RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Modifications (high flow air filter)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 07:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

For purposes of performance, might it be possible to swap an engine, say from a GS400 and throw it into an RX300. Several people have told me this might be an even better option, with the better opportunities for modifications later?
Old 02-15-05, 01:41 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
For purposes of performance, might it be possible to swap an engine, say from a GS400 and throw it into an RX300. Several people have told me this might be an even better option, with the better opportunities for modifications later?
Go for it, but I think the turbo might be less work, have you heard of this ECU tuning
JET Custom Computer Upgrade Kit

Last edited by TunedRX300; 02-15-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 01:48 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not one to do much engine swaps, but it seems like squeezing the GS430 V8 into the RX330 might be major dollars and a lot of custom work if it fits at all. I know the RX330 uses a transverse mounted engine with FWD style axels, so I'm not sure how the V8 will fit or even if it can mount to the RX Trans. If you need to use the V8 trans, I'm not sure how you would adopt it for either FWD or AWD. Anyway, I'm sure with money it can be done. A better swap might be the new 245 HP V6 from either the 06 GS300, or the 3.5 V6 from the Avalon with 280HP.
Old 02-17-05, 07:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

However,

What I had in mind was to opt for the V8 and then stick a turbo package on it. SRT has one of these. Sure, I would have to change differentials and a whole bunch of other goodies, but this would give me major bragging points at my track and be unique, not to mention my 1/4 mile times.

We have old Beetles that go over the border and give Japanese and muscle cars racers fits with their turobcharged engines, http://www.vochoweb.com/grillos/

Not sure if I stick the new GS or Avalon engine if the mods would be immediately available, plus it would probably be pricier. I am sure I could get used V8s.

I am completely aware that this would cost major $$$, but I am not thrilled at either the HP of the new RX330 or even the RX400h.
Old 02-18-05, 10:05 AM
bige320
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm not one to do much engine swaps, but it seems like squeezing the GS430 V8 into the RX330 might be major dollars and a lot of custom work if it fits at all. I know the RX330 uses a transverse mounted engine with FWD style axels, so I'm not sure how the V8 will fit or even if it can mount to the RX Trans. If you need to use the V8 trans, I'm not sure how you would adopt it for either FWD or AWD. Anyway, I'm sure with money it can be done. A better swap might be the new 245 HP V6 from either the 06 GS300, or the 3.5 V6 from the Avalon with 280HP.
I'm with you on this one. The V8 is probably too big to fit in the engine bay. Don't think the 3.0 V6 from the new GS300 would work, because of the RWD layout, unless Lexus manages some crazy setup like how the Acura Legend with FWD, but the engine is placed like a RWD car. So the new GS300 would have a FWD engine layout for the RWD model (which doesn't make much sense to me) and the FWD engine layout for the AWD (just like AWD RXes).

IMO, aside from the GS300 V6 most likely being a RWD layout, it wouldn't make too much sense for Lexus to put that in the RX330. 1) The RX will become RX300 again with that engine, sounds like a downgrade for future buyers who are unfamiliar with Lexus engines. 2) The HP increase still is minimal, still falls short of RX competitors; not sure about the torque though.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Lexus will follow through with its (and Toyota) tradition of engine upgrades for mid-life cycle on the RX. Hopefully, in 2006 it'll become the RX350 with the Avalon's 3.5 and they'll add the Smart Key Access to it.
Old 02-18-05, 05:45 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Go for it, but I think the turbo might be less work, have you heard of this ECU tuning
JET Custom Computer Upgrade Kit
thats is a bull***** chip ive talked to a guy that did it to his car and he didnt feel/notice a thing....just warning u NOT to bother w/ it
Old 02-19-05, 09:10 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To boost the power of the RX, a TRD supercharger kit plus high flow CAT and muffler would make sense. About $3,500 all together with labor. Cheaper and easier than swapping out the engine.

Unfortunately TRD does not make a supercharger for the RX300. One for the old Sienna is available. Maybe some genius out there can make it work in the RX300. If so, I'd love to hear from you.

I don't want third-party supercharger.
Old 02-20-05, 09:25 AM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda off topic but since there are 3! cats on the rx300 i would remove the third one and just put piping there instead, 3 is way to many. or even better maybe gut out the first two and leave the third on
Old 02-20-05, 09:51 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

I would not remove any smog control device for sake of performance. Let's keep the air clean.

And don't eat beans.
Old 02-21-05, 06:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

At one time I thought about putting headers in and going for a high flow cat. I think one CL member has put in a high flow cat.

I would have to restructure the plumbing, but I think it is possible to put in 3 high flow cats and a header system in the RX. I think 5-Zigen made a header system for the RX, unless what I am reading in the link is incorrect, http://optionimports.com/import-store/fjt-014.html

One idea might be to go to a wider exhaust pipe to ease the back pressure. A little more noise. I think our pipes our 2.5 inches if I am not mistaken. Better yet, do a dual exhaust.

Taking one of those cats off will cause a failure on an emissions test (tailpipe) even if you could fool the sensors on an OBDII test.

Now, I have seen the infamous air pumpers that will shoot in more oxygen to the cat in order to help a car pass.
Old 02-21-05, 11:04 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
At one time I thought about putting headers in and going for a high flow cat. I think one CL member has put in a high flow cat.

I would have to restructure the plumbing, but I think it is possible to put in 3 high flow cats and a header system in the RX. I think 5-Zigen made a header system for the RX, unless what I am reading in the link is incorrect, http://optionimports.com/import-store/fjt-014.html

One idea might be to go to a wider exhaust pipe to ease the back pressure. A little more noise. I think our pipes our 2.5 inches if I am not mistaken. Better yet, do a dual exhaust.

Taking one of those cats off will cause a failure on an emissions test (tailpipe) even if you could fool the sensors on an OBDII test.

Now, I have seen the infamous air pumpers that will shoot in more oxygen to the cat in order to help a car pass.
I am going to visit Optionimports.com to verify it is a manifold header. 5Zigen does not have header until recently, I think it is the same catback exhaust that I am ordering from streetdemand.com. Optionimports.com does not have good BBB rating so due diligence up front is a must.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 02-21-05 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 11:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have my doubts about that one, too. Someone else had posted this before and called and said it was a header, but famous last words.

I saw some thing about this electric supercharger, http://www.boosthead.com

This apparently has gotten some press, but I am doubtful of one these applications on an RX without some modifications (that goes for about anything and an RX).
Old 02-21-05, 01:53 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

I'd stay away from those one-size-fits-all superchargers. They usually don't work well and cause tons of problems. And there's more to it than just pumping more air in. I really wish TRD would make one for the RX300.
Old 02-22-05, 04:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I think I will opt for a turbo. If the increase in hp would be anything like the one in the Camry Solara supercharger, forget it.

SRT had been working on a project a few years ago with a turbocharger w/intercooler for the RX300, but when I asked about it a month ago, they said nobody was ever interested enough for them to put it in the market. Thing was supposed to get like 120+ hp.
Old 02-22-05, 08:17 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

I guess turbo lag isn't desireable in a 4,000 lbs. vehicle. I just want a light boost from a supercharger so that my RX300 behave like at sea level. (I'm from NYC originally.)

Quick Reply: Modifications (high flow air filter)