RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Dashboard U-shaped wood trim removal question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 06:43 PM
rhack1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard U-shaped wood trim removal question

Before i take to the challenge myself and ruin the U-shaped wood trim on the dashboard center console, does anyone know what/how to remove the trim easily?...where are the tabs to hold it in place?...best "tool" to use without hurting the wood, etc?...i just ordered a replacement radio/screen display for the flaky one i have in my 1999 rx300 awd and plan to replace it myself...once the trim is off, it's a couple screws and a few connectors and the replacement should be done...saving tons of money versus lexus service -- parts and labor...thanks!...R
Old 10-11-04, 08:41 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wood Trim Removal

The U shaped trim piece comes out easy. You just need a hook shaped tool. I bought mine at a local Auto store. It has a hook shaped ice pick style of tip. With a plastic handle.

To get the trim piece off. Start on the upper right outboard corner. Insert the tool between the trim and the plastic center console. Turn the tool so the tip is behind the trim piece. Pull slow and easy. And the trim piece will pull loose. Mine was a little stiff the first time. But it will work its way loose. Once you start getting the trim loose. You can grab the piece with your hands and work your way down and towards the steering wheel.

There are about 5 of 6 clips that need to come loose. The trim piece has a straight plastic edge. That inserts into a clip thats mounted into the console. To remove the piece. You just need to disconnect the cigarette lighter. And the other switches.
Old 10-12-04, 04:28 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Default follow-up question

THX for the info: i understood what you said up until the last part: "The trim piece has a straight plastic edge. That inserts into a clip thats mounted into the console. To remove the piece. You just need to disconnect the cigarette lighter. And the other switches."...

I assumed that once i move the tool down around the edges of the wood trim that it would "pop-off"...are you saying that the trim fits into a clip mounted into the console and THE CLIP can be removed by disconnecting the cig lighter and other switches?...not sure i understand that part...

i am actually going to replace the display screen/radio/climate control unit...I just bought one on-line for $210 shipped...i was told that after the trim is removed, there are screws that hold this unit in...and idea or advice?...

thx again...Rob
Old 10-12-04, 10:00 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Trim Removal

The U shaped trim piece has 5 or 6 pieces of plastic. About 1 1/2 inches long. 1 /4 wide. They are attached to the U shaped trim. They stick out away from the trim piece. The best way to describe it would be like a large table with very short legs. The console has 5 or 6 holes. Attached to the hole is a metal type of spring or clip. They stay with the console. When you push the trim piece into place. The plastic piece goes into the the hole. Once it goes completely in. The spring and clip holds it in place. To pull it out. You have to pull against the force of the clip. Until it pops.

Once the trim piece is loose. It will still have 3 or 4 electrical connectors attached. It would depend on what you have in your RX. Like heated seats. Cigarette lighter. They just disconnect. And you can lift the trim piece off.

The reason I had mine off was to run the cassette adaptor for my XM radio. I installed my Roady in the sunglasses holder. And ran the wiring behind the console. After I was done. All you see from the whole installation is about 6 inches of wiring. From the cassette deck to the trim piece. There are all types of screws and brackets behind the trim. But it may be a little tight on space. So you may have to pull the radio to get access to the display.

Good Luck
Old 10-12-04, 10:20 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Default excellent...thx!...

excellent description...i fully understand...appreciate the help -- never would have thought the trim attached that was...and the advice on getting the right tool from a auto store was great...the right tool and now knowing how it goes together will be of great help as i tackle the install...thx again...Rob
Old 10-12-04, 10:59 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Trim Removal

Not a problem. Ive had mine out 3 or 4 times. The first time coming loose it was tight. So I thought it was still attached. But with a steady pull. It will pop out. From the outside it looks a little thin. But once you get it out. You will see it would be hard to break.
Old 11-20-06, 10:38 AM
bandgap112
Rookie

Do you think I can find the hook shaped tool at Auto Zone or Kragen store? I'm planning to add an aux-in to my '00 RX300 to connect my mp3 player.