RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Scared of the RX300 from ya'lls posts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 04:24 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by MellonC00
As for RX300's, the only thing that bothers me now is the wind noise and lack of power. If you can, go with the front wheel drive. I just came back from a 250 mile highway trip and only got 20.5 mpg. With my old FWD rx300 (Yes, I had another RX) I got 23 mpg on the highway. all that drag from 4wd stuff and weight causes you to lose mpg and make the car slower.

Wind noise is a concern because, my buddy has the ML350 which has no wind noise what so ever (but it does have a whole bunch of other problems). The comparison is like night and day. To this day, I don't know why all other cars in the Lexus line has no wind noise but this one does. I drove the RX330 and it is a lot better than the 300 but still doesn't approach the ML level.
My 2002 RX300 AWD gets 24 mpg on pure highway trip, even in the mountains. Maybe the Silversport got sticky tires. True, FWD does get better gas mileage, but some people need AWD (like me.)

The wind noise is there because there's no other sound in the RX300 - no engine hum, no tranny whine, no road noise (except on coarse surface,) no exhaust rumble, nothing! So all you can hear is the wind. Not sure about the ML350's decibel rating, but I'm sure the two are comparable.
Old 10-05-04, 04:40 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

You have got to be kidding me. You live in Colorado (I assume higher elavation) and get 24mpg. How fast do you drive? 65 mph? In L.A. the "unofficial" speed limit is between 75 and 80. Typically, when I drive long distance, I try to keep it around 75 and am very careful about gas usage.

My friend has the same model (4WD) and but has a lead foot. His car only gets about 18 mpg even on the highway because he usually keeps his car around 80 to 85 mph.

Really, how fast do you drive? Do you put additives in your tank?

A quick follow up on the wind noise. It's not the other noise in the ML that is masking the wind noise. I've even put in on neutral to get rid of driveline noise and engine noise just to hear the wind noise. There was none. (ML, by the way, has a higher decibel rating due to a loud engine and exaust noise)

Last edited by MellonC00; 10-05-04 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 05:13 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

No, no kidding. Trust me on this. I get 24 mpg on the highway with my RX300 AWD. Though it is rated at 18/22 by EPA.

I usually go about 75-78 mph with cruise control except in the mountains. The legal limit is 75 mph around here and I hear 3 mph over limit is the max a cop would tolerate. I use mostly BP/Amoco 87 octane, which is mid-grade around here. Never put any additive in the tank. The tires are stock Goodyear Integrity. I don't have a lead foot.

I hear that the air is about 20% thinner at a mile high. Not sure if that's true. It could improve highway gas mileage.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 10-05-04 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 05:17 PM
rl9905
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in California also and I have a 2000 RX300 which is FWD. Usually I drive around 80-85mph. But I only get like 17 miles per galloon. I normally use chevron premium gas.

Last edited by rl9905; 10-05-04 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 10:03 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MellonC00
You have got to be kidding me. You live in Colorado (I assume higher elavation) and get 24mpg. How fast do you drive? 65 mph? In L.A. the "unofficial" speed limit is between 75 and 80. Typically, when I drive long distance, I try to keep it around 75 and am very careful about gas usage.

My friend has the same model (4WD) and but has a lead foot. His car only gets about 18 mpg even on the highway because he usually keeps his car around 80 to 85 mph.

Really, how fast do you drive? Do you put additives in your tank?

A quick follow up on the wind noise. It's not the other noise in the ML that is masking the wind noise. I've even put in on neutral to get rid of driveline noise and engine noise just to hear the wind noise. There was none. (ML, by the way, has a higher decibel rating due to a loud engine and exaust noise)
WTF, I consistently get 16MPG, how do you guys pull that off with the AWD????
Old 10-05-04, 10:39 PM
rl9905
Driver

Maybe in Colorado, they are able to get 24 mpg because they have Higher Octane then us. I heard some states got 93 or 95 somthing. We have 91 as our highest
Old 10-05-04, 10:49 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

We get 85-87-91 in Colorado. We have thinner air, so supposely an engine designed to run on regular 87 can get away with 85. I use 87 which is mid-grade.

I can't explain why I get 24 mpg on highway trips. I suppose the thinner air helps. Assume the air is 20% thinner, further assume that half of the engine power is used against the drag at highway speed, then a 9% saving (24 mpg vs. EPA 22 mpg) isn't too far fetch. Also, I usually find another car going at 75 mph and follow him with cruise (at a safe distance of course.) That might help too.

Not sure why you guys get only 16-17 mpg on California highway. That's what I used to average in NYC stop-n-go traffic.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 10-05-04 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 01:06 AM
rl9905
Driver

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
We get 85-87-91 in Colorado. We have thinner air, so supposely an engine designed to run on regular 87 can get away with 85. I use 87 which is mid-grade.

I can't explain why I get 24 mpg on highway trips. I suppose the thinner air helps. Assume the air is 20% thinner, further assume that half of the engine power is used against the drag at highway speed, then a 9% saving (24 mpg vs. EPA 22 mpg) isn't too far fetch. Also, I usually find another car going at 75 mph and follow him with cruise (at a safe distance of course.) That might help too.

