RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Recommendation for Michelin Tires RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-04, 02:54 AM
dgbklexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks Everyone!

Thank everyone for the info. I have an appointment this Saturday and the dealer is bringing in both Cross Terrains and LTX M/S's for me to look at. Both sound like the right tire though it looks like many of you went with the CT's. Which would you say has a softer ride? Which is more quiet on the highway? Which looks more like a car tire verses a truck tire? This is the wife's everyday vehicle so I have to keep her happy.

Thanks!!!!!

David
Old 09-15-04, 04:32 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Two good choices, you can't go wrong . . .

Not having experience with the LTX, I can only say I would expect them to ride a little rougher because they are a light truck tire with a slightly stiffer sidewall. The Cross-Terrain, despite it's macho look was designed to be a SUV (passenger car) tire. Check out the owner's comments at Tire Rack, but remember, few if any of us have experience with both of the current models (Tammy being the exception).

When I put the CTs on, the first week or two they seemed to howl a bit on some types of pavement. I was a little disappointed because one of the selling points of the CT was that it was supposed to be quieter. Sometime within the first 30 days that noise disappeared (compared to a loaner car). I don't know why, but I suspect that I had to wear some of the mold flash off of the tread that was causing the noise. Once they were scuffed up a little, the noise gradually subsided. Say what you will about those old Goodyear Integrity's, they may have been cheap, spongy-handling, and offered very little in the way of stability and grip, but they were soft-riding and quiet.

A number of people have mentioned the tread wear rating. Based on the wear I experienced in 32,000 miles, I believe my CTs might well last over 60 to 70K. When I turned that car in had I not traded for an early RX 330 with larger wheels, I would have kept my CTs and have the new OEMs put on my old car. I think I would have come out ahead on tread wear, even spotting 28K on the swap.
Old 09-15-04, 04:38 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

First, qualifications: bought wifey one of the first RX300s in this area in 1998. Replaced those godawful Notegrity rim protectors with the CrossTerrains at around 25k. They were still on when we sold the RX last year with around 35k on the CTs. So, we had reasonable experience (tho, like most, can't compare to the LTX).

My (and wifey's) first impression way back when was that the Michelins were no less comfortable than the Goodyears and were at least as quiet, certainly not significantly noisier than the worn out Goodyears. Of course, it stands to reason that no tire will be equally quiet on all pavement types but the Michelins were quite good on what we have locally. Neither of us (and SHE is not a gearhead) found the ride to be worse and the performance parameters were all improved, to the point that SHE really didn't like driving the loaners from the dealer when her 300 was in for service, mostly because they were all shod with those useless Goodyears.

I think Lil4X's experience with treadlife is going to be a little atypical; I wouldn't have run ours more than another 5K miles at most, but it was still significantly better than the Goodyears. Not that I would have cared; the improvement in every performance category was more than worth the price difference!!

In short, a highly recommended tire, designed specifically for the now popular car based SUVs (pioneered by the Lexus RX300!!).
Old 09-17-04, 07:22 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Toyo 410's do have white lettering. you have to request them.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 09-17-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 09:35 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps Toyo makes two different versions, with or without white lettering. I saw the Toyo M410 tire at the Beijing Int'l Auto Show last June. There was no white lettering. Just the way I like it.

Can't find the M410 in Colorado. So I guess I'll have to special order them like you said. Wish CR would test Michelin CT soon so I can really compare them.
Attached Thumbnails Recommendation for Michelin Tires RX300-toyo-open-country-m410-small.jpg  

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 09-17-04 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-18-04, 01:31 PM
dgbklexus
Driver School Candidate

Smile Love My New Cross Terrains!

Thanks for all of the advise and comments!

