RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-04, 08:51 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 308 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Starting problems

I have a problem on my 99 RX300 (70,000 miles) with the car stalling when starting or when taking off from a cold start. The dealer diagnosed the problem as an air handler motor/valve assembly and charged $600 to replace it. Anybody have a similar experience and does this repair sound right - the car is still behaving a little strange (different - I think they increased the idle speed also) but the problem wasn't consistent so I may have to wait a day or so to reproduce it.

Thanks

Last edited by sktn77a; 08-01-04 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 10:30 PM
pilsun10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

hey sktn77a,

I'm experiencing the same problems also. I just purchased a used 1999 RX300 at 67k miles and i recently am experiencing stalls immediately after turning the ignition. Than it repeats this cycle until I press the gas which seems to stablize the engine. I've asked around and am advised by Kragen and also in the web to clean the idle control valve, or replace the fuel filter, or even just start using fuel injection cleaner. For now, I started using the fuel injection cleaner. I will let you know how this works after several days. Please keep me posted on your end. I would hate to spend $600 for the service you got done.

Later
Old 08-06-04, 04:29 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Angry

Well, it wasn't the air handler assembly - $600 down the crapper!!! Now they changed the throttle position sensor ($200) and this time (!) "this will definitely cure it" (that's what they said last time - Johnson Lexus, Raleigh).

Wish me luck 'cause I'm running out of money! Oh, and guess what - a crack has mysteriously appeared in the exhaust down tube (header?). Gee, I wonder if this happened when they were unnecessarily replacing those other parts?

Last edited by sktn77a; 08-06-04 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-06-04, 10:46 PM
pilsun10
Driver School Candidate

Damn, $600 down the drain... I feel for you.
Keep me posted on your trottle sensor job.
It been 2 days since I put in a bottle of Chrevon's fuel injector cleaner and in addition, i been looking around this forum and saw some suggestions to change the PVC value for idle problems. It's been couple days and no stalls yet. However, couple times, my lexus sounded like it was going to stall. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, is your lexus' engine sluggish at all? Your lexus seems to be the same age/miles as mine. What other maintenance things have you done that seems to help?
Old 08-18-04, 07:47 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Well, $800 later the starting problem is gone but I'm not convinced they diagnosed it correctly - sounds like "well, then, let's try this and see if that fixes it?". I have noticed that the engine pings under acceleration (no different after the work was done). Any ideas what this may be?
Old 08-23-04, 09:57 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

Now the "Check Engine Light" has come on! I'm beginning to loose all confidence in LExus/Toyota products and their dealers.......................... (yes, this car has been maintained by-the-book, from new).
Old 09-04-04, 02:21 PM
dcymbor
Driver School Candidate

Had a similar prob with my 2001 rx with 71000. It was intermittent. Sometimes it would stall from a cold start other times only after being warmed up. Sometimes it didn't stall at all. Finally took it to the dealer (Riverside Lexus - So CAL) and they replaced the "idle air control" . Cost was 292.03 but was covered under extended warranty. So far the problem hasn't returned.

Dave
Old 09-04-04, 02:58 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by sktn77a
Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

Now the "Check Engine Light" has come on! I'm beginning to loose all confidence in LExus/Toyota products and their dealers.......................... (yes, this car has been maintained by-the-book, from new).
Let's see. You have one problem with your 5-year-old Lexus, and now you "lose all confidence in Lexus/Toyota???"

I used to have like one or two problems per month with GM product. That's why I'm a Lexus owner now. Buy a Cadillac next time, you'll see.
Old 09-07-04, 11:58 AM
mdubb
Driver School Candidate

Default Turn key... engine won't catch

I was wondering if any of you can help me with this:

When I try to start my 99 RX300, the engine cranks but won't catch unless I step on the gas. This only happens periodically and it seems to mostly happen in the daytime when parked in the sun. I recently had a tune-up done and had the O2 sensors replaced. Any ideas on what could possibly be wrong? There is no check engine light on. It just does this once in a while.
Old 09-07-04, 02:10 PM
mek88
Driver School Candidate

Clean or replace your IACV (idle air control valve).
It just happened to my 99 RX300AWD with over 110k miles.

Email: mek88@yahoo.com
Los Angeles
Old 09-10-04, 09:36 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the IAC makes sense. Does it ever happen when parked in the shade or on a colder morning? Out of curiousity does your car stall out if left idling for a little while?

Free iPod
Old 09-12-04, 04:45 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Fuel injection cleaner

How often do you think fuel injection cleaner should be used to prevent the engine from stalling. I have a 99 RX300 with 50,000 miles on it and I was wondering if I should start using fuel injection cleaner now to prevent my engine from stalling in the future.
Old 09-17-04, 11:49 PM
pilsun10
Driver School Candidate

Default Where is the idle control valve?

Guys, I'm having the same problem. I have a 99 RX300 with 70kmiles and it stalls after ignition periodically. Where is the Idle control valve and where I can buy it? Is there any past postings with instructions? Please help.
Old 09-18-04, 12:43 AM
pilsun10
Driver School Candidate

Default stall after ignition

after couple trials with fuel injection cleaner, my 99 RX300 still stalls after ignition periodically.
i been researching more forums and everyone talks about either replacing or cleaning the idle control valve. does anyone have a pic and instructions on how to replace one?

Thanks
Old 09-18-04, 10:04 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Fuel injection cleaner

Originally posted by vinster29
How often do you think fuel injection cleaner should be used to prevent the engine from stalling. I have a 99 RX300 with 50,000 miles on it and I was wondering if I should start using fuel injection cleaner now to prevent my engine from stalling in the future.
Fuel injectors most likely have nothing to do with the problem. If they were clogged, you'd have driveability issues whenever you step on the gas. With today's clean gas and fuel filter, I doubt that we ever need to use fuel injector cleaner. Those STP commercials always say to pour one in at every oil change. "It's basic car maintenance." I never used it, so my 36K-mile RX300 should be undriveable by now. Well, it runs fine.

One possibility is clogged fuel filter.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 09-18-04 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Starting problems