Not sure why you guys get only 16-17 mpg on California highway. That's what I used to average in NYC stop-n-go traffic.
Really, How interesting over here in Cali we have 87, 89 and 91. and then there is Chevron with techron and Shell with V-Power. I never tried the shell yet. Usually I get Chevron. I assume that CONICO is probably one of the good gas brand over in colorado right?

Hmmm it could be that the air is 20% thinner. ORrrr.......... Maybe it's the California smog polution that we have here in our atmosphere.

Oh wait i know why, maybe because those who live in an area that is cold or cool dont ever usually drive with their A/C on, therefore getting more milage then most of us here in California. As oppose to California, it's hot here so we always run our A/C here, therefore making our Milage decrease.

- Robert

Last edited by rl9905; 10-06-04 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-06-04, 11:31 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Default off-topic - Gas mileage

I don't worship any particular brand. Gas is gas. Don't let advertising or fancy slogan fool you. I use BP/Amoco mostly because I have their rebate credit card and it's closest to home.

True, I turn off the A/C in the morning because it's usually cool in Colorado, even in the summer. I do have to use the A/C in the afternoon. The sun gets blazing hot in high altitude. Not sure how much gas the A/C uses. Maybe just one mpg?
Old 10-06-04, 07:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The higher elevated places like Colorado and etc will get better gas mileage despite the lower octane ratings. Alot of it is due to the thinner atmosphere, leaner conditions, allows a better cleaner burn for gas. And i've experienced the best mileage using 86 octane on a 1MZ-FE on several trips through Arizona/New Mexico & West Texas on a 1MZ-FE powered Avalon. Best mileage was 32.2mpg on a constant 75mph cruise control setting w/the A/C running.
Old 06-29-05, 10:37 AM
lexus_perf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Wind noise is a concern because, my buddy has the ML350 which has no wind noise what so ever (but it does have a whole bunch of other problems). The comparison is like night and day. To this day, I don't know why all other cars in the Lexus line has no wind noise but this one does. I drove the RX330 and it is a lot better than the 300 but still doesn't approach the ML level.
Do a search for "ML350 reliability" or go on epinions.com and search it. It's shocking how horrible the ML350 is.

Then search RX300
Old 09-27-05, 11:46 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
No, no kidding. Trust me on this. I get 24 mpg on the highway with my RX300 AWD. Though it is rated at 18/22 by EPA.
I.
I also get 24 mpg on the hwy wit my 99 awd rx300, but the difference with me is that i live in houston where its hot and humid. In the mornings and evenings i can drive w/o the a/c but during noon to afternoon, i have to keep it on because of the 95-100º+ temp.
Old 09-27-05, 11:48 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

This is off topic but i just noticed the Harrier badge. I think i wouldnt mind having that instead of the lexus badge on the front grille.
Old 09-28-05, 09:13 AM
vuvision
Driver School Candidate

FWIW ... we've recently purchased the new ML350 to replace my wife's long on the tooth 2000 RX300 with 100K+ miles, and we still keep the RX300 for grocery getter.

When Rita came to the door step of Houston last week, given this seemingly life & death emergency situation, it was easy for me to choose the RX300 over our brand new ML350 as vehicle of choice to bail the family out of Houston to Dallas. My decision was based on:

1) Almost bullet proof reliability track record of our RX300.
2) Better gas mileage for the long journey to Dallas.
3) Unknow reliability of the ML350 being in it's first year.
4) Last & not least, that intangible warm & fuzzy feeling knowing that my family is safer in the RX300.

At the end of the day, the proven reliability of Lexus/Toyota reputation won me over. That said, no issue with the ML3500 thus far (cross our fingers), and as daily driver, my wife loves it to no end.

HTH
Old 09-28-05, 10:04 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vuvision
FWIW ... we've recently purchased the new ML350 to replace my wife's long on the tooth 2000 RX300 with 100K+ miles, and we still keep the RX300 for grocery getter.

When Rita came to the door step of Houston last week, given this seemingly life & death emergency situation, it was easy for me to choose the RX300 over our brand new ML350 as vehicle of choice to bail the family out of Houston to Dallas. My decision was based on:

1) Almost bullet proof reliability track record of our RX300.
2) Better gas mileage for the long journey to Dallas.
3) Unknow reliability of the ML350 being in it's first year.
4) Last & not least, that intangible warm & fuzzy feeling knowing that my family is safer in the RX300.

At the end of the day, the proven reliability of Lexus/Toyota reputation won me over. That said, no issue with the ML3500 thus far (cross our fingers), and as daily driver, my wife loves it to no end.

HTH
I am glad that you guys were OK. I've got a buddy in Houston whose wife delivered a daughter the night Rita got there. Anyways, I was only saying that ML has lower wind noise than RX. Again, the new ML still has lower wind noise then the RX330. Of course, Lexus has better reliability. Still don't know why RX has higher wind noise than the ML. Judging by the quitness of the LS you would think that the RX will be quite too....

Quick Reply: Scared of the RX300 from ya'lls posts...