RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Keys - how many come w/ the car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 04:50 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys - how many come w/ the car?

I bought a used (but Certified) 2000 RX 300 about a month ago. I was given a "due bill" for an extra key because there was only one with the car at the time of purchase. There were also a few other minor things that needed replacing (cupholder, front right marker light) that were promised me also. After failing to get a call from the salesman at the dealer, I called and was told "Whoops...forgot to order that stuff for you. It'll all be here in a few days." Still no call. So I call back, make an appointment (after much run-around from salesman) and finally take the car yesterday to get everything repaired and FINALLY get a license plate put on. Long story short: I had to make TWO trips to the dealer today; was told the car was ready at noon - it wasn't. Picked it up late this afternoon; I find it sitting on the lot with the driver's door half-way open and key in ignition and nobody in sight. I was given a pack on the back and a smile and sent on my merry way. When I get home, I discover that the "key" I was given (free-of-charge, thankfully) appears to be just a valet key. It won't go into the lock in the glove compartment, but fits the ignition and doors. Surely these vehicles came with 2 'remote' keys, didn't they? And, if so, shouldn't a "Certified Vehicle" be equipped with all three? I hate to be a pest, but after dropping 22 big, shouldn't I? Otherwise, I have to spend $75 or so for a new one? There's a LOT more to this story, but time and space doesn't permit me to write the entire charade.
Old 07-27-04, 05:23 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Normally the car comes with 2 full access keys with remotes built in, 1 valet key, and 1 "emergency" key that is a bit bigger than a credit card. The emergency key is a plain metal key, and the carrier it comes in contains the RF chip that allows the ignition to start the car. (I believe you need to wave the carrier at the ignition while you turn the key.)
Old 07-27-04, 05:38 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rxdriver
Normally the car comes with 2 full access keys with remotes built in, 1 valet key, and 1 "emergency" key that is a bit bigger than a credit card. The emergency key is a plain metal key, and the carrier it comes in contains the RF chip that allows the ignition to start the car. (I believe you need to wave the carrier at the ignition while you turn the key.)
There's an arrow on the credit card carrier, and you hold the credit card carrier with the arrow close to the switch; at least that's how my salesman explained it. And as I recall, at least for my 330 from my dealer, is on the order of $300.

Last edited by jayskinner; 07-27-04 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-27-04, 07:33 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should've been given a total of 4 keys. Two regular remote keys, one valet key, and a wallet emergency key. Apparently this CPO Lexus was a "Repo" Lexus. That's why the dealer doesn't have all the keys.

Assume it was a repo. The previous owner might not have done all the necessary maintenance. I'd demand all the keys or my money back.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 07-27-04 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-28-04, 05:27 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

While repo is a possibility, I'd think there are several other less drastic and more likely possibilities:
- The original owner lost the key.
- The original owner didn't bring the 2nd key (the spouse had it), was supposed to bring it to the dealer after the fact, and never did.
- The dealer lost the key. It was hanging on a board for the salespeople to use, and it never got returned after a test drive.
- The key was broken by the original owner or the dealer.
- and so on...

I would certainly agree that any reputable dealer should provide all 4 keys, especially if it's a CPO. In any case, the dealer should have gotten the 4th key and eaten the cost, buried it in the trade-in value, or buried it in the sales price.
Old 07-28-04, 06:00 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Thanks rxdriver; Harrier's message had me ready to push my car over a cliff!
Old 07-28-04, 09:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

While repo is a possibility, I'd think there are several other less drastic and more likely possibilities:
- The original owner lost the key.
Based on mailrail's original post, he only got a valet key. It's clear indication that it was a repo.

Here's how repo works: When no master key is available or transponder is needed, the repo man use the VIN info from the bank to request a key from the manufacturer. Lexus corporate probably gave the authorized repo man the valet key. Then the repo man retrieves the car for the bank. Repo man would never confront the default owner for the keys.

