RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Belt Squeek in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 03:44 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Belt Squeek in Cold Weather

The accessory belt in my '02 RX squeeks when I start it in the cold morning. It squeeks for about a minute or so, then slowly subsides. The noise seems to be from the front upper pulley area near the alternator, but I can't say 100% sure. It only happens in cold morning, so I bet the dealer can't duplicate the problem.

Is this something to worry about? Or should I simply get the belt replaced? Is it covered under Lexus warranty or is it considered a normal wear item?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-04, 05:25 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i get that too, but doesnt really bother me unless im outside the car.

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
The accessory belt in my '02 RX squeeks when I start it in the cold morning. It squeeks for about a minute or so, then slowly subsides. The noise seems to be from the front upper pulley area near the alternator, but I can't say 100% sure. It only happens in cold morning, so I bet the dealer can't duplicate the problem.....
Thanks.
Old 12-29-04, 08:11 PM
salimshah

Received 1,089 Likes on 980 Posts

It is more of a neusense (sp?) than an actual problem. Delarship put on belt dressing to quell it but then it has come back. The choice is to replace the belt early or wait out till it is time to change it. I have opted to live with the problem till that time.

Salim
Old 12-30-04, 03:15 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

I was having the same noise a for months back until i took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago. What they told me was that the belt was a little loose around the alternator area. They told me that all they had to do was tighten the belt which did the trick. But after yesterday in the dreaded rain of L.A. and running over some large puddles of water, the squeaking came back. To the dealer i go...

Try taking it to the dealer, im positive they will either replace or tighten the belt.
Old 12-30-04, 05:37 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Belt noise

My 2001 RX had the same problem. I nursed it along with some belt dressing. Untill the next time I took it in for warranty work. They changed the belts. No problem so far.
Old 12-30-04, 08:16 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had the same problem with my RX as well. You just have to tighten the belt a bit. It's a pain in the a$$ because the bolts you need to reach are difficult to get to.
Old 12-30-04, 08:33 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Same thing happened the second winter I had my '02 RX. Dealer said it was the power steering pump and was normal. I then asked them why it didn't squeak the first winter I had it and why my sister's RX doesn't squeal when it's cold. They then replaced the belt and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-30-04, 09:30 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys.

Was the belt change covered under warranty?
Old 12-31-04, 05:28 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Yes, for me it was.
Old 01-10-06, 04:48 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steevr
Same thing happened the second winter I had my '02 RX. Dealer said it was the power steering pump and was normal. I then asked them why it didn't squeak the first winter I had it and why my sister's RX doesn't squeal when it's cold. They then replaced the belt and I haven't had a problem since.
As I am told the squealing comes from the accessory belts or v-belts. whatever you want to call them. when i start up my car in the morning, there is a high pitched squealing noise that subsides after a couple of minutes. These accessory belts (one for alternator and one for power steering) need to be replaced after 4 years/60k miles. I need to bring these in to the dealer to change. I have 62K miles and they were not done during my major tune-up. hope this helps. cheers
Old 01-11-06, 08:02 AM
Ducky
Rookie

Man, my 2006 RX squeels for about 5-10 seconds whenever the car is parked in the rain or snow. It has less than 2,000 miles on and it does that. The squeeling just makes the car sounds like a POS. I'm taking it for a service because of that this week. Is this a common issue/nuisance with rx's?
Old 07-11-06, 04:38 PM
Alan Paton
Driver School Candidate

Default Belt Squeal

I replaced my belts in my 1999 RX300 after squealed in cold weather. It lasted for about eight months. I sprayed belt dressing on for 4 months only stopped it for very short time.

I just replace the alternator belt only again. It started squealing in less than a day.
It now squeals after 5 minutes sitting (warm weather) everytime for 10 to 40 seconds.
Very loud!

Any suggestions?
Old 07-12-06, 05:17 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Snug it up to 1/4 inch deflection at the belt center between two pulleys.
Old 07-12-06, 06:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Even after Lexus did mine in Dec. 2004 (just before the last of remaining warranties were expiring), mine squealed a good bit in the morning when I started out and it took several months before it died down completely.
Old 07-12-06, 07:04 AM
witmaRX
Rookie

similar noise used to come from the belts in mine, the dealer first lubed the belts and the next time they changed, but not under warranty, they chrage $180 parts and labor.

Quick Reply: Belt Squeek in Cold Weather