RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2004 RX330 vs. 2002 RX 300 "Coach"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 10:58 AM
Burrogs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 vs. 2002 RX 300 "Coach"

Hello, my ife and I are in the market for an RX. I seems like the price differential between the last 2 years of RX's is minimal, meaning an '04 cost marginally more than and '03, which costs marginally more than an '02. Anyway, we have decided that we definitely like the '04 the best, but with all the talk of transmission woes, I am scared to buy one for my wife, and the potential hit to my pocketbook. Therefore, I have sought out a Graphite Gray Pearl '02 Coach package. It is, in my eyes, the go between for the 300 and 330 since it is monochromatic and has a little updated interior from the regular 300. My question is this. If you were given the choice between a CPO'd 04 330 or a CPO'd 02 300 "Coach" with similar miles, (less than 30K) and within about $1,000 of each other, which would you go for and why? I absolutely love the looks of the 330, but in the long run would prefer reliability. Do you think it is safe to get a CPO'd '04, or will Lexus try to ignore any transmission issues I may face down the road? Also, are the transmission problems hit or miss, or are they seen in every example? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-19-04, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Default Re: 2004 RX330 vs. 2002 RX 300 "Coach"

Originally posted by Burrogs
Hello, my ife and I are in the market for an RX. I seems like the price differential between the last 2 years of RX's is minimal, meaning an '04 cost marginally more than and '03, which costs marginally more than an '02. Anyway, we have decided that we definitely like the '04 the best, but with all the talk of transmission woes, I am scared to buy one for my wife, and the potential hit to my pocketbook. Therefore, I have sought out a Graphite Gray Pearl '02 Coach package. It is, in my eyes, the go between for the 300 and 330 since it is monochromatic and has a little updated interior from the regular 300. My question is this. If you were given the choice between a CPO'd 04 330 or a CPO'd 02 300 "Coach" with similar miles, (less than 30K) and within about $1,000 of each other, which would you go for and why? I absolutely love the looks of the 330, but in the long run would prefer reliability. Do you think it is safe to get a CPO'd '04, or will Lexus try to ignore any transmission issues I may face down the road? Also, are the transmission problems hit or miss, or are they seen in every example? Thanks for your help.
Well concerning the tranny its not like the tranny is breaking down like the Acura trannies. It seems to be a case of the "fuzzy logic" not learning correctly, thus shifting weird. Its with some cars, not all.

If the 04 and 02 are within 1k of each other, I'd get the 04.
Old 10-19-04, 06:00 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Burrogs, our previous RX was one of the earliest 99s out in this area, which SHE loved and would STILL be driving had not the 330 totally stolen HER heart. SICK's comments are accurate: the tranny isn't weak but there seem to be software issues. That said, SHE isn't complaining at all. Plus, the AWD system is more robust/effective in the 330 than the 300 (not that I had complaints about the one in the 300). And note my location. I didn't buy AWD because Arkansas gets lots of snow and ice (but when we did, both AWD systems were like voodoo)........but we get 50" of rain a year and the AWD tracks as if on rails! Back to back with FWD with VSC/TRAC, the difference is literally amazing. Plus no torque steer (and having driven loaner 330s, both RX and ES, with FWD, it's very apparent in all the expected situations).

There is one aspect of the 300 interior that I think is better: the plastic of the dash and doors, with it's grained appearance, is both softer in feel and richer in appearance than that pebbly-looking schit in the 330. Def dropped the ball there but this seems to be the hot thing in Japan since Nissan/Infiniti has the same stuff in their vehicles. Yuch.

Finally, Lexus (and Toyota) have not ignored ANY reliability issues over the years (and I've been driving Lexus since 1991). Ref: 3L V6 sludge motor complaints. It did take them some time to agree that there was any sort of problem possibly not associated with pisspoor owner maintainence but their final response was awesome (8 years, 100k mile warranty from original date of purchase, regardless of number of owners). Please note that my eyes are not blinded by the light of the Rising Sun: this was the right thing to do from a PR standpoint as much as anything else. But it was also the standup thing to do. (I have other, personal examples which are more related to individual relationships with local dealer, but I gotta go put my boys to bed, so PM me if you wish further data.)

Bottom line: have no fear of the 330.
Old 10-20-04, 05:25 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burrogs, having tried a '99 for four years and now an '03 that hasn't needed any repairs or adjustments for 2 years - and test driven a 330, and then a lot of other vehicles at the recent Lexus Luxury Event (that was fabulous in NJ) - fwiw I would go with the 330.

You'll have the warranty period to evaluate the tranny and it's a much cooler/newer car, imo. Wish I had one, but we love our '03 that fits in our garage, my baby's not staying out all night!

Last edited by parula; 10-20-04 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 05:47 AM
Burrogs
Driver School Candidate

I think I am going to try and swing an '04 330. There really are a lot of little things (radio controls in the steering wheel, auto hatch, aluminum look trim, and better intrument cluster and 18 in wheels) that I like much more about the 330 than the 300, and since we will be keeping this car for at least 6 years, I think it will keep up happier, longer. Compared to the 330, the 300's looks really dated. Plus, if I was to try to recreate what I like about the 330, in the 300, it would cost much more than the price diff between buying one outright. So, I think I will look for a '04 Flint RX330. Thanks everyone for your help.