Mailrail: If you want to push something over the cliff, push the sales guy.
Old 07-29-04, 04:53 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

mailrail will have to clarify that for us... my read was that he got a remote key with the car, and when he went back to the dealer for what he thought would be a second remote key, he got just a valet key. It would be very suspicious if the car came with no remote keys at all... then yes, I'd start thinking along these lines as well. It's also not right if the car came with just one key, even it was a remote key. While my other comments would still apply, I'd definitely say that the dealer that accepted the car in trade would be pretty careless to only get one key back.

Since it's CPO, I'd consider calling Lexus corporate if the dealer can't resolve this quickly. Depending on the rest of the story, a call might already be in order.

HarrierAWD - actually, this repo thread is kind of interesting.
Since the keys have coded transponders in them, how would you repo an RX? Lexus must have thought of this and built something into the car... can they make a valet key with a special code that always works, or would they reproduce one for the car based on manufacturing data?

Last edited by rxdriver; 07-29-04 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 06:30 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Squeaky wheel, routine maintenance of....

Originally posted by mailrail
Thanks rxdriver; Harrier's message had me ready to push my car over a cliff!
Stop worrying! First, if your car is a CPO, you're covered for major mechanical issues for a good long time. In this case, it's plausible that either the previous owner lost the key (as rxdriver said) or, more likely, given the dealer's demonstrated carelessness, your dealer managed to misplace it.

Second, if it is a repo, it is not necessarily junk. If it were, it would not have been CPO'ed because it would be too large a liability to the dealer (and the insurer) to warranty a vehicle that has potential problems.

I'd go back to the dealer carrying a copy of that "due bill" and explain your dissatisfaction (again). If your salesman is not taking care of you, go to his/her manager. Explain that another valet key is not satisfactory and show the documentation you received when you purchased the vehicle. You don't have to threaten them, just be firm, tell them you expect satisfaction, and if it's not forthcoming, leave and move on to the next step.

Lexus works very hard to build not only their brand image, but, through their dealer network, their service reputation as well. You are not having a "Lexus Ownership Experience", and you should take your case to Lexus' Customer Assistance, listed in your owner's manual. They can help you, either by applying heat to your dealer (that gets their attention) or by mediating your case to your satisfaction. Lexus would probably appreciate knowing when their representatives are not measuring up - they have a great deal at stake. (And they know that 47 "attaboys" = 1 "ahsh1t" in the customer service business) This isn't a large issue to them because although a solution might a little pricey, it's worth it to maintain your good will. You have written evidence of their promise to provide a second remote key; they need to pony up.

When you get the key, run - don't walk - to another dealer. There are a few franchisees out there that don't live up to the Lexus image, and it looks like you've found one. Maybe someone on this forum can help direct you to a local dealer that offers the genuine Lexus Experience. Good Luck!

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-29-04 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 10:09 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
You should've been given a total of 4 keys. Two regular remote keys, one valet key, and a wallet emergency key
This is exactly what I got with my 2001 RX300.

Old 07-29-04, 11:41 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keys

I picked up a CPO 2001 RX300 a few months ago. I got 3 keys. Two remote and valet. I asked about the credit card one. But they said the car didnt come with one. I asked about getting one. But was told they didnt make them any more. The did have a key to get in the door if you get locked out. But it wouldnt work on any other lock. Thats what I needed. So I bought one. Its 1 3/4 inch long and 1/2 wide piece of machined aluminum. 55 dollars.
Old 07-29-04, 02:25 PM
Traturn
Driver

Unfortunately, the CPO program guidelines only 'require' one Master key (with Remote)

Although it would be nice if they would provide 2 master keys with every CPO car, the program guidelines only say that 1 is necessary. Keep in mind that these keys cost the NCD close to $200 from parts. This comes right off the bottom line.

If you get a CPO with just a valet key, you have a beef.

