RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

For those that tune up your own vehicle: which oil/air filters do you purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 02:49 PM
MR_RX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that tune up your own vehicle: which oil/air filters do you purchase?

I called Lexus Dealer and they say 28 bucks for an airfilter and 10 for an Oil filter. Not that I can't afford them, but seemed a bit high when Pep Boys has filters for 14 bucks for the air and 3 for the oil......hmmmm So does it really make that big of a difference???? Thought we were just paying for the name brand tag anyways??? Hope someone can prove to me that there is a big difference here! Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-14-05, 02:55 PM
BlackRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air & Oil Filters

Get a TRD or K & N air filter for around $45-50 and never have to replace again. They will need to be cleaned about every 30-50K miles. There are many good oil filters for $5, Fram, Purolator, etc. I'm sure others on here can give you more options.

Old 02-14-05, 02:56 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could get the oil filter from Toyota for about $6. Toyota filters seem to be very good. You may be able to use other brands for as little as $1 (like the Car&Driver brand on sale.) The general consensus here is to avoid Fram, though I have no opinion on it.

Not sure if the Highlander air filter can fit. They are mechanically identical. Bring yours and compare.
Old 02-14-05, 03:59 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Highlander V6 and Sienna engine parts fit the RX for the same model year.

At Irontoad, the oil filter is 4.25, and the engine air filter is about 13.00.

My local Toyota dealer, who always beats the area Lexus dealers on parts, wanted 5.50 and 19.00, respectively.

I prefer to stick with Toyota OEM parts unless they're really cost-prohibitive.
Old 02-14-05, 04:08 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Originally Posted by MR_RX300
I called Lexus Dealer and they say 28 bucks for an airfilter and 10 for an Oil filter. Not that I can't afford them, but seemed a bit high when Pep Boys has filters for 14 bucks for the air and 3 for the oil......hmmmm So does it really make that big of a difference???? Thought we were just paying for the name brand tag anyways??? Hope someone can prove to me that there is a big difference here! Thanks,
Mike

Here is a site that may help you decide on the oil filter part.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 02-14-05, 11:02 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_RX300
Mike

Oil filter with paper as filtering material can catch >20 micron particles, I use filters with synthetic material that are capable of filtering particles from 10 to 20 micron for better protection: FRAM X2, Purolator PureOne, Bosch Premium, and K&N. Chose the OEM filter made in Japan if you don't trust the aftermarket ones.
After you get a new air filter, try to take your old paper filter apart and decide yourself whether the higher flow K&N is better.
Old 02-15-05, 01:44 AM
Domo-Kun
Rookie

All OEM filters from Toyota on my '01 IS300 not a single problem. I plan on the same with the '05 RX330 I bought last week. Call the Lexus parts department, get the part number for your filters and then call a local Toyota dealer and order. Your oil filter should not be more than $5.50 and the air filter should not be more than $15. Good luck
Old 02-15-05, 09:24 AM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: filters

I am a big believer in using OEM parts. Toyota oil and air filters for Highlander, 2001-2004 that I know of, and 1999 - 2003 RX300 all use the the same filters. The cabin/airconditioning, filter is different for the ES.

I actually use Mobil's M1-102 oil filter. It costs more but I think it's a little better because I use Mobil1 Super Syn motor oil as well Right now I have a Toyota oil filter in the ES because I already had one on hand when I changed oil.
Old 02-15-05, 10:15 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gcrim21
I am a big believer in using OEM parts. Toyota oil and air filters for Highlander, 2001-2004 that I know of, and 1999 - 2003 RX300 all use the the same filters. The cabin/airconditioning, filter is different for the ES.

I actually use Mobil's M1-102 oil filter. It costs more but I think it's a little better because I use Mobil1 Super Syn motor oil as well Right now I have a Toyota oil filter in the ES because I already had one on hand when I changed oil.
Don't understand your conflicting statements. You use Mobil One oil filter and think it is better than OEM. But you are also a big believer in OEM parts.
Old 02-16-05, 04:12 AM
joako
Driver

K&N "lifetime" air filters (dont forget to clean them!) and OEM oil filters.
Old 02-16-05, 07:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

On my 99RX, I use a K&N oil filter and K&N cone filter with a Weapon-R intake (waiting on the Weapon-R cold air box). The Weapon-R filter just did not cut it for me.
Old 02-16-05, 10:19 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

I use OEM Part # 90915-YZZD1 for right now.....until I find a better oil filter. Still researching.....
Will keep you guys posted!!
Attached Thumbnails For those that tune up your own vehicle: which oil/air filters do you purchase?-rplcmtoilfilter-.jpg  
Old 02-16-05, 10:43 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextranny
I use OEM Part # 90915-YZZD1 for right now.....until I find a better oil filter. Still researching.....
Will keep you guys posted!!
If you still have the old OEM filter made in Thailand, cut it open with a hacksaw and see the internal design. Just because it says Toyota does not mean you are getting a quality part.
There is a reason for OEM charges more for parts made in Japan.
Toyota may or may not doing what Honda is doing here:
Honda Oil Filer Study

Honda OEM filter made in Canada is made by FRAM, those made in Japan/US are subcontracted to different manufaturers. Be careful what you buy, even from the dealer.
Old 02-16-05, 11:18 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
If you still have the old OEM filter made in Thailand, cut it open with a hacksaw and see the internal design. Just because it says Toyota does not mean you are getting a quality part.
There is a reason for OEM charges more for parts made in Japan.
Toyota may or may not doing what Honda is doing here:
Honda Oil Filer Study

Honda OEM filter made in Canada is made by FRAM, those made in Japan/US are subcontracted to different manufaturers. Be careful what you buy, even from the dealer.
Thanks! That was a very good article. Hmmm.....

Actually, the oil filter I just replaced was the original that came with the car. Was Made in Japan. Unfortunately, i didn't cut it open. But, I compared it to the OEM replacement one Made in Thailand and I could tell right away by the poor quality of workmanship from the outside. The one made in Thailand looks very cheap! I will probably change brand after my next oil change.

Look at my previous thread....for pictures!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151287
Old 02-16-05, 11:22 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Thanks! That was a very good article. Hmmm.....

Actually, the oil filter I just replaced was the original that came with the car. Was Made in Japan. Unfortunately, i didn't cut it open. But, I compared it to the OEM replacement one Made in Thailand and I could tell right away by the poor quality of workmanship from the outside. The one made in Thailand looks very cheap! I will probably change brand after my next oil change.

Look at my previous thread....for pictures!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151287

Here is my other link with pictures of OEM oil filter.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151186

Quick Reply: For those that tune up your own vehicle: which oil/air filters do you purchase?