RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

15K no transmission fluid change--void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 06:08 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by flipside909
[ A simple drain and refill will not get rid of the old exhausted fluid that's in the torque converter.
I think the theory is that changing 2 quarts at a time, more frequently, will cause the new fluid to mix with the old fluid (e.g., about 1/2 new fluid on first drain/refill, about 3/4 new fluid on 2nd drain/refill, about 7/8 new fluid at 3rd drain/refill, etc.)
Old 09-12-04, 08:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by bob2200
I think the theory is that changing 2 quarts at a time, more frequently, will cause the new fluid to mix with the old fluid (e.g., about 1/2 new fluid on first drain/refill, about 3/4 new fluid on 2nd drain/refill, about 7/8 new fluid at 3rd drain/refill, etc.)
that's excerising danger if you have fluid that's been burnt or worn down overtime.
Old 09-12-04, 08:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by mikey00
Your RX has lifetime fluid in it. Just check the owners manual or read the label on the dipstick. This is from Lexus/Toyota engineers who are more knowledgable on the subject than any of us here.
That's the case for "normal" driving conditions. We here in SoCal spend majority of our times running short trips around town or sitting in long periods of time in traffic. Those conditions put a toll on the ATF and it's viscosity. I wouldn't really trust the fluid being a "lifetime" fluid since it is petroleum based and it will eventually break down from the heat & stress. Your AT takes more than 4 quarts to completely fill and drain. This discussion is as close to the good ol' synthetic vs. conventional oil argument and the frequency of change. I'd rahter take the extra preventive maintenance to keep the smooth shift quality rather than be cheap risking the shift quality and longevity of the AT. There are that "frequency" of vehicles experiencing tranny failure or problems due to improper maintenance intervals. It's all up to the owner on how they take care of their cars. I've owned several Toyotas that have exceeded the 100k mark with no mechanical failures to date.

If you want good reference, check this:

http://yotarepair.com/ScheduledMaintenance.html

Last edited by flipside909; 09-12-04 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-12-04, 09:42 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tranny fluid works like hydraulic fluid. It'll last the life of the vehicle unless it got overheated a lot - such as towing a trailer or stop-n-go in hot climate.

I personally would do it every 60K, but again this is not necessary to maintain your warranty. (Read the manual and the tranny dipstick.) Also my factory tow package include a tranny cooler.

Do not flush the tranny, ever. Doing so will push debris where it shouldn't and damage your tranny. (Don't believe the AAMCO commercial.) If you want to get most of the old fluid out, just drain-n-refill twice. Measure the drained fluid so you don't have to guess how much to put back in.
Old 09-12-04, 10:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by HarrierAWD

Do not flush the tranny, ever. Doing so will push debris where it shouldn't and damage your tranny. (Don't believe the AAMCO commercial.) If you want to get most of the old fluid out, just drain-n-refill twice. Measure the drained fluid so you don't have to guess how much to put back in.
I think you are confusing older tranny flush methods of the past with newer methods today. Power flushes are simply draining the whole tranny of its fluid including whats in the torque converter. A simple drain and refill even doing it 2 times will not get the old ATF out. There are newer methods that safely flush out the tranny. I would never trust AAMCO to touch any Toyota tranny. And yes if you do prolong your tranny fluid changes to 60k, you will get debris build up and such that shouldn't even be there granted you maintain the fluid changes properly.
Old 09-13-04, 04:12 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use your RX as a taxi cab, tow, or some other harsh treatment other than just stop and go traffic in CA, you should change the fluid. The service advisor "salesman of services" likes to convince everyone that their driving habits require changing it. Remember, if you have the tow package and don't really tow often, you have a trans cooler and are ahead of the game. I would never flush my tranny. This only puts more of your money in the pocket of the service provider with no advantage to you.
Old 09-13-04, 08:54 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by flipside909
A simple drain and refill even doing it 2 times will not get the old ATF out.
I forgot to mention that one should drive the vehicle for a few miles before the 2nd fluid change. Thanks.
Old 09-13-04, 09:06 AM
Traturn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it might void my warranty
That a pretty good scare tactic to get some money out of you. Its right up there with an advisor trying to sell you a brake job by saying, "You dont drive with children in the car, do you?"

