RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Irridium Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 10:21 AM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Irridium Spark Plugs

Local Toyota Dealer's service department wants $169.95 plus taxes to replace 6 irridiumm spark plugs on my 1999 RX300.

Also, they want $239.95 plus taxes to change the timing belt and $45.00 plus taxes for exterior belt.

Another Toyota dealer quoted a price of $269.95 plus taxes to change the timing belt and $60.00 for exterior belt. Irridium Spark Plugs were quoted $13.00 each plus labor and didn't say how much for labor.

At that rate six plugs would cost $78.00 and first dealer would be charging $91.95 labor which sounds a little steep.

Second dealer also told me the Lexus belt cost more money than the Toyota belt. When I mentioned they both had the same part number they were unaware of it. Claimed they didn't know the engine in the 1999 RX300 was same engine as in the Toyota Highlander. That's hard to believe.

GCrim21
Old 01-04-05, 10:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Was the price for the Iridium plugs the same if it was a V6 Camry/Highlander? Yes as you mentioned they are the exact same engine. I just got a 2005 NGK spark plug catalogue with cross references for all other plug makers (including Denso) with part numbers. If you know the correct part numbers for the Denso & NGK (Toyota / Lexus uses either or) you might be able to locate them at a regular auto parts store for less money. Do you have a good independent mechanic you can take your vehicle to get the work done?

gc, did you make a decision on your tires (I assume you got my reply PM)?
Old 01-04-05, 10:53 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gcrim21
Local Toyota Dealer's service department wants $169.95 plus taxes to replace 6 irridiumm spark plugs on my 1999 RX300.

Also, they want $239.95 plus taxes to change the timing belt and $45.00 plus taxes for exterior belt.
Dealership price is always higher than independent shops. Those prices (parts & labor) are actually very good IMO.
Old 01-04-05, 11:21 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Dealership price is always higher than independent shops. Those prices (parts & labor) are actually very good IMO.
The prices aren't bad, but do some digging & I bet you can find them cheaper.
Old 01-04-05, 03:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

yes they should be the same,

SK20 - OEM Denso Iridium
IK20 - Denso Hi Power Performance Iridium
PK20 - OEM Denso Platinum
Old 01-04-05, 03:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Also, the rear bank is the hardest part to get on the 1MZ/3MZ which explains why the labor hours drive up the price. The front 3 plugs are cake, the rear is not fun.
Old 01-05-05, 07:34 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by flipside909
yes they should be the same,

SK20 - OEM Denso Iridium
IK20 - Denso Hi Power Performance Iridium
PK20 - OEM Denso Platinum

The high power Denso's I don't think last as long as OEM iridiums.......the hi power I think are good for only 30,000 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong flip. I'll double check my NGK catalogue later on just to confirm.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-05-05 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-05-05, 10:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
The high power Denso's I don't think last as long as OEM iridiums.......the hi power I think are good for only 30,000 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong flip. I'll double check my NGK catalogue later on just to confirm.
That's correct the hi-powers are performance plugs so the lifespan is much shorter than the OEM iridiums.
Old 01-05-05, 03:12 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's correct the hi-powers are performance plugs so the lifespan is much shorter than the OEM iridiums.
Thought so.
Old 01-05-05, 11:54 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Toyota dealer quoted a price of $269.95 plus taxes to change the timing belt and $60.00 for exterior belt. Irridium Spark Plugs were quoted $13.00 each plus labor and didn't say how much for labor.

At that rate six plugs would cost $78.00 and first dealer would be charging $91.95 labor which sounds a little steep.

Second dealer also told me the Lexus belt cost more money than the Toyota belt. When I mentioned they both had the same part number they were unaware of it. Claimed they didn't know the engine in the 1999 RX300 was same engine as in the Toyota Highlander. That's hard to believe.