One last question...Are there any production dates to stay away from in 2004? I figure I will look for something that actually was built in 2004. That should probably keep me pretty safe.
Old 10-21-04, 06:16 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

My RX330 was built in April 2003. And it had to have several TSBs applied to it. However, once they were all completed (at dealer's expense)...the vehicle runs as I would've expected. So if you buy one of the 2003 models, just make sure the dealer applies every known TSB to the vehicle (most were voluntary). All of the 2003-built owners have forced Lexus to work out the first-year kinks so you don't have to!

Here are a few other points of the RX330 vs. RX300 that you missed (all of these are standard too):

* RX330 has the 3.3 liter engine vs. 3.0 engine (more hp, more torque)
* 5-speed tranny vs. 4-speed
* better MPG (extra 1MPG on highway)
* 3 extra airbags (knee + curtain airbags)
* Improved front airbags
* Tighter turning radius. I recall that the RX330 is 3' or 4' smaller

Concerning the tranny, they were not major issues. I had 2, and both were "fixed". One TSB was to reprogram the shift-pattern to make it smoother, the other eliminated the "clunk" sound when coasting to a stop. Of course I wish the car had it right from the beginning, but at least Lexus came through and put out patches for these issues.

Concerning 2004 vs. 2003...The 2003s were bult in Japan, but some time in Sep/Oct 2003 they switched to Canada (first time Lexus built outside Japan). I've had loaner RX330s that were canadian built, and they seem the same as mine. So you should be safe with 2004.
Old 10-21-04, 06:20 AM
Burrogs
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks for the info. Speaking of TSBs, my local Lexus dealer has a former loaner RX optioned out the way I want that has been CPO'd. Does Lexus voluntarily apply all of the TSB's to their loaner vehicles, or would they have passed them up since no one really drives them for enough time to notice or to complain? I will be hitting up the local Lexus Financial Services Auction in the coming weeks to see if I can pick one up there, but since this one already has a warranty, and is pretty much what I want, I thought I'd at least give it a look. Thanks again for all fo the info, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-21-04, 07:46 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

>>...Does Lexus voluntarily apply all of the TSB's to their loaner vehicles, or would they have passed them up since no one really drives them for enough time to notice or to complain?

I doubt they'd apply TSBs unless they were mechanically required, or related to safety.

But I'd hope that they would do it prior to resale...but just in case I'd demand that they go through the list before you pick up the vehicle and explain why a particular TSB was not applicable.

...most of the TSBs are fixes for noises, or improvements on minor items (roof rack, glove box, visor, etc..)...
Old 10-21-04, 02:47 PM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

330 all the way. the 300 doesnt have the aggressive look as the 330, and if both are in reach, why not go for the 330.
Old 10-21-04, 09:51 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gotta agree with Doc Mooretorque here. Having had both a 300 and a 330 I believe you'll find the 330 a cut above the older model - although I also preferred the beautiful wood trim and smoother dash finish on the 300. I've looked for but haven't yet found the "Wilson" logo on the dash of my 330 . . .

The performance of the 330 is a good deal better, with better mid-range (usable) torque and slightly better handling dynamics, due largely, I suspect, to the longer WB and the (optional) 18" wheel/tire combination. Don't worry about mechanicals, both editions of the RX are as close to bulletproof as they get. A good, low-mileage CPO vehicle is probably one of the best "bargains" in the business. For the difference, I'd go with the 330.
Old 10-22-04, 06:05 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

hi,do you mean that they download the new version of the transmission,did somebody had his trany program changed to the new version,is there any difference.
Old 10-22-04, 08:36 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2004 RX330 vs. 2002 RX 300 "Coach"

Originally posted by Burrogs
Hello, my ife and I are in the market for an RX. I seems like the price differential between the last 2 years of RX's is minimal, meaning an '04 cost marginally more than and '03, which costs marginally more than an '02..........
Depreciation is so low on the RX, it almost makes no sense to buy it used IMHO. I'd go for a brand-new 2004 or 2005. Not used or CPO.

Don't worry about the jerky tranny issue. It's not a mechanical or design problem. The original tranny software was written primarily for fuel economy, which caused jerky shifting and slow-reacting downshifting. Lexus has made changes to it and it should be fine now.
Old 10-22-04, 08:49 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There was a considerable difference in the shift algorithm between the original and the one offered to early production units. The upgrade produced slightly quicker 1-2-3 shifts at higher RPM and smoother downshifts. I didn't notice much difference in mileage - but most of my driving is on freeways, where the trans spends most of its time in 4th or 5th.

The transmission program was changed early in the production cycle - cars built after June-July '03 were delivered with the new program, and earlier units were updated to that software when requested by owners.
Old 06-28-05, 12:26 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Depreciation is so low on the RX, it almost makes no sense to buy it used IMHO. I'd go for a brand-new 2004 or 2005. Not used or CPO.
I know it's an old thread, but...

When we bought our 2000 new, the best we could do was about 38,500. That's an AWD without Navigation.

Last week, we purchased a CPO 2002 with 32K miles. It is an AWD with Navigation. It was $29,900. It also has the bigger gas tank, HID headlights, and VSC. (We did not like the interior or driver visibility of the 04's and later, and preferred an 01-03.)

I would say that for some people, it makes a lot of sense to buy CPO if you can save $7500 and get a car with more features.
Old 06-28-05, 06:30 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think anybody mentioned the tighter turning radius of the RX330. You eventually learn to live with the wide turning radius of the RX300, but it's still an annoyance. Other than that, I think it may be a matter of taste.