RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

60K Oil change on a 2000, AWD RX300

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-04, 10:00 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60K Oil change on a 2000, AWD RX300

Any tips?
Stuff I should know before handing it in?
Old 08-18-04, 07:16 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get ready to handle over the money
JPI
Old 08-18-04, 08:08 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Very funny . How much money?
Old 08-18-04, 08:54 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

It would run around $500 + they will try to sell you all kind of extra stuffs. I would get a break down version of the 60k, it would be a lot cheaper.
JPI
Old 08-20-04, 08:35 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Question 60K Maintenance

Are you going in for the 60K scheduled maintenance or just oil change? The oil change is just a regular oil change, so it should be about $30, or whatever a dealership charges now (I change my own oil). If you're talking 60K maintenance... BOOM !!! It's $1500 at dealership.

I had mine done about half a year ago and it goes with a lot of things, but it's still $1500 of BOOM !!!!

If I remember correctly it was:

Oil Change (include filter of course)
Transmission fluid
Differential fluid
Brake fluid
Check brakes
Timing belt
Accessory belts
Spark plugs (which is a b-itch on the RX to change)

There may be one or two more things of minor importance, and most were just check this and check that, which is just visual and who knows what they do.

There is no external fuel filter on the RX, just an internal one built into the pump inside the fuel tank. Supposedly never needs changing.
Old 08-20-04, 09:16 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 60K Maintenance

Originally posted by mhc0725
Are you going in for the 60K scheduled maintenance or just oil change? The oil change is just a regular oil change, so it should be about $30, or whatever a dealership charges now (I change my own oil). If you're talking 60K maintenance... BOOM !!! It's $1500 at dealership.

I had mine done about half a year ago and it goes with a lot of things, but it's still $1500 of BOOM !!!!

If I remember correctly it was:

Oil Change (include filter of course)
Transmission fluid
Differential fluid
Brake fluid
Check brakes
Timing belt
Accessory belts
Spark plugs (which is a b-itch on the RX to change)

There may be one or two more things of minor importance, and most were just check this and check that, which is just visual and who knows what they do.

There is no external fuel filter on the RX, just an internal one built into the pump inside the fuel tank. Supposedly never needs changing.
60k Service doesn't need timing belt, water pump and spark plugs change until 90k miles. Please keep this in mind.
JPI
Old 08-21-04, 03:00 AM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Keep us updated... i remeber i was charged almost $400 for the damn 30k service... The 60k shouldnt be that much different i hope...
Old 08-21-04, 08:23 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

60K service is usually around $300 to $400 at the dealer. You should know what services you want performed before going in and don't let them add a bunch of unnecessary stuff not required by Lexus. Remember, your service advisor is a salesman selling services and if he can get you to buy $1500 in services when you really only need $300, he will. I paid just a little over $100 for my 30K and 60K service at an independent shop, performing everything listed in the owners manual and using Quaker State synthetic blend oil.
Old 08-21-04, 08:36 AM
Traturn
Driver

Remember all dealers have different service schedules based on location/climate. A 60k in Florida could be different than a 60k in Minnesota. Just have the advisor clearly tell you what you're in for.
Old 08-21-04, 12:31 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

A 60k in Florida is the same as a 60k in Minnesota. Check your Lexus manual. If you don't believe that call the 800 #. Some service advisors like to add unnecessary items due to climate, pollen, wind or whatever else they can get you to believe. But again your advisor is a salesman, there to sell services.

Last edited by mikey00; 08-21-04 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-21-04, 01:48 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Traturn
Remember all dealers have different service schedules based on location/climate. A 60k in Florida could be different than a 60k in Minnesota. Just have the advisor clearly tell you what you're in for.
I agree with Traturn, different climates and locations can affect different parts of your lexus. Definitely have the advisor give you a clear listing of what is gonna be done before going ahead and handing over an arm or a leg...
Old 08-23-04, 09:45 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

Yep, they'll charge you as much as the climate will bear. Here in NC, I paid $800 for mine and they didn't the extra requirements for the 4WD
Old 08-23-04, 11:05 AM
Traturn
Driver

What Lexus 'suggests' and what retailers actualy do can be two different things. Just because Lexus says Iridium plugs warrant replacement at 90k miles, doesnt mean dealers wont change them as part of a 60k service. Each Retailer will have its own "Maintainance Schedule", with pricing and labor calculated to make parts + labor = your price. Some stores could do belts + plugs + pcv at 60k, while other stores would work it like a 2nd 30k service. It really is in the hands of the individual dealership more than you may like to believe.

That being said, What Lexus suggests, the Dealer suggests, and what you personaly trust as being right will rarely match up completely. An honest technician would decline replacing a belt or an air filter at the time of a major service if it was new. Many however would just put new parts on and toss barly-used parts, because he isnt going to get paid for it if he doesnt do the service. Flat rate is the devil.

Make sure you get a complete breakdown of what the 60k entails, and a quote up front.
Old 08-26-04, 06:56 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default Timing Belt Change

The owners manual on our 1999 RX300 does not say the timing belt should be changed at 90,000 miles. It says to check the timing belt, nothing about change it.
My 99 RX has over 86,000 miles on it now and I WILL have the timing belt changed even though it only says to CHECK it, along with replacing the iridium spark plugs and other listed maintenance services.

GCrim21
Old 08-30-04, 06:57 AM
Traturn
Driver

It says to check the timing belt
in a flat-rate world, 'check the timing belt' means open the hood and look for a timing belt sticker. If theres no sticker and the mileage is high, tech tries to sell said job. Its most likely not included or part of a dealership's 90k service. You also need a tech who actauly can make money on a t-belt job to try to sell it to you.

If the tech sucks, and can't do a timing belt job in the time the dealership charges "Inspected timing belt, appears fine at this time, check next service" If the tech is good and can make an hour or so, you'll see "Inspected timing belt, reccomend replacing timing belt and water pump, $595 parts and labor" (or whatever)

flat rate sucks, imo.

Reason few retailers will 'package' a T-belt / waterpump job in their advertised 90k service is just that. Advertising. People who shop around (and most people do) are going to go to a dealer who advertises a $500 90k service (which is just a duplication of the 30k, say) versus one who advertises a 90k service at $1,000 even tho it 'includes' a T-belt / waterpump job.

Quick Reply: 60K Oil change on a 2000, AWD RX300