RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 2002 Naviagation System installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 09:54 AM
ahmadaea
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RX300 2002 Naviagation System installation

Hi all,
My car doesn't have navigation system. I found used OEM touch screen navigation system and bought. I'm trying to install it but doesn't seem to be straight forward.
I took it to the local dealer but they said that they didn't sell the car with this option and they can't install it!

I tried to install it myself. The problems that the wires aren't compatible. The dealer assures me that there is no other wire but the one installed in my car!!!

Anyone can help or guide me to a place to get help by email? (even paid help is appreciated). Any books that explains the installation?
Thanx
Old 08-30-04, 09:57 AM
ahmadaea
Driver School Candidate

By the way, I'm currently outside US. That's why I'm looking for email/book help.

thanx
Old 08-30-04, 08:44 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll take a genuis to install the complete OEM navigation system. It's not like installing a woofer.

AFAIK, you'll need to install the Navi unit in the dash, the Navi DVD unit in the trunk, the antenna in the roof (nobody knows where it is), and some sensors that monitor wheel speed and direction.....

You are better off with a portable Garmin GPS instead. The new model is actually decent.
Old 09-01-04, 01:58 AM
ahmadaea
Driver School Candidate

Hi and many thanx for your reply!

I have already taken some steps and i'm glad to tell you that I found the antenna (it's behinde the control console)!

Anyway, my main problem is the wiring. I have some wires already from the DVD place all the way to the dash where the system is installed. The problem is that the wire doesn't match the plugs in the DVD (looks that I need some connector between the two). Also, the navigation system has four plugs at the back but I have no wires that goes in! When I went to the dealer he told me that there's no wires but the one I have! I should him the four plugs (in his spare parts book) and asked him which wires go there! He couldn't answer me!!

Could someone check the system in his car and see whether there's connection peice between the DVD and the wire? Or does the wire goes directly go to the DVD (that would mean that the wires I have are not the correct ones)

Thanx again,
Old 09-01-04, 05:31 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're willing to pay for it, you can access the service manual over the Internet.
http://techinfo.lexus.com
Cost is $10 for one calendar day (ending at midnight Pacific Time) or $50 for a month.
It's cut up into lots of little PDF files that are hyperlinked. You won't be able to download the whole manual, but you might be able to find what you need. You can download and save the PDF's, if cerain ones are helpful.
Old 09-01-04, 01:51 PM
ahmadaea
Driver School Candidate

Many thanx. I'll check that tomorrow. I'm getting ready to go to bed!
Old 09-01-04, 08:19 PM
ganglandstyle
Driver School Candidate

ahmadaea,
Are we now to understand that all 2001-2003 RX300 vehicles had the GPS antenna installed whether or not they had navigation systems installed? This is interesting!!
I'm putting in a VCommand voice navigation system and this would be helpful. Also, where is the OEM navigation box located? I don't see where there is enough room around the spare tire.

A couple of friends have the VCommand product and I picked up one on ebay for a good price--the same database as Lexus, etc., it does not have a screen, but the voice recognition is excellent.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-04, 01:10 AM
ahmadaea
Driver School Candidate

Hi and sorry if I misled you!
Only the wiring and the CD changer are common between the two (with and without navigation)! All the rest need to be purchased (i.e. DVD navigation box, Navigation screen, and GPS antenna).

Right behind the control console there is a wiring box. The antenna is installed right behind it. I haven’t installed it yet but I saw that in the repair manual which doesn’t give much of help except the location of the parts!

The navigation box is located to the right of the spare tire. There’re two similar black plastic box tto the right and to the left (were put to fill th space). You will need to remove the one to the right. The DVD will be installed in that place. Once you remove that box you will see the wiring I’m talking about!

Regards,