RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Any How-to sites for changing the Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 10:49 AM
salimshah

Received 1,084 Likes on 976 Posts

I work with American engineers and although not born here in USA, would call myself an American engineer too. As far as enginuity is concerned we are a tough crowd to beat. ... I did not take the comment personally but had to say something in defence.

If you study the root cause of the problem you will conclude that the problem is due to transverse mounted engine, which can be traced back to front wheel drive.

The next factor is the engine bay size (keeping in mind the cabin and overall size). Sound insulation etc and lot more keep craming space near the firwall.

Serviceability is always kept in mind. If the part is not easy to access, then you try to increase the life. Next spark plugs are now 100k without change. One also tries to time the change with other replacement parts. Change plugs with timing belt change etc ... so that the user shares cost of labor.

In my early years of engineering, I was tought that engineer must always build things that are cost effective. I am not down playing serviceability, but simply pointing out that ease of serviceablity is just another factor and has to be accounted for with a bigger picture in mind.

Salim
Old 02-03-07, 03:43 PM
LC1338
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salim,

So, have you changed your T-belt on your RX yet? If so, did you take it to the shop or do it yourself?

I am tempted to do it myself but I am worried that half way through it I'll be cussing myself out for not just taking it to the Toyota dealer. I've never done a timing belt replacement but I've done many other repairs including a transmission install on a camry. I also have the Haynes and factory service manuals (for the ES which has practically the same engine).
Old 02-03-07, 10:23 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

is the RX engine interference or non-interferece? I will just drive till it breaks if the only downside is I need to get a tow.
Old 02-04-07, 12:27 AM
salimshah

Received 1,084 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by LC1338
Salim,

So, have you changed your T-belt on your RX yet? If so, did you take it to the shop or do it yourself?

I am tempted to do it myself but I am worried that half way through it I'll be cussing myself out for not just taking it to the Toyota dealer. I've never done a timing belt replacement but I've done many other repairs including a transmission install on a camry. I also have the Haynes and factory service manuals (for the ES which has practically the same engine).
I took it to the dealer. After replacing T belt on transverse mounted Accord, I swore I would not replace the belt on a transverse engine. RX being V6 would be harder. The procedure has one or two critical steps but not too hard. I had a hard time getting my large hands in tight places.

Salim
Old 02-05-07, 08:08 PM
LC1338
Driver School Candidate

is the RX engine interference or non-interferece?
I was told by a master Toyota technician that our V6 engine is a non-interference type. If the T-belt breaks it will leave you stranded but should not hurt anything.