RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

gas overflow question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 09:27 AM
macpl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry gas overflow question

This seems to be a silly question but I have only 2k miles on my 50rx330 and I have trouble with the gas tank overflowing when I fill up with gas, unless I use the s l o w e s t setting for gas refill. I know there should be a sensor on the gas pump nozzel that should control this but I have had this experience at 4 different gas stations, multiple times at each one.

I am getting frustrated with a gas drenched exterior and a gas puddle beside my vehicle when I refuel. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-25-05, 10:22 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm, have not heard of this one! Has it been like that since you have bought it? If so I would have the dealer look at the hose connection between the filler and the gas tank---could be a twist or kink in the hose??
Old 01-25-05, 11:01 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Unless you're topping off, I have no clue...
Old 01-25-05, 11:33 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Sorry ... I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed that it's quite difficult to "top off" the tank compared to my past cars. Maybe since the angle is more vertical it fills closer to the top in the first place w/o shutting off.
Old 01-26-05, 12:39 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think its one of the easiest cars to top off! I can sit there with the nozzle on a very slow output(got to find certain nozzles) with me controling the lever! I can continually pour gas in my tank till it doesnt take anymore--Up to the top and then Im done.
Old 01-26-05, 02:38 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by msilverIS
Unless you're topping off, I have no clue...
Agreed! I assume you are trying different gas pumps as opposed to the same one? I haven't heard of the problem either....unless your topping it off right to the brim of the tank.
Old 01-26-05, 04:18 PM
macpl
Driver School Candidate

The funny thing is that I do absolutely NO topping off. I just set the nozzel to pump and clean the windows. When I wait for the pump to shut off I hear a slight gurgle and then slosh, gas comes out of the vehicle slopping all over the vehicle and making a small puddle on the ground. I have never tried to top off as I am usually getting the overflow. I have tried different pumps at different stations and always the same result unless, I use the slowest pump setting. The second odd thing is I have been using the same gas stations for my 2 honda vehicles and never encountered so much as a slight drop of gas overflow. It sounds like this is something entirely unique to my vehicle.......lucky me.
Old 01-27-05, 04:53 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by macpl
The funny thing is that I do absolutely NO topping off. I just set the nozzel to pump and clean the windows. When I wait for the pump to shut off I hear a slight gurgle and then slosh, gas comes out of the vehicle slopping all over the vehicle and making a small puddle on the ground. I have never tried to top off as I am usually getting the overflow. I have tried different pumps at different stations and always the same result unless, I use the slowest pump setting. The second odd thing is I have been using the same gas stations for my 2 honda vehicles and never encountered so much as a slight drop of gas overflow. It sounds like this is something entirely unique to my vehicle.......lucky me.
Bring it to the attention of your Lexus dealer........see what they can do & say about your concern & let us know what the problem is.
Old 01-27-05, 12:16 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas

Sometimes using the slowest setting can be counterproductive. The gas fills so slowly that it does trigger the "stop" as quickly as when the flow is faster. I've had this happen. On my 2004, I just set the nozzle full open and it stops every time. But depending on your state, you may not be able to seat the nozzle as far in the tank as in Indiana as we do not have the "vapor shrouds", so that may be your problem.
Oliver
Old 01-28-05, 03:23 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 6 years of RX's I haven't had this problem either self fueling or full service.
Please post us the answer to the problem when you find it.
Old 01-28-05, 06:34 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about this one and I'm not sure why it's happening.
Let me see if I can stir some thoughts from the group...

The shut-off on the gas pump is based on a vacuum system. When fuel is flowing freely through the nozzle, it creates a vacuum that is measured by a tube inside the handle. As the tank fills and the fuel slows down, the amount of vacuum drops. When the vacuum drops to a certain point, the auto shut-off kicks in.

It would be a lot easier to explain the opposite problem - why the pump shuts off too soon. That would be due to poor flow into the tank, either due to an actual obstruction in the fill pipe or poor venting of the fuel tank.

So, what sort of thing would be specific to the car that would allow the gas to keep moving quickly, even though the tank is almost full, and fool the gas pump? Maybe too much venting of the fuel tank?
Old 01-31-05, 05:07 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas

Or the nozzle is not inserted deep enough into the neck for the reaction time of the mechanical valve to shut off without spillage. As I said, some states, Phoenix, AZ I know has these, require a hood or bellows on the nozzle to seal the vapors. This can keep the nozzle from fully seating into the filler neck unless you are careful to compress the hood/bellows. Indiana does not so the nozzle fits full length in there. I can actually fill more if I try, though it does top off pretty close by itself.
Oliver
Old 01-31-05, 09:04 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by macpl
The funny thing is that I do absolutely NO topping off................. The second odd thing is I have been using the same gas stations for my 2 honda vehicles and never encountered so much as a slight drop of gas overflow. It sounds like this is something entirely unique to my vehicle.......lucky me...
Definitely bring it to the dealer. Also you should report this to NHTSA since it is a safety issue. There may be others out there experiencing the same issue. If enough complaints are received, NHTSA will launch an investigation that might lead to a recall.

In the meantime, don't leave the gas pump unattended. Happy motoring.
Old 01-31-05, 11:16 AM
mmahamm
Driver

I have read about similar problems, and I would suspect it has something to do with the Evaporation canister. This is part of the emissions control system that prevents gas fumes from escaping. If you aggressively "top off" your tank every time, like Booyah says he does, you run the risk of damaging the canister. If the canister is saturated with gas, I think one of the known symptoms is problems with gas cutoff at gas stations.
Old 02-23-05, 10:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

For the curious ...

Fuel shut off sensor is a nifty device built on the the fule filling nozzle tip. As the gas falls over the sensor into a tank or container it produces low pressure which is sensed as the flow condition. When the tank fills up the air gap in front of the sensor is replaced by the gasoline and the low pressure condition does not exist. The sensor monitors this and mechanical shut down is activated.

With this understanding, the best thing to do would be to shove the nozzle all the way into the filler tube ... all the way to the hilt and fill with the most flow possible,

Salim

Quick Reply: gas overflow question