GCrim21
It's pretty common to get parts cheaper from a Toyota dealer than from Lexus. I have a Toyota / Lexus dealer near me that has seperate parts departments for each brand in the SAME building. I always get different prices for the same part number depending on which window i go to. Obviously Lexus parts window charges more than Toyota. For example, they want $2.50 more for a quart of Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid!
Old 01-06-05, 06:16 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Ok, directly from the latest 2005 NGK spark plug catalogue with cross reference numbers for the Denso as well. OEM iridium spark plugs for 1999 RX 300 are as follows: (same part numbers also apply to the ES 300 as it's the same engine).

- OEM original equipment iridium NGK (laser iridium) part # IFR6T-11 - (NGK stock # 4589 ) gap - .044

- Denso original equipment iridium part # SK20R11 gap - .44

These numbers should be on the actual spark plug of their respected makers.

These are the long lasting ones.......there are other iridiums from both NGK (IX series) & Denso (IK series), but they will not last as long (good for 30,000 miles to 50,000 miles as compared to 100,000 miles + with the OEM numbers I have given above). I hope this helps & Good Luck!
Old 01-06-05, 09:05 AM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Irridium Spark Plugs

Thanks Lexusfreak, HarrierAWS, flipside909, and jeremyp111 for your responses.
No Lexusfreak I haven't purchased any tires yet and I haven't read your PM. I will do that and thanks for your recommendations and suggestions.

I have decided not to change the irridium spark plugs that came from the factory in my 1999 RX300. I was going to change them because of what the owner's manual said. The 1999 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement in the Scheduled Maintenance Log Book that came with the RX said to replace the spark plugs at 90,000 miles. Not long after I bought the RX, I received an 'updated' Supplement Manual and it says to replace the spark plugs at 60,000 miles. I had been told by one Lexus service rep to replace them at 90,000 miles that they didn't require replacing at 60,000.
The reason I had mentioned replacing them at 90,000 miles was I had talked to a Toyota dealer's service manager about replacing the timing belt and water pump and he told me I should replace the irridium plugs at 90,000 miles because the engine and drivetrain are identical to the Toyota Highlander and the "official Highlander manual" says replace them at 90,000. Yesterday I was talking to another Lexus dealer's rep and he showed me in the "official service manual for 1998-2003 RX300" that the irridium spark plugs did not have to be replaced until 120,000 miles unless a problem had developed because of the spark plugs. He said it is a waste of money to replace them less than 120,000 and advised against replacing them. I was a little surprised at him showing me the manual and saying that. However, he is the same service rep who quoted me $1,200.00 to replace the timing belt with related parts and water pump.

Right now a local independent garage owner whom I trust is getting prices for the parts and he is checking prices from Lexus dealer's and Toyota dealer;s for best pricing. He has and does repairs and replacements on Lexus vehicles. My wife had a Toyota Avalon that developed a power steering leak at 71,000 miles. We were told at the Toyota dealer it would cost $971.00 to 'fix' it. By 'fix it' the service rep meant replacing the rack and pinion steering box. I had the local independent garage owner do the work and he charged $582.00 to do the job. I asked him where he got the unit and he said from 'the' Toyota dealer. The same dealer that had quoted me $389.00 more for the same work!
A side note: I asked the Toyota dealer service rep why did the whole power steering box have to be replaced in order to repair a leak and he told me because it was a sealed unit. I then asked him if it was a sealed unit, then why is it leaking? "Couldn't be sealed if it is puddling fluid on the garage floor". He said ..... 'all I know that it is a sealed unit and has to be replaced to stop the leak'.

I realize all dealer's push their service departments to sell services for more revenue. Some push more than other's.
Old 01-06-05, 10:12 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yesterday I was talking to another Lexus dealer's rep and he showed me in the "official service manual for 1998-2003 RX300" that the irridium spark plugs did not have to be replaced until 120,000 miles unless a problem had developed because of the spark plugs.

Right now a local independent garage owner whom I trust is getting prices for the parts and he is checking prices from Lexus dealer's and Toyota dealer;s for best pricing.
Indeed, my 2002 manual says 120K miles for plug change. These Iridium plugs can last much longer than regular plugs.

