RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX Sludge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 02:42 PM
dmodem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 RX Sludge Problem

My wife has an '01 RX with 34,000 miles that has been maintained religiously. Recently, I noticed blue exaust smoke periodically when she'd start the vehicle, and oil consumption ahs increased somewhat. Today I had in in the shop for a noisy drive belt, and I asked them to check on the oil/smoke concerns. I just received a call from the dealership that the engine WILL be replaced due to an internal sludge problem. Good for us, but bad for some owners who maintain regularly and don't see this coming.
Old 01-12-05, 03:54 PM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

i'm sorry to hear that! good thing they're going to replace it for ya!

Originally Posted by dmodem
My wife has an '01 RX with 34,000 miles that has been maintained religiously. Recently, I noticed blue exaust smoke periodically when she'd start the vehicle, and oil consumption ahs increased somewhat. Today I had in in the shop for a noisy drive belt, and I asked them to check on the oil/smoke concerns. I just received a call from the dealership that the engine WILL be replaced due to an internal sludge problem. Good for us, but bad for some owners who maintain regularly and don't see this coming.
Old 01-13-05, 06:25 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

It must be very frustrating for owners that do regular oil & filter changes at the correct intervals & still they need an engine! I hope I don't have that experence.

dmodem, did you use conventional oil or synthetic?
Old 01-13-05, 09:30 AM
LexFather

Well, that is kind of bad news but good news on Toyotas part. They did not have to issue any re-call for this since but wanted to keep owners satisfied.

Please update us on how long it took to replace.
Old 01-13-05, 09:42 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well, that is kind of bad news but good news on Toyotas part. They did not have to issue any re-call for this since but wanted to keep owners satisfied.

Agreed 1SICK.....I just wonder (at least in this specific case) why the engine had the gelling problem to begin with? All maintenance was on time & up to date according to dmodem. Weird.
Old 01-13-05, 01:13 PM
dmodem
Driver School Candidate

All maintenance was done with conventional oil. RX went into the shop yesterday, and they told me it should be finished sometime next week.
Old 01-13-05, 02:02 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Yeah, if it were a Chrysler, it would be called a "serious defect," but since it's a Toyota, it's "Good customer service." Figure that one out.
Old 01-13-05, 07:41 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by mmahamm
Yeah, if it were a Chrysler, it would be called a "serious defect," but since it's a Toyota, it's "Good customer service." Figure that one out.
That's a fair point mm.

dmodem, if you think about it when you pick your RX up after the new engine has been installed, coule you ask them what possibiliy exists as to why the engine gelled & failed to begin with with all maintenance done on the vehicle? I'd be very courious as to their answer.
Old 01-13-05, 08:22 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

same problem with our 02 rx that has 34000 miles on it also. took it in last week to get an oil change and they said same problem, said the system would be cleaned and flushed out in about 20 hours, it took a week! not only that but when we got the car back the overdrive doesn't work anymore ? sending it back again to have it checked, just a pain in the ***.
Old 01-14-05, 03:04 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy

If that's the case....perhaps it's wiser to use synthetic oil instead of dino oil on these engines That's troubling.
Old 01-14-05, 03:06 AM
dmodem
Driver School Candidate

After I receive the RX back with the new engine, synthetic will be the only oil that I'll use. Hopefully, that may eliminate any future problems....who knows?
Old 01-14-05, 07:34 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face

After I receive the RX back with the new engine, synthetic will be the only oil that I'll use. Hopefully, that may eliminate any future problems....who knows?
Let's hope or I may be in for a 'suprise' down the road too.
Old 01-14-05, 09:27 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

According to CR owner's survey, less than 2% of RX300 owners report engine-related problems. This includes those who don't change oil regularly. So while it's unfortunate that a few get engine gelling issue, rest assure that it is a rare occurrence.

Lexus has offered a generous 8-year/unlimited mile warranty on these engines. So if the engine gelled, you'll get a brand new engine. Not a bad deal. (Just don't break down in wolf country.)

Note that some "synthetic oil" in the market are actually more refined dino oil. The term "synthetic" is being used very loosely nowadays. I could be wrong, but I believe Castrol Syntec and Mobil One are this type of synthetic. I wouldn't pay more for these.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 01-14-05 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-14-05, 09:58 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
According to CR owner's survey, less than 2% of RX300 owners report engine-related problems. This includes those who don't change oil regularly. So while it's unfortunate that a few get engine gelling issue, rest assure that it is a rare occurrence.

Lexus has offered a generous 8-year/unlimited mile warranty on these engines. So if the engine gelled, you'll get a brand new engine. Not a bad deal. (Just don't break down in wolf country.)

Note that some "synthetic oil" in the market are actually more refined dino oil. The term "synthetic" is being used very loosely nowadays. I could be wrong, but I believe Castrol Syntec and Mobil One are this type of synthetic. I wouldn't pay more for these.
You mean the Mobil 1 with 'super syn' ? I've heard the Castrol Syntec being something to that effect you mention, but not Mobil 1 synthetic. Oh geez, I hope not!
Old 01-14-05, 04:52 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be wrong, but here's what I understand....

Mobil One used to be real synthetic. Then Castrol Syntec came out. It is more refined dino yet claimed to be synthetic. (Not illegal since there's no legal standard on the term "synthetic" for motor oil.)

Mobil cried foul and asked FTC to force Castrol to remove the term synthetic. It didn't go anywhere. So Mobil decided to use refine dino as well, since it's cheaper to make.

Quick Reply: 2001 RX Sludge Problem