This is another example of how each Dealer has its own "Maintainance Schedule" and they just package as much stuff together as they can to make a good buck.

While the Lexus maintschedule may say "Inspect and correct or replace as necessary every 30k miles or 24 months" Any successful dealer will turn that in to "Replace every 15k miles or 12 months".

It doesnt matter what Lexus corp suggests or publishes, its up to the individual Dealership. Its the dealers job to be profitiable, and capitialize on the affluent clientel. Also keep in mind that if a Dealer is servicing your car since new, they are more or less 'liable' for the car (at least your CSI Score, heh), IE a customer would say, "Why did my tranny blow, you should have been changing the fluid over the last 3 years". Suffice to say, no dealer is going to leave $15.00 in parts and $100 in labor on the table just cause they're extra-honest and the maintsched says "inspect and correct as necessary every 30k/ 2 years"

Also note that its highly unlikely that a Dealer uses any different maintainace package for an ES, LX or RX. Just some different prices on the bottom line that you'll Authorize.

Also keep in mind that if you have 75,000 miles on your car, and bought it Used, even CPO'd - You may well have had a neglected or 'beaten on' vehicle. If the fluid isnt nice and red, definatly think about having a 'real' power flush done (~$200). And if the vehicle has been maintained at a Lexus facility, you can bank on the Tranny fluid having been drain/filled if any 15,000 interval service has been done.

A drain & fill is cheap preventative maintainance, if done correctly.

my .02
Old 09-13-04, 07:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
I forgot to mention that one should drive the vehicle for a few miles before the 2nd fluid change. Thanks.
That still wont get all the old fluid out. Thanks.
Old 09-13-04, 07:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Remember, if you have the tow package and don't really tow often, you have a trans cooler and are ahead of the game. I would never flush my tranny. This only puts more of your money in the pocket of the service provider with no advantage to you.
Just because you have a tow package and a tranny cooler doesn't automatically qualify you not to change your fluids. It's just like saying..let me put synthetic oil in my engine and never change the oil. It's the same type of analogy. That's fine you would never flush your tranny, and it's probable that you don't really own your cars past the 100k mark. When your tranny starts shifting rough, then that's when you'll be complaining. Preventive maintenance regardless of where you do it is a cheap investment in the world of regular maintenance. Piece of mind is worth it rather than shelling out $2k on a tranny rebuild due to lack of maintenance.
Old 09-13-04, 09:02 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default 4 quarts?

Actually, I think your owner's manual and maintenance schedule in the ClubLexus library say to check the transmission fluid every year or two and change it when it is no longer the original red color.

There have been recent threads advising not to do a flush, but rather drain and refill with Toyota trans fluid every year ot two. $200 is ridiculous for just a drain and refill and I'd do it myself instead of paying that much. It takes about 2 quarts, and just make sure to use the special Toyota fluid.
I thought the RX300 took 4 quarts of tranny fluid on a drain and refill not 2?
Old 09-13-04, 09:08 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

If you use your RX as a taxi cab, tow, or some other harsh treatment other than just stop and go traffic in CA, you should change the fluid. The service advisor "salesman of services" likes to convince everyone that their driving habits require changing it. Remember, if you have the tow package and don't really tow often, you have a trans cooler and are ahead of the game. I would never flush my tranny. This only puts more of your money in the pocket of the service provider with no advantage to you.
So if you have a towing package and tranny cooler how much is replaced on a tranny drain and fill? Can you tell my Toyota ATF just arrived
Old 09-13-04, 09:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Not at the frequency of 60k or even 30k. Let alone 2 minutes of driving.
Old 09-13-04, 09:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: 4 quarts?

Originally posted by toy4two
I thought the RX300 took 4 quarts of tranny fluid on a drain and refill not 2?
It actually takes more than 4 quarts of tranny fluid to entirely drain and refill it. It's more like 6-8 quarts including whats in the t/c.
Old 09-14-04, 03:55 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A drain and refill is 4 qts., because it leaves some in the t/c.

Quick Reply: 15K no transmission fluid change--void warranty?