I went with the 225/70/16 Michelin Cross Terrains on my 2001 RX300 and I love them. Low noise, and excellent handling on the highway. Seems like they react better to the turn of the steering wheel on lane changes and curves in comparison to the original Bridgstone Duellers. They did not have the monster truck tire look I was afraid of. Had the tires mounted black side out and the dealer used a black tire stain to cover the raises outline white letters on the inside.
In the Cleveland area Conrad's Total Car Car & Tire Center had the best all around deal. $154 each included mounting, stem, lifetime balancing, 2 year on site road hazard, lifetime flat repair, and lifetime rotation. I also got a free 4-wheel alignment and Michelin had a rebate program for a $50 gas car with the purchase of 4 tires.

Thanks Again Everyone!
Old 09-18-04, 02:53 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CT's or Toyo

Either go with Cross Terrain's or Toyo's. I have Cross Terrain's on a 1999 RX300 and have really like them. I also know someone who has Toyo's on a 2001 as well and they really like them too. I wasn't aware of Toyo's or I might have tried them. I WOULD NOT put 235's on it. Stick with 225's. You will get more 'roll' with 235's and also like poster's earlier pointed out, treadwear is not as much on 235's.

GCrim21
Old 09-18-04, 02:57 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Goodyear on ES300

My wife's ES300 has Goodyear Invicta Tires on it. I wouldn't recommend these tires for anything except for a dump truck. Messed up the ride of the car. If it wasn't for losing so much money, I would go purchase either some Toyo's or Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus for it.

GCrim21
Old 09-19-04, 04:55 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Go for the Toyo Proxes TPT's. The Goodyear invicta's are not a good tire at all. As far as the Toyo Open Country M-410.....they usually have one side with blackwalls & the other side white lettering......it's your choice Contact your Toyo dealer to varify as they are both available.
Old 09-20-04, 05:23 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Default yokohama geolandar d-051

i replaced my integrities with the Yokos...UNBELIEVEABLE tire and what a diff...i have put 30k miles on them and there's still plenty of tread...i live in Upstate, NY and the tires were like glue in the winter snow...handling is tight and steady...rain, slush -- no slippage whatsoever...road noise is non-existant...the price is sooooo low compared to the Cross Terrains...I bought thru Tire Rack for under $80 a tire...There is NOOOOO doubt that i would buy another set...There's not much info avail on the Geolandar, but they are definitely a great tire...and as for looks, the sidewall is eye-catching too...it comes with raised white lettering -- but i mounted with the lettering inside...like the blackwall look better...enjoy...
Old 09-20-04, 02:10 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Very wise choice rh!
Old 09-25-04, 04:49 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Michelin = French

Aren't Michelins made in France or a French owned company. I would think twice before supporting a company that does not support the U.S.
Old 09-25-04, 06:35 PM
jassurafs
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: yokohama geolandar d-051

Originally posted by rhack1
i replaced my integrities with the Yokos...UNBELIEVEABLE tire and what a diff...i have put 30k miles on them and there's still plenty of tread...i live in Upstate, NY and the tires were like glue in the winter snow...handling is tight and steady...rain, slush -- no slippage whatsoever...road noise is non-existant...the price is sooooo low compared to the Cross Terrains...I bought thru Tire Rack for under $80 a tire...There is NOOOOO doubt that i would buy another set...There's not much info avail on the Geolandar, but they are definitely a great tire...and as for looks, the sidewall is eye-catching too...it comes with raised white lettering -- but i mounted with the lettering inside...like the blackwall look better...enjoy...
I would also agree with RH, Yokos are one of the finest tires. I put on about 5000 Miles so far since I replaced the Duellers with my Yokos. I should say, they rock. One of the best tires with almost no noise. With a comfortable and secure ride even in the occassional rain that we had in the Midwest, I am confident that these tires will not let me down in Snow. Above all, Yokos are lot cheaper than CT and I would agree with all the people who gave great reviews at TireRack.
Old 09-28-04, 07:01 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Talking Cut your ears off.

Here's the Yoko & Toyo. Bet they could make some bad music.
Pics

http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/g...-s/yokp-28928/
http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/t...res/toyt-5291/
Old 09-29-04, 11:19 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Question

So which tire have you decided on?? The Toyo's & Yoko's are the 2 best you can choose so it's a tough call......I think if I were buying them the Yoko's would have a slight lead but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Michelin Tires RX300