It's always better to take the vehicle to a mechanic you trust.
Old 01-06-05, 10:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Thanks Lexusfreak, HarrierAWS, flipside909, and jeremyp111 for your responses.
No Lexusfreak I haven't purchased any tires yet and I haven't read your PM. I will do that and thanks for your recommendations and suggestions.

I have decided not to change the irridium spark plugs that came from the factory in my 1999 RX300. I was going to change them because of what the owner's manual said. The 1999 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement in the Scheduled Maintenance Log Book that came with the RX said to replace the spark plugs at 90,000 miles. Not long after I bought the RX, I received an 'updated' Supplement Manual and it says to replace the spark plugs at 60,000 miles. I had been told by one Lexus service rep to replace them at 90,000 miles that they didn't require replacing at 60,000.
The reason I had mentioned replacing them at 90,000 miles was I had talked to a Toyota dealer's service manager about replacing the timing belt and water pump and he told me I should replace the irridium plugs at 90,000 miles because the engine and drivetrain are identical to the Toyota Highlander and the "official Highlander manual" says replace them at 90,000. Yesterday I was talking to another Lexus dealer's rep and he showed me in the "official service manual for 1998-2003 RX300" that the irridium spark plugs did not have to be replaced until 120,000 miles unless a problem had developed because of the spark plugs. He said it is a waste of money to replace them less than 120,000 and advised against replacing them. I was a little surprised at him showing me the manual and saying that. However, he is the same service rep who quoted me $1,200.00 to replace the timing belt with related parts and water pump.

Right now a local independent garage owner whom I trust is getting prices for the parts and he is checking prices from Lexus dealer's and Toyota dealer;s for best pricing. He has and does repairs and replacements on Lexus vehicles. My wife had a Toyota Avalon that developed a power steering leak at 71,000 miles. We were told at the Toyota dealer it would cost $971.00 to 'fix' it. By 'fix it' the service rep meant replacing the rack and pinion steering box. I had the local independent garage owner do the work and he charged $582.00 to do the job. I asked him where he got the unit and he said from 'the' Toyota dealer. The same dealer that had quoted me $389.00 more for the same work!
A side note: I asked the Toyota dealer service rep why did the whole power steering box have to be replaced in order to repair a leak and he told me because it was a sealed unit. I then asked him if it was a sealed unit, then why is it leaking? "Couldn't be sealed if it is puddling fluid on the garage floor". He said ..... 'all I know that it is a sealed unit and has to be replaced to stop the leak'.

I realize all dealer's push their service departments to sell services for more revenue. Some push more than other's.
Agreed gent's.....hey....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At least gc, you have the exact part numbers for when the time comes to replace the spark plugs. The NGK rep told me to go with the OEM 'laser Iridium' plugs as they are the ones that are good for 120,000 miles.......stay away from the IX series Iridiums (same goes for the IK20 Denso)....they are only good for 30,000 - 50,000 miles.

gc, if you have anymore questions about tires after you get my PM, feel free to ask.
Old 01-06-05, 01:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

My wife had a Toyota Avalon that developed a power steering leak at 71,000 miles. We were told at the Toyota dealer it would cost $971.00 to 'fix' it. By 'fix it' the service rep meant replacing the rack and pinion steering box. I had the local independent garage owner do the work and he charged $582.00 to do the job. I asked him where he got the unit and he said from 'the' Toyota dealer. The same dealer that had quoted me $389.00 more for the same work!
Funny you mention that leak. My 95 Avalon XLS had the same problem. Rack leak at around 75k. The fix was a rack replacement since both ends of the rack were leaking, there was really no fix. Something about the rack seals were gone. One side started, then the other. So there were two puddles under the car after it sat for a while. The rebuilt rack and labor at my local Toyota dealership service only charged me $620 w/tax for the whole thing. I guess I got lucky.

Quick Reply: Irridium Spark Plugs