New vehicles come with 2 remote, 1 valet 1 wallet/flat key with holder.
Old 07-29-04, 03:21 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Mailrail: If you want to push something over the cliff, push the sales guy.
Don't think for a minute that the thought hasn't occured in my head.

rxdriver read it right the first time: My vehicle came with ONE remote key only. The salesman signed a due bill at the time of purchase for another key, which I incorrectly assumed would be an additional remote. When I went to pick up the key and some other 'due billed' items, I discovered that it was only a valet key. Guess I'll have to purchase one on Ebay. I'm hoping that I can at least talk the dealer into programming it for free. If not, does anyone have instructions for programming an RX key?

Lil4x: Unfortunately, I didn't receive a copy of the due bill. I'm pretty sure, though, that the due bill only stated "spare key". I don't remember seeing "remote" written anywhere on it. I believe this dealer is trying to do the right thing, but they're a bunch of stumble-dicks who can't seem to get it right. I received a letter two weeks after buying the car which asked me to take the car to the county clerk's office and have the inspection done by the sheriff's office (you have to have out-of-state vehicles physicaly inspected in KY before getting a license tag) and complete the paperwork to get my plate. Can you believe they would do that? Naturally, I immediately called my salesman to ask what was up with that. When I dropped my car off at the dealer, I was told it wouldn't take long and I could probably pick it back up around lunchtime. It wasn't ready until closing time THE NEXT DAY! Luckily, they put me in an '04 330 as a loaner, so I didn't mind the extra wait. Also, a mere 2 weeks after purchase (remember, this is a CPO w/ 54K miles) I got a letter stating that it was time to bring in my vehicle for its 4 month/5K mile interval maintenance. 2 weeks after purchase!?! They're the only "game in town" and the nearest Lexus dealer is about 75 miles away, so I don't want to **** them off by complaining TOO much right off the bat but they truly seem like blithering idiots to me. Case in point - one of the due bill items was the console cupholder. On the way from the parts department to the car with it, the salesman drops it on the floor of the service department. It's hard plastic and took a nasty bounce. He picked it up, looked it over and said that it was fine and stuck it in the console. When I got home, I took it out to turn it around to the other side of the console and noticed that it was cracked BIG TIME.
Old 07-29-04, 05:13 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Harrier may have a good idea there!

Well, that tears it! I didn't know Larry, Moe, and Curly had a Lexus franchise.

Don't burn any bridges, mailrail, you are doing the right thing by trying to work with them. Take the cupholder back and get "butterfingers" to replace it while the incident is fresh in his mind. Ask them about the remote key, and if, as Traturn says they are only "required" to provide you with one, negotiate the price with them - hard. I would think that if the salesman promised you a second remote key when you bought the car, you should hold his feet to the fire until he coughs it up or at least cooperates in programming a replacement - as being a "condition of the sale". You might also contact one of our sponsors, or a mail-order supplier like www.irontoad.com (a Pennsylvania Dealer) for any needed parts.

That scheduled maintenance should have been handled by the dealer as well. Maybe it wasn't specifically required, but it's a pretty lousy business practice to take 22 large from someone and then remind him 2 weeks later he needs to return (and pay for) a scheduled service. What were they thinking ?

I'm sure you are documenting all of this, because at some point you are probably going to have to go to Lexus to get this resolved. Meanwhile, keep your cool, but plan on visiting another dealer when you reach the major service intervals. Your dealer may be well-intentioned, but Ringling Bros. doesn't have a collection of clowns like this! I'd be reluctant to leave my baby with them, even for an oil change.

Hang in there!

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-29-04 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 06:22 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

HarrierAWD - actually, this repo thread is kind of interesting.
Since the keys have coded transponders in them, how would you repo an RX? Lexus must have thought of this and built something into the car... can they make a valet key with a special code that always works, or would they reproduce one for the car based on manufacturing data?
Looks like I misread the original post. He got a remote key and a valet key. So never mind about the repo.

Yes, they have to reproduce a key based on the manuf. data. The car won't start unless the transponder code matches the one in the ECM.

Another way to repo an AWD RX is to use a flatbed truck. Since it takes about 3 minutes to slowly drag the RX up the flatbed, it is not desireable for repo. FWD would be easier. Just lift the two front wheels and run.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 07-29-04 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Keys - how many come w/ the car?