RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Modifications (high flow air filter)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-04, 06:37 AM
Cecioboe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Modifications (high flow air filter)

I copied this from the FAQs.
My question: what is the advantage (if any) to this?

"A popular modification is changing from the OEM Air Filter to a "High-Flow" filter from Toyota Racing Development(TRD) or K&N."

Thanks!
Old 11-07-04, 07:29 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

the new filter will give you more air flow which then will kinda give you a little more power, better fuel efficieny (sp?) and a little more of an exhaust note. Am i correct? Correct me if i'm wrong.

I am too planning on gettin some sort of filter for the RX300 but i haven't had time to go out and actually get it.
Old 11-07-04, 11:31 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default not really

only an open element filter will make it sound louder. A drop it won't, you have to eliminate the resenator box to change the sound.

No one really gets any more power/MPG, but you do risk mucking up your mass air flow meter. I've taken out the air box to see the sensor, its a small thin wire. Since I run a KN Drop in I cleaned mine with some alcohol. Living in San Diego we don't have much sand in the air to get by the KN but if you lived somewhere else I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 11-08-04, 06:42 AM
Cecioboe
Driver School Candidate

So changing to a high flow air filter will not enhance the mileage and/or performance?
Old 11-08-04, 07:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

My conclusion is that it is not the filter (or the cold air box if you have the Weapon-R) that is the problem with getting more power...it is the basic design of the RX300 intake system.

Look at it.

You have your air box where you put in your filter, but where does it take the air from...a small box-sized spaced on the front of the driver side of the car. Take a look at the Sienna or the FX35/45, and it takes it with a direct tube right above the radiator...a more direct route.

I have experimented with both Toyota's OEM and the K&N. My logical conclusion is now that none worked. I am going to put in a Cold Air Box, and want to modify the RX300 intake along the lines of the Sienna to get some more force.

Last edited by Lexmex; 11-08-04 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 01:08 AM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

I did not notice too much of a difference
Old 01-30-05, 08:15 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the intake resonator theres prob a big one if u take the front right fender plastic piece out u will see it take that off leave stock filter on smile w/ ur new free power
Old 01-30-05, 10:07 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
My conclusion is that it is not the filter (or the cold air box if you have the Weapon-R) that is the problem with getting more power...it is the basic design of the RX300 intake system.

Look at it.

You have your air box where you put in your filter, but where does it take the air from...a small box-sized spaced on the front of the driver side of the car. Take a look at the Sienna or the FX35/45, and it takes it with a direct tube right above the radiator...a more direct route.

I have experimented with both Toyota's OEM and the K&N. My logical conclusion is now that none worked. I am going to put in a Cold Air Box, and want to modify the RX300 intake along the lines of the Sienna to get some more force.
You can gain power by lower the inlet air temperature or/and increase airflow. Taking hot air above the radiator will rob your engine power. There is a reason to call a good intake "Cold" Air Box .
Old 01-31-05, 03:53 AM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I HAVE A TR D FILTER FOR SALE from an RX300

See my ad in the Classifieds.

PLEASE
Old 01-31-05, 07:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Worth it?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see spending the money and risking the long-term viability of my engine on a horsepower increase of one percent. IMHO, it's not worth it. The RX's V6 is pretty efficient in stock form and would require a blower and some radical chip changes to achieve significant increases in performance. Of course, in the process it turns into a hand grenade . . .

Now, if you want performance, look into a big block swap, RWD conversion, fender flares, and 14" slicks.

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-31-05 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 08:12 AM
L3XUSNUBOI
Driver School Candidate

Default Cold Air Intake

so you guys think or not think that it is a good investment in getting a cold air intake for the veichle. well the weapon R is the only one i've come across and its well, not so bad in pricing. also is there nething you need to do on the 330 like removing something to place the cold air intake in? can you really feel the difference in HP or does it just make the engine at a higher efficency or higher proformace than normal?
Old 01-31-05, 10:59 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see spending the money and risking the long-term viability of my engine on a horsepower increase of one percent. IMHO, it's not worth it. The RX's V6 is pretty efficient in stock form and would require a blower and some radical chip changes to achieve significant increases in performance. Of course, in the process it turns into a hand grenade . . .

Now, if you want performance, look into a big block swap, RWD conversion, fender flares, and 14" slicks.
Yes, almost all modifications are tradeoffs, I installed K&N filter to gain better airflow, a little higher power, and 2 mpg better at the expense of letting more dust in the engine. (But I am in California, dust is minimal during winter.)

No, because stock setup is not as effecient as you may believe. e.g. If you ever lift a RX300 rim with tire, you will notice it weights about 45lbs each. The rim itself is close to 30 lbs, lightweight rims made by 5zigen weights about half. Spinning that 60 lbs extra rotational mass 100% of the time is not effecient - you want power to propell RX forward, not wasted. A mod such as lightweight rims will give you better performance because RX300's drivetrain is more effecient.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 02-01-05 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-01-05, 12:32 AM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

I have a much simpler viewpoint to share ...

MAF sensor and the electronics behind it control the fuel/air ratio. Unless the engine is starving for air (near extreeme rpm if not red line say 75% (swag))just changing the air filter will not get you anything worth-while at normal driving condition. Unless someone cracks the mapping and then modifies it to gain full benifit with the easy breathing air filter the mod is some what wasteful.

Incidentally have a look at the exhaust orfice and compare ot with air inlet size. Any chemist here who can tell us the hot combuted exhaust volume vs, fresh air ratio ? Somehow I have the feeling that RX inlet size is ok.

Salim
Old 02-01-05, 05:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

If you see my previous post from last year, this is a major problem.

What did I do?

I did remove the air resonator box (I even experimented with porking a hole in it to suck up air). I am going to put a metal pipe directly from the intake to the area I mentioned below, where the air resonator box used to sit, the filter will go there.

I attached an APC Intimidator direct exhaust, and will be removing the resonator and going to a straight pipe. I am contemplating using a dual exhaust once I work out the idea a little more.

I do have a Weapon-R intake (waiting forever on the cold air box), but I attached a K&N cone filter (the one with the inverted piece rather than the metallic cover. My new pipe system will go through the cold air box.

I can tell you that on the highway, I get a big, big difference in acceleration from all of this.

On the track, virtually no difference. I get absolutely .2 difference on my 1/4 mile times.
Old 02-01-05, 10:08 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Lexmex.
How do you shift during 1/4 mile? I hope you are not just leaving it at D

I am also going to take the resonator off and try to install an air inlet horn such as that of Comptech's Icebox made for Acura TL. Basically it is a cone filter, an air horn, and two TL's resonators removed. Not only you get better airflow, but also air inlet source changes from inside the engine bay to outside for colder air. A TL type S has dyno proven result of 16 hp and 16 ft lbs of torque at 3500 RPM.

Taking out RX's resonator, K&N filter, and a custom made inlet tube with air horn will do essentially the same thing. See Icebox's setup

http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/ins089.pdf

Drilling a hole in the resonator will not imrove your air flow much. Extend your pipe to where the resonator is works better. Home depot sells 4"to2", 3"to2" elbow rubber tubes, they are only $5-7 each and may serve as air horns.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 02-01-05 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Modifications (high flow air filter)