RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Modifications (high flow air filter)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 03:39 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I have a much simpler viewpoint to share ...

MAF sensor and the electronics behind it control the fuel/air ratio. Unless the engine is starving for air (near extreeme rpm if not red line say 75% (swag))just changing the air filter will not get you anything worth-while at normal driving condition. Unless someone cracks the mapping and then modifies it to gain full benifit with the easy breathing air filter the mod is some what wasteful.

Incidentally have a look at the exhaust orfice and compare ot with air inlet size. Any chemist here who can tell us the hot combuted exhaust volume vs, fresh air ratio ? Somehow I have the feeling that RX inlet size is ok.

Salim
Better air inlet flow means that more fuel can be added. You get more power from each explosion after the mixture is compressed and ignited. Stuffing more air into the engine is what makes supercharger works.
Old 02-01-05, 03:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

When you live above 7,000 feet, it pays to experiment with bad MPG and power, not to mention bad Pemex gas. The guys at my local track love me, even though it is slow compared to the cars, but it does beat up on the SUV crowd.

The drilling the hole in the resonator box was worth a shot for testings sake only.

Good question about shifting?

I have tried leaving it in D (using variations of PWR on/off, Overdrive on/off) and manual shifting with the lower gears. I found virtually no difference. At least in my case, we did come to the conclusion that the overdrive, whether suprising or not, should be left on. Sometimes I get better times with PWR off (probably due to my heavy foot during the day).

Your cold air idea is fantastic. That is exactly what needs to be done taking it from a point where virtually no air could touch the air intake.

I just need to get some good pipe down here and go to work.

Thank god, we now have Home Depot in Mexico.

Last edited by Lexmex; 03-02-05 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 06:07 PM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Better air inlet flow means that more fuel can be added. You get more power from each explosion after the mixture is compressed and ignited. Stuffing more air into the engine is what makes supercharger works.
I agree, but the setup must include modiifying the maf/ecu electronics. Once again vvti and blowing compressed air helps when the engine is starving for oxygen.

IMHO, folks who are serious about this mod need to look at the complete system ... working from exhaust back to the inlet.

Salim
Old 02-01-05, 10:22 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Partially agree. You still gets power gain w/ a higher flow air filter, especially moving the air inlet source from behind the left headlight to to where resonator was.
I have 5zigen catback exhaust in on the way from Japan ECU tuning would be nice to take advantage of these performance upgrades but I am not sure there is one for RX.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 02-01-05 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 07:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Not too long ago, I remember reading here about certain groups doing dyno tests on modified ECUs for beloved RXs, but nothing became of that.

I plan this Friday on removing the resonator on my exhaust system, and replacing it with pipe along with straightening out the pipe to the muffler.

Should work well at the track on Friday night.

On Saturday, will beging work on moving air flow to resonator box area. Will post updates when after they are done and have been track tested.
Old 02-02-05, 10:08 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Not too long ago, I remember reading here about certain groups doing dyno tests on modified ECUs for beloved RXs, but nothing became of that.

I plan this Friday on removing the resonator on my exhaust system, and replacing it with pipe along with straightening out the pipe to the muffler.

Should work well at the track on Friday night.

On Saturday, will beging work on moving air flow to resonator box area. Will post updates when after they are done and have been track tested.
Great, would like to see your 1/4 mile time. I always believe gate shifting, L-2-D-O/D, so I can reach higher RPM on lower gears before shifting into higher ones. PWR shifts @ 4000 rpm, leaving at normal shifts around 2500-2700 rpm, RX can produce more hp at higher RPM.
Old 02-02-05, 08:51 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Cecioboe
I copied this from the FAQs.
My question: what is the advantage (if any) to this?

"A popular modification is changing from the OEM Air Filter to a "High-Flow" filter from Toyota Racing Development(TRD) or K&N."

Thanks!
I've got the K & N personally.....although I've heard they both are good choices. I'm not sure how long the TRD air filters are rated for however.....I know the K & N can go 50,000 miles before you need to re-oil it.
Old 02-02-05, 09:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the street racing underworld, some rip out the A/C system to save weight, some enterprising ricers redirect cold A/C air into the air box. Cold air is denser than warm air thus provide more oxygen to burn. Just food for thought.
Old 02-02-05, 10:30 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I've got the K & N personally.....although I've heard they both are good choices. I'm not sure how long the TRD air filters are rated for however.....I know the K & N can go 50,000 miles before you need to re-oil it.
TRD cleaning kit costs a little more. www.ajusa.com sells K&N Recharger kit around $8.5, if you order > $19 or a K&N filter ($36 for RX300), free shipping is included.
Old 02-03-05, 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

TunedRX300,

What exactly are thermo wrapped pipes?
Old 02-03-05, 10:06 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

TunedRX300,

It increases exhaust temperature by wrapping a layer of thermo insulating material around exhaust pipe and curing with heat resistent paint. Hotter exhaust air exits faster.

Some wrap around the exhaust header to keep the engine bay cool, which gives hp if your intake is sucking inside the engine bay. Jet Hot coating is better for header since it coats both inside and outside but it is more expensive (>$240). I use thermo wraps on exhaust pipes after the catalytic convertor.

http://www.thermotec.com/technology/how/how.html
http://www.jet-hot.com/pages/whyjethot.html
Old 02-03-05, 12:50 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

TunedRX300,

Many ricers use thermo-insulated air intake pipe to reduce intake air temperature (for more air.) It usually comes with a cone-shaped fabric-based air filter, so in effect, it is a replacement of the stock air box and intake.

I have not personally seen anyone use thermo application on the exhaust. The exhaust air gets really hot and it can melt just about anything. I think insulating the exhaust may have negative effect on heat dissipation, which can lead to crack or damage in the exhaust system. I wouldn't insulate it.
Old 02-03-05, 03:37 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Many ricers use thermo-insulated air intake pipe to reduce intake air temperature (for more air.) It usually comes with a cone-shaped fabric-based air filter, so in effect, it is a replacement of the stock air box and intake.

I have not personally seen anyone use thermo application on the exhaust. The exhaust air gets really hot and it can melt just about anything. I think insulating the exhaust may have negative effect on heat dissipation, which can lead to crack or damage in the exhaust system. I wouldn't insulate it.
I have used thermo wrap for over 80K in my 94 Altima before I sold it. 43K so far on my RX, there is no cracking. I am not sure pipes can be melted with the added temperature - it is the same argument that sidewalls from lower profile tires got damaged easier than stock ones when sidewalls are designed to take a beating.
Exhaust pipes are designed to go through the heat cold cycle in their entire lives, if they crack it is not because few added degrees.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 02-03-05 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 05:07 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

FWIW, I've seen many cracked exhaust manifolds. And that's without insulation of any kind. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 02-09-05, 08:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Take a look at this,

http://www.kk-topline.co.jp/catalog/tuning/index.html

Scroll down to the one with that says Turbo Kit, this is for an Estima that has a 1MZ-FE engine.

Comments?

Quick Reply: Modifications (high flow air filter)