RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HID Theft

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 09:38 AM
pcwork1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Calvin L
The article I read about theft on xenon HID's in NYC only pertain to Nissan Maximas. You have nothing to worry about.
I think the problem is local to NY/NJ area.

From what I know, people with HID really have very few choices. You can cross your fingers and wait until it happens, paid your $500 insurance deductible, and have them replaced. Your insurance will go up next year. The thieves know where you park, and they will come again.

Unlike the Maxima, which there's nothing they can do, a RX owner can do something about it. Those poor guys with Maxima have to sell the vehicle below market price or paid $200 a month for garage parking.

I think brush guard is a good deterrent, and it's not expensive. I paid $375 and $220 for rear bumper guard, plus $100 installation for my 05 RX 330.
Old 11-24-04, 02:25 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: HID Theft

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
They are mistaken. Lexus has no issues with HID theft. The Acura HID is so cheap and easy to steal in comparison. With the Acuras, theives know on certiain cars, they are standard, so every car is a target. With the RX, since its optional, the thief would have to guess and waste tons of time to figure this out.

Even when they were standard they were not stolen out of IS 300s. Its because its too hard to steal.
Mike,

I beg to differ - unfortunately my little sister's RX was nailed this week, right in front of her house - lucky for those bastards they didn't wake my bro-in-law - all of his hunting gear was out and ready to go ***** could've gotten thick. Also in the local Westchester papers they ran an blurb in the crimewatch section that this was happening...Also, in the past few months my wife had a few loaner RX's hit in the city and the Bronx. Today - she gets a copy of a notice, from a customer from White Plains, from the chief of police in White Plains that this is a big issue in our area right now - also confirmed with our FBI friend as well.

So, sorry to say guys and gals this is absolutely an issue - especially on RX's. keep your car garaged or invest in some brush/grille guards. Oh and BTW all, if you get an amatuer and the cut the harness tack another $3k onto the repair.

Wifey's RX stays in the garage....now, where's my 9
Old 03-04-06, 07:54 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently received a letter from Lexus saying it would perform a repair to prevent headlight theft if done before EO'06. I will definitely have this done.
Old 03-04-06, 08:59 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by parula
I recently received a letter from Lexus saying it would perform a repair to prevent headlight theft if done before EO'06. I will definitely have this done.
Any chances of scanning and posting this letter. My RX is an 2001. I wonder if I will get one. Local news ran another article a couple of weeks ago claiming HID theft in Northern NJ is rampant and Lexus is #1.
Old 03-04-06, 12:53 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know where in NJ you are from, but they say the cities and suburbs around them are the worst. The dealer will install Data Dots. Don't wait for the letter, they seem to be real slow coming. You can make the appt with the dealer. It takes awhile (around 2 hours) because they take everything apart and put in new brackets.
When Lexus first came out with the Data Dots there was a shortage of the kits, but my guess is they're more caught up now. I had mine installed on my '06 in August at Warnock Lexus.
Old 03-04-06, 01:17 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I don't know where in NJ you are from, but they say the cities and suburbs around them are the worst. The dealer will install Data Dots. Don't wait for the letter, they seem to be real slow coming. You can make the appt with the dealer. It takes awhile (around 2 hours) because they take everything apart and put in new brackets.
When Lexus first came out with the Data Dots there was a shortage of the kits, but my guess is they're more caught up now. I had mine installed on my '06 in August at Warnock Lexus.
I am about 30 minutes west of Warnock. Morris County is the problem area that the newspaper refered to. However, I did read that Data Dots aren't much of a deterrent. Thieves don't care they just rip out the HIDs anyway. The HIDs work just as well in their Civic with Data Dots as without.
Old 03-04-06, 01:27 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

It's not that the dots change the lights, they have better brackets which make them harder to steal. I don't think anything is full proof. I just think it makes sense to do whatever you can and watch where you park, too.
Old 03-04-06, 02:02 PM
parula
Instructor

The letter describes the Data Dots but doesn't mention any sort of bracketing and mentions the 2+ hours depending on workloads. It says to call the Customer Assistance Number 800-255-3987 if one has questions. I plan to just take mine in for the next oil change service. Not much other information.
Old 03-04-06, 04:04 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I spoke too soon in asking for a scan of that letter. Mine came in the mail today. It mentions the bracket and the data dots. Don't know how effective it will be, but I do have to give Lexus credit for for at least doing something.

Last edited by mikey00; 03-04-06 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-04-06, 06:28 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Yeah, it's just too bad that they're so slow in getting the letters out. A friend of mine just had an attempt on stealing her ESand when they couldn't steal it, they took the lights. Altogether it is $4000 damage. Of course Lexus hadn't sent her the letter yet. So get your Data Dots. They do put a sticker on the lights and the side windows so that thieves know it has been installed. Good luck.
Old 03-05-06, 04:52 AM
parula
Instructor

I don't have a way to post a copy of the letter but I notice it does mention, "new HID headlight securing devices" so maybe that is the bracketing system you are mentioning. I wasn't aware that the fixed HIDs were in such demand, I would think that only the dynamic adapting HIDs would be desirable to steal.

Last edited by parula; 03-05-06 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-05-06, 05:02 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by parula
I don't have a way to post a copy of the letter but I notice it does mention, "new HID headlight securing devices" so maybe that is the bracketing system you are mentioning.

I wasn't aware that the fixed HIDs were in such demand, I would think that only the dynamic adapting HIDs would be desirable to steal.
Yes, the securing devices are the brackets.
Old 03-05-06, 05:11 AM
parula
Instructor

Lightbulb HID Prices!

WOW, I looked up HID prices, http://www.xenonking.com/philips_4300.htm now I see why there is such demand for them at about $600 per car! I'll get them ID'd and secured now asap, I was going to put it off for a while. How do thieves get into the engine compartment to steal the bulbs and equipment without releasing the hood from inside the vehicle?