RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Did anybody consider the Infiniti FX

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 12:27 PM
Endless_W
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anybody consider the Infiniti FX

Still on the fence... A friend asked me other day why I had not considered the Infiniti FX in my quest. I didn't really have an answer, besides the 'it looks funny'. He laughed, said the RX looked funny too. So anyway, if any of you were thinking about the FX but ended up with the RX I would be curious as to why. Price isn't all that much different from what I can see.
Thanks
Old 09-08-04, 12:58 PM
LexusRX330
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the FX35 before buying the RX330. The ride is too rough when compared to the RX. Might be fine for some sporty driving but not for a long daily commute to work.
Old 09-08-04, 03:48 PM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

I test-drove both of them about a year ago before buying my 330. The FX was okay, but it didn't have the same luxurious ride that the RX does, and I thought it looked funny. There wasn't as much space behind the second row of seats. I also don't think the gas mileage was quite as good in the FX.

Now that I'm seeing so many 330s on the road, and the rare FX, the look of the FX is growing on me, actually. I think the FX probably had faster acceleration.
Old 09-08-04, 04:51 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The FX wasn't out when I bought my RX300 two years ago. I did take a test drive recently. Didn't like the bone-jarring ride. And it looked like a toad.

So if I were in the market today, I wouldn't consider it.
Old 09-09-04, 02:13 PM
04RX330FL
Driver School Candidate

Default FX35

I brought an FX35home on a test drive and my wife told me to get that ugly thing out of the driveway. I liked the way it drove as I prefer the sporty handling and it looked distinct not ugly to me. But this was to be her vehicle not mine so back it went the next day and in an RX330 she went. She didn't rave about it either as she drove one on two occassions. She really liked the GX470 but I said look at the price and she backed off that. She's had her Crystal White RX330 with Premium Plus & 18's since 8/6 and she is in love with the thing. She really wanted a Sequoia but the lease numbers just weren't close to those of the RX so she was disappointed with having to settle until she took delivery of the RX. Good thing I do not have to hear about how she wanted the Sequoia for 4 years.
Old 09-09-04, 06:45 PM
johnnieliu
Driver

A year ago, my wife and I test drove both the FX35 and RX330. I thought the FX35's ride was frim but not harsh. Others have stated that as the springs loosen up, the ride on the FX softens. We we were not driving we were riding in the back seat. The ride from the back seat was much firmer, almost harsh. If this was MY vehicle, I would have bought the FX, but since it is her car, she picked the RX330. NAV on the RX is much better due to the touch screen.

JL
Old 09-09-04, 06:57 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, but the FX reminds me of a newer version of this:
Attached Thumbnails Did anybody consider the Infiniti FX-eagle83.jpg  
Old 09-10-04, 10:31 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

msilverIS .. nice one !

Old 09-10-04, 11:49 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

This is my perception of the FX. Note the Liquid Copper paint matches this fella very well.
Attached Thumbnails Did anybody consider the Infiniti FX-toad-n-fx.jpg  
Old 09-10-04, 11:59 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Got the same bloated look
Old 09-11-04, 01:04 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

I thought they look constipated.
Old 09-12-04, 03:04 PM
Endless_W
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies! I managed to take one out Saturday for a 1/2 hour test drive. It was fun, certainly felt like it had more 'go' than the RX330 we drove a while back. But didn't feel too planted on some of the bumpier back roads. That would get of fast I think. And yes it is has an um... unique? sense of style up close... Not sure if I would get used to that... Anyway, back to thinking the RX is the way to go...
Old 09-12-04, 06:43 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: Did anybody consider the Infiniti FX

i would of bought the FX if it were avaliable when i got my 300. Even when compared to a 330, i think the FX is a better choice. Got to give credit when its due.

Originally posted by Endless_W
Still on the fence... A friend asked me other day why I had not considered the Infiniti FX in my quest. I didn't really have an answer, besides the 'it looks funny'. He laughed, said the RX looked funny too. So anyway, if any of you were thinking about the FX but ended up with the RX I would be curious as to why. Price isn't all that much different from what I can see.
Thanks
Old 09-12-04, 09:40 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually liked the look of the FX exterior when it was first introduced. It was "different" and eye-catching, certainly, and there's something to be said for that. (My wife calls it "the PT Cruiser's cousin" and she does not mean that as a compliment.) The "eye-catching" thing has faded significantly for me though, admittedly.

That said, we DID consider it. Testdrove it a couple times. The main reasons we opted for the RX330 instead were simply:
(1) my wife thought the FX felt "cramped" inside and much smaller than it actually is,
(2) the interior in the FX is very cheap looking compared to the RX (plastic dash, cheap leather), and probably most importantly...
(3) I hate our (only) Infiniti dealership in town and knew the level of service would not compare.

Thrilled with our choice. Good thing, since that's what is sitting in my garage.
Old 09-13-04, 10:36 AM
jschutz
Driver School Candidate

We also tested the FX before buying the 330. We both thought the FX ride was "harsh," engine noise during acceleration too high, and it the interior is not as luxurious as the RX 330.

Quick Reply: Did anybody consider the Infiniti FX