RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Reservoir for Rear Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 05:32 AM
Larry99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reservoir for Rear Wiper

Where is the H2O reservoir for the rear window wiper? Is it plumbed from the front reservoir under the hood or does it have a separate one. Mine is not squirting water out it. Don't know if the pump is bad, a rear reservoir is empty (front if full) or if nozzles are plugged (doubt it, would at least leak).
Old 09-21-04, 06:40 AM
rl9905
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Reservoir for Rear Wiper

Originally posted by Larry99
Where is the H2O reservoir for the rear window wiper? Is it plumbed from the front reservoir under the hood or does it have a separate one. Mine is not squirting water out it. Don't know if the pump is bad, a rear reservoir is empty (front if full) or if nozzles are plugged (doubt it, would at least leak).
I believe it both shares the same reservoir. If you hear a motor running then maybe it's clog. Try sticking a pin into the nozzles. I thought mine where broken too until I've found out that I have accidently clog it by waxing my car.

Good Luck
Old 09-21-04, 07:29 AM
Larry99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Reservoir for Rear Wiper

Originally posted by rl9905
I believe it both shares the same reservoir. If you hear a motor running then maybe it's clog. Try sticking a pin into the nozzles. I thought mine where broken too until I've found out that I have accidently clog it by waxing my car.

Good Luck
That's what I feared. Do not hear a motor running. Need to clean out the nozzles. May also have wax in it. When I activate the rear washer, hear nothing, but will get a small back pressure squirt of water from right front nozzle. So maybe the motor is running, just Lexus quite!
Old 09-21-04, 10:09 PM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

Larry:

With Texas heat, the pipe may have only vapors as well. Give the pump some time to fill the line.

Salim
Old 09-22-04, 02:07 AM
rl9905
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, when I fill up my Windshield Wiper Liquid, It works instantly once they have been filled up. I believe what happen in your case is that with the Texas heat, Most of the Windshield wiper liquid have evaporated and it left behind sediments, which have clog your system.
Old 09-22-04, 05:32 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Beware of cheap solvents!

I bought a pre-mixed washer fluid at a discount store some years ago and used it in my Opel. The stuff produced corrosion on my washer nozzles within a few weeks that looked like a blue-tinged salt. It completely clogged them at least once a month, requiring that the nozzles be cleaned. Fortunately that car had a pedal that pumped the washer fluid so there was no motor or pump shaft to corrode, otherwise I might have had further problems. Only draining the washer tank completely, a thorough system flush with clear water, and repeated applications of a fine needle to the jets eventually solved the problem after about a year.

Since then I have stuck with a GM product, "Optikleen" (GM Part No. 1051515), a washer fluid additive available from your nearest GM parts counter. It's not expensive, considering a bottle makes about a gallon of mix in this temperate climate - a stronger solution is needed for greater anti-freeze protection elsewhere. Best of all, it is a good solvent, dries streak-free, doesn't attack the paint, and doesn't clog.

My Lexus dealer keeps the RX topped up, so I'm not familiar with the product he uses, but it seems to work reasonably well with no problems.
Old 09-22-04, 02:34 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Optikleen sux

Originally posted by Lil4X
Since then I have stuck with a GM product, "Optikleen" (GM Part No. 1051515), a washer fluid additive available from your nearest GM parts counter. It's not expensive, considering a bottle makes about a gallon of mix in this temperate climate - a stronger solution is needed for greater anti-freeze protection elsewhere. Best of all, it is a good solvent, dries streak-free, doesn't attack the paint, and doesn't clog.
You've got to be kidding me about Optikleen. It leaves tons of hazy residue on the windshield (where the wipers don't cover.) Before I took my GM PoS to the dealer for service, I always topped off my windshield fluid myself so they can't put Optikleen in it.

The Target and Walmart brands work fine, and cheap too. They don't re-freeze even at minus 11F (had that temp last winter.) For those who live in the sunny belt, dilute with 50% water to save even more.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 09-22-04 at 03:52 PM.