00 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Thanks for the info. My wife decided to go with the 15% Llumar metallic . This will make the fronts almost as dark as the rear. Should look very uniform just not quite legal. I'll follow up when its done.
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-17-04, 03:28 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default legal to have mirror tint in Florida?

Does anyone know if it is legal to have mirror tint in Florida? I'm thinking about getting some mirror tint for my front windows but I want to make sure it's legal first. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-17-04, 06:24 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

vinster29, check out this website for details on Florida's tinting laws. I don't know how valid this web site's information is but it had the right information for Georgia's tinting laws - that is before our tinting laws were thrown out a couple weeks ago.

You can also check with the Florida DMV to see if they have any details on the subject.

Last edited by LexRX; 06-17-04 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 12:42 PM
Lekside
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys:

Where can I buy the LLumar Platinum Plus(TM) window film for the front windows of my 99 RX300. Any link is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-05-05, 10:21 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window Tint

I live in Monroe County. And work in Miami-Dade. Never had any problems with the extra tint I put on my RX300.

I put reflective in the front. And black on the back 5 windows. The installer talked me out of going with the extra dark limo tint. Glad he did. If my tinting was any darker. It would be hard to see through at night.
Old 04-06-05, 04:59 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Stone

Has anyone had theirs done AND knows what was installed and the numbers for the tint along with the brand.

I read the previous tint posts and nothing specific was posted.

Thanks
I have Llumar tint on my ES as well.......In Canada, they offer 3 shades......35% (light), 20% (medium) & 5% (limo dark). I put the medium shade for all windows to keep it one colour......looks better that way. The 15% (confirm that is the medium shade down there?) should be good & you won't have any issues with visibility at night. llumar is one of the best tints you can get........as it's metalized & scratch resistant.
Old 04-06-05, 05:39 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would also lightly tint the rear windows on teh RX330 as well. That is what I'll be doing along with the fronts. The factory tinted windows I believe do not block UV whereas many tints do.
Old 04-06-05, 07:36 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Personally, I would also lightly tint the rear windows on teh RX330 as well. That is what I'll be doing along with the fronts. The factory tinted windows I believe do not block UV whereas many tints do.
I would ask Lexus that directly before putting tint over aleady fairly dark, factory smoked glass.
Old 04-06-05, 09:40 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just about all factory tint glass block UV rays effectively. You can use UV-rated clear tint film if you want to be sure. I had it done on my front windows so I no longer have trucker's arm.

(or simply spray paint it over for total UV blockage.)

Quick Reply: What tint for the front windows?