RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Issues during cold start

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 03:15 PM
Handogen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues during cold start

Has anybody experienced problems with the engine turning over on a cold start? I have a 99RX300 AWD. When I turn the ignition to start, it clicks, then does nothing. I try it once or twice more, then it turns over and starts. It sounds and feels like the battery is strong, and the engine is running normally, but perhaps the starter is going out.

Is this something pretty easy to replace that anybody here has already done? Or does it sound like something else may be wrong?

Thanks,
Hando
Old 09-22-04, 03:42 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, the sudden chill we get in Colorado could do wonders to cars.... I was sweating like a pig on Monday, freezing like cold turkey on Tuesday....

Could be the starter. It's more likely that the battery is getting weak.

During the first few tries, you put a load on the battery which helps it warm up. A warm battery has more "juice." Therefore you were able to start the engine later on.

Take it to your mechanic to do a battery load test. Or try this next cold morning: turn on the headlights for about 20 seconds (warm up the battery,) turn off, then start the engine. If it starts on the first try, the battery is getting weak.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 09-22-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-22-04, 04:04 PM
Handogen
Driver

Yeah you are probably right on that. I thought perhaps if I waited a few seconds after turning it to the ON position, then turning it to start, it worked fine, but wasn't 100% sure. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what happens.

Take care,
Hando
Old 09-28-04, 08:30 AM
Handogen
Driver

Well now my car wont start at all. I hear something from the engine winding up (fan? starter?), but the engine wont turn over. There's a slight rattling going on so perhaps a connection somewhere is broken) I'm looking into different shops in the Thornton/Northglenn area (Denver, CO) right now. I'm not sure if this is something that I need to take to a Toyota or Lexus Dealer or not. I understand most shops have diagnostics machines that work for most cars.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks again,
Hando
Old 09-28-04, 09:25 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dead battery.

You can get a new battery just about anywhere. I'd recommend a Toyota battery, since yours lasted 5 years. You can go to a Toyota dealer for that. Lexus (Kuni and Stevinson) dealers are too far from you.
Old 09-28-04, 09:43 AM
Handogen
Driver

I doubt it's a dead battery as all my lights are bright, the stereo works fine, as well as everything else. Plus the fact that something is definitely winding up when I try and start it. I could try another battery but I really doubt this is the problem. I'll find out from the mechanic tomorrow, I'm sure. And I'll let you all know the verdict.

thanks again,
Hando
Old 09-29-04, 12:37 AM
rl9905
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Handogen
I doubt it's a dead battery as all my lights are bright, the stereo works fine, as well as everything else. Plus the fact that something is definitely winding up when I try and start it. I could try another battery but I really doubt this is the problem. I'll find out from the mechanic tomorrow, I'm sure. And I'll let you all know the verdict.

thanks again,
Hando
I have a 2000 RX300 and I had the same problem just like you. My car sometimes wont start and all it does is produce these clicks when i first start the car. Not only that my clock kept on resetting to 12:00am. So about three weeks ago I went out and bought a new battery. Energizer brand from Pepboys for about $79. Ever since then my car stop clicking, the clock stop resetting and it starts up just fine. Maybe you should try changing your battery. Oh yea For your information, I went to the Lexus dealer and they said a new battery from Lexus cost $160

Last edited by rl9905; 09-29-04 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 01:41 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Handogen

thanks again,
Hando
My father had the same problem with his 99 RX. It definitely wasn't the battery but the car just wouldn't turn over. I tried it and found if I gave it a little gas like you would a car with a carburetor it would turn over. Clogged fuel injectors? To my knowledge it hasn't happened since (I'll have to ask my father) but I told him to mention it to the dealer next time he brought in the RX for service since it's still under warranty.
Old 09-30-04, 01:19 PM
jcg
Rookie

Default Battery

If your RX is 5 years old and you live with cold weather I'd just replace the battery. If it's not the battery right now causing your starting problem, it will be pretty soon so beat it to the punch.

They are not that expensive -- you'll be due for one pretty soon -- it might fix your problem.