RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

will those high voltage and ground wire kits help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-04, 09:36 AM
smokedawgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will those high voltage and ground wire kits help?

i jsut noticed they sold a high voltage and ground wire kits for my rx...hows will those help my car??? what are the benefits of putting them in? and is it worth it to anyone?
Old 09-25-04, 08:19 PM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a SUN (Japan) Hyper Grounding Kit ($115.00US) on my wife's 2003 IS (E-Shift) and was wonderfully surprised on how it improved the auto & e-shifting. The engine runs much smoother and starts just marginally faster/easier. Wifey's not into cars but commented how much better the car ran; so I think some of the benefits are real. I'm not yet sure about some of the other benefits the marketing info offers (brighter lights, better audio sound, better MPG, etc); even if those don't pan out, I'm still 125% satisfied.

I plan to order a kit for my 2001 RX SilverSport immediately, and hope it, too, solves that stupid, weird, transmission shifting that many of us experience at various times. I'll report back after I do the installation.

Just for reference, take a look at the whimpy 14-12 ga. wires used to ground the engine to each side of the engine bay. The Grounding Kit uses something like a 4 ga. CABLE at 6 locations, including the battery negative post.
Old 09-27-04, 08:27 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

just curious, how do you gonna determine where to run the ground wires? i was looking into running a grounding kit as well...lemme know how this turns out for ya...inc'l pics

Originally posted by AgSport
I just installed a SUN (Japan) Hyper Grounding Kit ($115.00US) on my wife's 2003 IS (E-Shift) and was wonderfully surprised on how it improved the auto & e-shifting. The engine runs much smoother and starts just marginally faster/easier. Wifey's not into cars but commented how much better the car ran; so I think some of the benefits are real. I'm not yet sure about some of the other benefits the marketing info offers (brighter lights, better audio sound, better MPG, etc); even if those don't pan out, I'm still 125% satisfied.

I plan to order a kit for my 2001 RX SilverSport immediately, and hope it, too, solves that stupid, weird, transmission shifting that many of us experience at various times. I'll report back after I do the installation.

Just for reference, take a look at the whimpy 14-12 ga. wires used to ground the engine to each side of the engine bay. The Grounding Kit uses something like a 4 ga. CABLE at 6 locations, including the battery negative post.
Old 09-27-04, 12:18 PM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

The grounding kits basically supply 5-8 pieces of varying lengths of (grounding) cable w/ terminal ends ranging from simple aluminum to polished stainless and even gold-plated. Also included are hardware parts such as negative battery post adapter, washers, bolt(s), etc. You need to connect the cables in a daisy-chain from the negative battery to the left & right side of the engine bay (each fender), top and bottom end of the engine (intake manifold & lower engine mounting bracket or something like that) and you're set. It's very easy to install if you layout the cables carefully and find the right bolts that are already there to use.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours to do it all and that's even after trying a couple different combos of layout. A model car-specific kit will provide you cables that are pre-cut to fit in locations identified in their instructions; I didn't care for most of those layouts, so I opted for the universal kit. I think my layout looks a lot less obvious and cleaner.

Good news: I attended the Northern California EOS v3 (End of Summer, version 3) meet yesterday and had plenty of opportunities to check out other installs. And best of all, I won one of the raffle items which was a Daizen Sport Tuning Grounding Kit from TM Engineering (a Southern California Tuner). They don't have a RX-specific kit, but are interested in having me work w/ them to either design one or use the universal kit and provide details on mounting points, etc. Our current plan is for me to visit them in early Nov. to do an install, etc. However, I may opt to have them send a kit to me and I can work out the details & document the layout. I'll report more later w/ pix.